blurred video ??

ninja_geezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

have a look at this video ,this was taken after i installed the custom firmware.
all went to plan, but not happy at all with the video,the camera looks out of focus as well ?
any ideas please.

Did you enable the "Load ISP", "WDR" and "WDR manual Settings" check boxes?

have a look at this video ,this was taken after i installed the custom firmware.
all went to plan, but not happy at all with the video,the camera looks out of focus as well ?
any ideas please.
custom/official firmware and focus are two different things and do not depend on each other
Did you enable the "Load ISP", "WDR" and "WDR manual Settings" check boxes?
this does not affect focus

Def looks like you need to do the focus trick which involves manually rotating the lense. The lense is supposed to auto adjust for optimal focus but too many people have found that this is not the case and have to manually focus it with needle nose pliers. Search for video on youtube. I am about to do this for my 550 as it looks bad/out of focus like yours before and after custom firmware.

ok thanks ,i presume this will invalidate the warranty ?

I'm far from knowing much on dash cams. That's how mine looked before the custom firmware on my DR600. Hard to tell with my old eyes but some of video seems ok. Is the bit rate running at 13mbts when looking at properties?

Steve yes checked the video properties and it was about 15 bitrate,, when i compare it to other peoples video clips i think it is very out of focus ,things like signs and number plates on pause are just not readable and at night its very bad...

Sorry to hear. I still have some blurry signs and number plates on pause but have come to accept the limitation of the Blackvue. Only other thing I do for what its worth is I use an 8GB Sd card just for updating. Am not keen on using the one inside due to heat and over writing continuously. Hope you get it sorted.

@ninja_geezer:
I can see the same stripes on your video than I have on my videos.
Is it possible that you have a windscreen heating? May it be possible that the camera tries to focus the windscreen and not the street? Your dash board looks very well focused to me. If thats the case maybe you can just move the camera a little bit.

You've got the camera tilted down quite a bit and the dash looks brilliantly in focus, may just be a case of tilting it up just a little. I wouldn't go twisting the lense just yet

hi yes it is a ford heated screen you are correct,the night video is bad as the lights give a star effect.
i will try raising the camera tomorrow see if i can get it to focus more .
@ninja_geezer:
I can see the same stripes on your video than I have on my videos.
Is it possible that you have a windscreen heating? May it be possible that the camera tries to focus the windscreen and not the street? Your dash board looks very well focused to me. If thats the case maybe you can just move the camera a little bit.

Do these cameras really have autofocus? Looks like a fixed focus camera to me.

And after a couple of days with this camera, the image certainly looks like poor focus for such an expensive camera.

I have a 650-2ch and have recently noticed blurred image on the right side of the footage. Abit like the RGB is out of sync and causes blurry image. After reviewing the very first footage I saved from the dashcam, I notice it's on that footage too.

I suspected it might be the windscreen glass but I recently changed vehicles (same make and model but 5 years newer) and front cam is in a slightly different position and blurry image is still present. I've cleaned the lens so that's not the cause either. I've seen footage from someone else's 650 and theirs has the same blurry image on the right side of the footage.

So we're on the same page, I'm not talking about blurry like streaking motion-effect blurry image, but like it's out of focus on part of the image.

I was thinking of trying to find a "test pattern" image or webpage to see how it compares (ie: take a still shot of the footage and compare to the original); does anyone know of such a website which might have some kind of test images to "calibrate" or compare accuracy of lenses? Perhaps a photography/still camera website?

Here's a link to one of my clips so you can see what I mean.

This is probably a good example because vehicle is stationary and you can easily compare the detail in the trees to the left compared to the lack of clarity in the trees to the right, and even the red traffic lights.

yes you can see the image is very blurry on the right hand side like you say look a the trees.
i use the std firmware now was not happy at all with the custom stuff.:) way too grainy in my opinion..
not even upgraded to the latest firmware still decent images now ,the only issue i have is the sound is unusable unless you are going very slowly.so now leave it muted all the time..

I was going to try inserting the front cam in the windscreen mount upside down to see if that made the other side of the image blurry - confirming if it's the lens or the windscreen, but the camera mount wont allow it to lock into place and I didn't want to drive around with it likely to fall out. I guess I could still try it recording for a few minutes without driving and still parked...

was the image blurred when you first used the camera did you notice ?
worth trying it upside down as well to confirm is it is the lens.
just stand it on the dash and record whilst stationary.

I have a 650-2ch and have recently noticed blurred image on the right side of the footage. Abit like the RGB is out of sync and causes blurry image. After reviewing the very first footage I saved from the dashcam, I notice it's on that footage too.

I suspected it might be the windscreen glass but I recently changed vehicles (same make and model but 5 years newer) and front cam is in a slightly different position and blurry image is still present. I've cleaned the lens so that's not the cause either. I've seen footage from someone else's 650 and theirs has the same blurry image on the right side of the footage.

So we're on the same page, I'm not talking about blurry like streaking motion-effect blurry image, but like it's out of focus on part of the image.

I was thinking of trying to find a "test pattern" image or webpage to see how it compares (ie: take a still shot of the footage and compare to the original); does anyone know of such a website which might have some kind of test images to "calibrate" or compare accuracy of lenses? Perhaps a photography/still camera website?

Here's a link to one of my clips so you can see what I mean.

This is probably a good example because vehicle is stationary and you can easily compare the detail in the trees to the left compared to the lack of clarity in the trees to the right, and even the red traffic lights.

Hi, if you can contact us at sales@blackvue.com.au we can organise to have this camera replaced. There is small defect in the focusing from the factory which can be quickly rectified with a replacement unit. Thank you

Thanks for the response Blackvue Australia! I thought I'd try posting here to see if anyone else had a similar problem. I've sent the email...

Back