Blueskysea hardwire kit trouble

Bryank930

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
B1W
I have this kit installed in my car for my B1W, I only have the red and ground wires hooked up, and up until today everything has been working fine. When I started my car today, I noticed the green light on the back of the camera was very dim. I tried unplugging the micro USB, and plugging it back into the camera, that didn't help. I disconnected the fuse tap and plugged it back in, that didn't help either. I have the low-volt cutoff on the lowest setting thinking it might have been tripping because of voltage sag while cranking the car. But even with the car running, disconnecting the fuse tap and reconnecting doesn't change anything.

I haven't had a whole lot of time to pull it all apart and really dig into it, but does this sound defective? Do I need to connect both the red and yellow to +12v?

xposted to Hardwire forum

@estore009

Is it recording correctly?

There have been a few cases of B1W LEDs becoming dim with everything else working correctly... I assume due to a faulty batch of LEDs.

Is it recording correctly?

There have been a few cases of B1W LEDs becoming dim with everything else working correctly... I assume due to a faulty batch of LEDs.

It is not recording at all that I can tell. The LED never starts flashing, and I can't see the wifi network on my phone.

Does it work if you plug it into something else, such as powerbank or car accessory socket?

Often a ground connection will give trouble with hardwire kits. Make sure all is well there and with where you tapped power for the red wire. The cam should be OK if it's working correctly on another power source.

Phil

If it works with the supplied USB charger, it should be the problem with the hardwire kit!
Do you have a multimeter? You can have a check its voltage output from the hardwire kit!

If it works with the supplied USB charger, it should be the problem with the hardwire kit!
Do you have a multimeter? You can have a check its voltage output from the hardwire kit!

The output is the micro usb plug, I'm not sure how I'd get a meter probe in there to check.

I'm sending it back to Amazon and getting a plain old 12v to USB port to wire in there and run my own micro usb cable. I drive often enough that I'm not worried about it killing the battery.

That is okay!

I'm sending it back to Amazon and getting a plain old 12v to USB port to wire in there and run my own micro usb cable. I drive often enough that I'm not worried about it killing the battery.
I installed this one and it has worked just fine
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07J3LPVXC
71h6xUDg9gL._SL1200_.jpg

I bought a little tester thing that I can plug microUSB into and it tells me the voltage. I did some testing, and when the camera is doing the dim green light thing, the cable is outputting 5.35V.

I noticed that when the starter is cranking, the camera turns off, then when the engine starts, power is restored and it does the dim green light thing. The camera can be "reset" by unplugging the hardwire cable, and plugging another microUSB to fully power it on. When the light comes on bright green, I can plug the hardwire cable back in and everything is good.

It also seems to only do this when the temperature is 30F or lower and the car has been sitting overnight.

I haven't pulled the blueskysea kit out of my car yet, so I can do more testing, but I did buy a 12v to USB port adapter WITHOUT any low-voltage cutoff (I'll add that later if everything works out) and some 10 foot microUSB cables that I will try next

I am not expert. Just trying to help by giving some things that I notice. Based on what you mentioned, I think it is possible that you car battery is not giving enough voltage. Are you able to check the voltage of your battery output when car is off and on? You can get a usb charger that have this feature. I have since installed this on all my cars because it help to monitor my car battery voltage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01N00I4TM

I am not familiar with cold weathers as I live in a place with over 28c all the time. Just wondering what kind of problem can a low temperature cause to car battery and dashcam (using normal battery or super capacitors) in terms of voltage output.

I don't really know what to think until I get to test the other kit I bought. The battery is less than a month old and tests at 12.7v. There's no real rhyme or reason to when it'll do it. Like yesterday, it was fine in the morning (30 F), but when I went to lunch, 4 hours later, it did it and the temp was around 50F outside.

Not sure if you have tested this but try connecting the dashcam directly to the cigarette port using the provided USB cable. See if the dash still go into dim mode. That should discount out whether the fuse tap is giving the problem or the dash itself is giving the problem.

To update this thread, I removed the blueskysea hardwire kit, replaced with a hardwired USB adapter (this), added a 10-foot microUSB cable, and everything has been working great for a couple weeks now. The new adapter doesn't have low voltage protection built into it, but it's rare that my car sits longer than 2-3 days at a time.

Hi All,

I have one of the with the hard wire kit, it is installed and seemed to work OK for a couple of days, however it would stop LED would go Dim not flash nor run, I have the WiFi all ways on. I've noticed that the hard wire kit will not start the camera with the sounds and recording nor the WiFi. If I use the 12v accessory plug it starts and runs OK. I've noticed this has only occurred after the latest firmware release 20180528s.

I am yet to test the micro USB output, but think this is strange considering that the camera worked OK for the first 3 months until i updated the firmware, battery voltage is stable at 12.8 volts, even through startup and peaks at 13.7 when the alternator is running.(ps 4wd with dual batteries)

Second issue is the low SD Card warning seems strange that it too only started after the firmware update.

If I use the 12v accessory plug it starts and runs OK. I've noticed this has only occurred after the latest firmware release 20180528s.
You should use the 0614 Auto parking mode firmware if you hardwired dashcam already, and PM you the FW already, please check your inbox message!
Second issue is the low SD Card warning seems strange that it too only started after the firmware update.
It happens when the dashcam detects its writing speed too slow. It might ok for your computer usage, but not okay for dashcam usage now! So suggest you change to a new card for this dashcam!

I am having the same issue. The dash cam will dim the LED randomly. I have the low bitrate parking mode beta software. Normally, I have to unplug it and plug it in again for it to begin recording.

I have the low bitrate parking mode beta software. Normally, I have to unplug it and plug it in again for it to begin recording.
The low bitrate parking mode works 7* 24 hours if you hardwired the camera with a 12v always-on socket! And I think you can try the other parking mode firmware 20180614s, which based on G-sensor + 3 minutes timing! Thank you!

Back