Blurred video

Petrol Head

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tried looking frame by frame but this is a good as it gets.
vlcsnap-2018-07-07-11h05m21s848.png

It looks like motion blur to me - center of the image is clear and sharp and only the edges are affected. Check some frames when the vehicle is stopped and see how they look.

Lower light conditions aren't as ideal and just a bit nearer might of captured the Fester's # plate .

Another example as the car in front moves to the right of center
image 1.jpg
image 2.jpg

Again, it's a frame where objects, or your vehicle, are moving so it could be motion blur. In order to determine if it truly is an issue with the camera you have to eliminate motion as the culprit. Park the vehicle facing a scene where there's a lot of visible detail (brick wall, etc.) and see what that looks like. If it looks soft at the edges then motion can be eliminated and it will be more likely a camera issue.

I did as you suggested, I parked up 3 meters away from a brick wall. I turned on the ignition again and let it go into recording mode.
After 30 seconds, I reversed back with a hard lock on and parked up so I could check the video quality on the left & right edges whilst in motion.
On reviewing the video I noted that whilst stationary no part of the image was blurred. When reversing I noted that some of the frames were blurred, but some clear.
I used VLC in full screen mode to view the video so I could check it frame by frame in its worst mode, then, when viewed @ 50% size it was very acceptable.
So your diagnosis of motion blur must be correct, I bow to your superior knowledge DT MI.

Last edited:
...I bow to your superior knowledge DT MI.
Not knowledge - experience. Been there more than once. Glad to help and set your mind at ease.

I think I've finally found out the problem. I fitted a CPL filter and from that moment on, the video was perfect. No more blurring at the edges, checked dozens of files, you can read the reg in all.
I believe that the cam CMOS Sensor was getting a strong reflection from the edges of the dashboard and perhaps having an effect on the focus.

(y) Whatever the underlying reason the problem is solved and you're happy. That's the desired end to this story.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kehray F770 4
T F770 7
7rank F770 9
Gil F770 52
Back