Blueskysea B1W in a truck

dash riposki

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Dash Cam
too many
I've been using the B1w in a tractor trailer for 4-5 days, and I'm still forming an opinion on it.

I've recently been using a DDPai Mini, (which I really dislike to the point I'll give it to somebody I'm mad at) and the B1W is somewhat comparable, but has some major pluses.

The biggest plus, is the body is removable from the mount.

The B1W is also somewhat smaller than the mini.

I was hoping to do some more involved comparisons to other dashcams I usually have in my tractor, but mechanical problems mean I had to move into a different tractor....and don't have the time to do my more elaborate installs needed for multiple cams.

FWIW, here's the same event on a B1W, A119v2, and DDPai Mini.
The B1W and A119 were mounted at the top of the windshield, Mini on top of the dash. (used as 'parking' cam)

b1wa119.jpg
Impatient, tailgating trucker who was blowing his 'city' (Not air horn) horn and flashing his high beams to get the smaller truck out of his way. (Ohio turnpike) It's interesting that the horn doesn't appear on any of the audio.
I can also see the high beams flash on the back of the smaller truck, but only since I know to look for it.

B1W first:

A119v2:

DDPai Mini:

The B1W and Mini seem to have worse audio, with some rumbling going on.

I noticed this truck wobbling in his lane, and going a little slower than normal in Iowa yesterday.
The B1W is top center of windshield, DDpai mini on top of the dash.
See if you can see the driver of the Sharkey truck holding the smartphone in his left hand? I could see him texting or entering a phone number as I passed.

B1W first:

DDPai mini:

Screenshot
B1W

stib1w.JPG

Attachments

• stiddp.JPG
    stiddp.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
There was a little snow in Nebraska last night, and temps of 15F this morning.

Sometimes tractor or trailer brakes will freeze. Notice the trailer wheels not turning?

:)

I posted this in another thread, but since it's 'night' video, will include it here, also.

Merry Christmas!! Thanks for review!

Oh, the fun isn't over.......yet.

:eek:

Here's some night video, on a very dark highway, with a car running off of the road in the distance.
(I-76 Westbound, East of Brush, Colorado.)
There are some slippery spots on the road.

Try to follow the second car that passes me in the left lane, it later runs off the road. You'll have to watch closely when it's alongside of the truck ahead of me.

When I saw a car shoot off to the right, in front of the truck ahead of me, I thought a car was just taking an off ramp too aggressively. Then I passed the car in the open field.......not even close to the off ramp. I had to look at the video to come up with my final guess. :)

o_O
I'm not sure if they were trying to cut over to the off ramp, or spun out in front of the truck ahead of me? (Which moved over a lane to the left for some reason, maybe the car sliding?

Last edited:
More than a few cams have problems handling that but the B1W seems to do it well :) Merry Christmas neighbor :D

Phil

Video from the B1W:

And the A119V2:

(I need to set the correct time....again.)

More 'frozen' truck fun. :) The truck to the right of me parked yesterday afternoon, shut the truck down, and apparently is a local guy, got into a car and went home for the night.
I didn't realize it would hit -15 F overnight, either. :0
His truck wouldn't start in the morning, diesel fuel 'gelled'.
You can wait until spring when the truck engine warms up to over freezing, or have the truck towed to an enlclosed 'warm' shop, let the engine block warm a bit, while you treat the fuel and fuel lines with chemicals...and do some fuel line unplugging. (Not cheap or fast)

He's lucky, he has a short tow to the repair shop a hundred yards away. The one time I had to do this in Montana, many years ago...I think it cost me $400, total. (1980's prices)
I parked at a motel for the night, but intended to get a shower and drive somewhere to eat, then leave the truck running. After a hot shower I fell asleep, and woke up at 3 am, and -30F temps.

Last edited:
Video from the B1W:

And the A119V2:

(I need to set the correct time....again.)

More 'frozen' truck fun. :) The truck to the right of me parked yesterday afternoon, shut the truck down, and apparently is a local guy, got into a car and went home for the night.
I didn't realize it would hit -15 F overnight, either. :0
His truck wouldn't start in the morning, diesel fuel 'gelled'.
You can wait until spring when the truck engine warms up to over freezing, or have the truck towed to an enlclosed 'warm' shop, let the engine block warm a bit, while you treat the fuel and fuel lines with chemicals...and do some fuel line unplugging. (Not cheap or fast)

He's lucky, he has a short tow to the repair shop a hundred yards away. The one time I had to do this in Montana, many years ago...I think it cost me $400, total. (1980's prices)
I parked at a motel for the night, but intended to get a shower and drive somewhere to eat, then leave the truck running. After a hot shower I fell asleep, and woke up at 3 am, and -30F temps.
Interesting profession. I had no idea these would be things to be concerned about. Thanks for the explanation and stay warm!

The B1W looks a touch over-sharpened compared to the A119. Not bad though, and the A19 is great in conditions like that ;)

Truckers used to thin the diesel with some kerosene for easier winter starts, but now the kero is dyed and if they see the color during a DOT inspection you're in deep doo-doo :eek: I'm not sure it works with today's electronic injection either- things were simpler in the old days. It's still common practice with construction equipment which doesn't get inspected for DOT compliance :cool: Some of the veggie-oil powered cars have a fuel pre-heater and a few have to be started on diesel in cold weather because veggie-oil gels at an even higher temp than diesel o_O I've often wondered why the pre-heaters aren't used in trucks too.

Phil

O that UNPAC locomotive will my friends knees soft though it are not the same model my friend have but just the UNPAC and their colors.

My friends are a model of a alco RS3 and i think the one in your video are a Dash 9 model

^^^ I have no idea what make/model that locomotive was, all I know is I don't want to drive it, since the engineer was bundled up like there was no heater.

Here's some night video, well lit urban highway, and a 'skilled' driver....

B1W:

I'm not sure why the audio is so bad on the B1W? I may try seeing if I can dampen the plastic body case a bit?

A119V2: Tiime still wrong :)

O they got good heater, the 16 - 20 cyl engine with about 1 foot diameter pistons make a lot of it.
In the Danish diesels you have to pass right by the running engine going from one cab to the other, but there are also a heater in the cab itself.

The Danish MZ was the strongest trains in EU when we got them in 1967
Motor GM - 16 CYL - 23 CM bore - 25 CM stroke - volume 167.5 Liter ( 2 stroke ) 3300 BHP at 900 RPM.
116 Ton weight - 20 meters long - max speed 143 km/h

They have since been upgraded with a 20 CYL EMD engine with 3900 BHP

Train_Mz_1401.jpg

Try to have a peaceful day, on mostly empty roads with nice scenery....and somebody always ruins it.

(near Monticello, Utah)

Dodge was hauling ass, too bad there was no trooper up ahead

I think they were busy.
(troopers)

I saw the drivers seat of the BMW empty, didn't see where the driver was. (possibly in the back seat of the trooper SUV.

For some reason I thought that was a beer bottle on the hood of the BMW.

;)

bmwut.JPG

The only major shortcoming I can see of the B1W is the recorded audio.
I can't 100% see a pattern in the distortion, but I'm hoping it's just vibration (from the big truck) related. The mount is snug, and I can't feel any noticeable vibration.

Here's an early morning (with dirty windshield) comparison of the B1W and A119v2, primarily for the background audio. With the A119 you can clearly hear the radio in the background, with the B1W...you can pick out a few words...but that distortion?

A119v2:

B1W:

Back