Blurry SG9665GC

Richie83

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello,

I've recently checked my micro SD card just to make sure everything is fine and it appears that the footage from my dashcam is now blurry. I've got some older files 'saved' (from the button) from October 2017 that appear fine, but all recent files appear blurry.

My dashcam is a V1 model, purchased in September 2015 via Strathfield's eBay store. Is there anything that can be done to fix it?

Also, here is a sample from recently. You can check the other videos on my channel to see what it used to look like.

Last edited:
A handful of early 2015 GC V1’s have lost their focus over time. Here is another example. (See link)

I usually offer original USA V1 customers a steep discount to upgrade to a new 2018 model (with updated lens + more). You helped us launch the company and grow to where we are today.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/street-guardian-sg9665gc-is-very-blurry.35186/

"A handful of early 2015 GC V1's"?

There has been report after report in these forums of out-of-focus problems with the SG9665GC V1, V2 as well as V3. I can provide the links if you wish. Personally, as you may recall my first V1 had an out-of focus-issue you characterized as a "one-off" even as others began to report the problem. Then, my V2 went seriously out of focus and needed to be replaced. Now, my current V2 is beginning to experience focus problems on the left side of the image which I'm deciding what to do about.

The Street Guardian SG9556GC is an excellent, very reliable camera that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend but it has had its share of problems and flaws along the way. Most of us understand this to be a normal part of developing a good product. And all of us appreciate the superlative level of customer service you provide, especially if a problem arises, but @Street Guardian USA, why must you so often promote this kind of false narrative? It damages your credibility and brand.

Indeed, having a lens ( whish i think most often are the culprit ) slide now and then seem to be happening for just about all the brands, and it is what it is i guess.
After moving my 8MM lens to the mobius maxi i have a sneaky feeling it have given up on something too, no matter how much i try i cant seem to get the lens to remain in the sweet spot.

I too found that statement above a little optimistic, but dident really feel a need to comment on it, after all with SG you dont have to go thru the elsewhere tedious procedure of opening a ticket and bla - bla, and then wait days at least for a reply, whish often seem to be of no value in regard to the issue at hand.

During the hight of summer here i even felt my DC front lens moved on me, but then focusing in on the problem the day after ( whish was at least just as warm and sunny ) i dident really see the same, so i just blame my eyes for being too picky some days.
I took out the DC memory card every day for a good 2 weeks, and some days i felt the focus was off a tiny bit, others it seemed just fine.
Sadly during summer i have parked with my car facing the other way, so i have not had the large surface of the buildings and the parked cars to judge on, just the row of garages and trees and buildings way in the background.
Also it never bees so bad i have been thinking " thank god i have 3 other cameras on my windscreen"

Also the shift i think i saw some days also appeared to be towards the near field, which at least / IMO are better than if focus whent the other way where you cant see anything either due to the distance and the wide FOV lenses in use.
Near is where you have a chance of a plate capture at least.

The difference is SG has always been extremely responsive when issues do arise. You may have heard a lot about issues, but that’s because you don’t hear about the many, many more with no issues at all. No matter how good the QA and how high the standards, there’s no way to avoid ALL problems always. There are other companies out there producing cameras that are “good enough” but every single one I get for my vehicles is an SG offering because I trust them to take care of any issues that may arise, even though some of mine have had no issue at all.

The difference is SG has always been extremely responsive when issues do arise. You may have heard a lot about issues, but that’s because you don’t hear about the many, many more with no issues at all. No matter how good the QA and how high the standards, there’s no way to avoid ALL problems always. There are other companies out there producing cameras that are “good enough” but every single one I get for my vehicles is an SG offering because I trust them to take care of any issues that may arise, even though some of mine have had no issue at all.

I don't disagree with you and said as much in my post but this has nothing to do with the issue I raised. Here we have an ongoing issue that has been with the camera for three generations right up to the current model yet the primary North American vendor repeatedly puts forth a false narrative claiming that the out-of-focus problems are extremely rare and was resolved three years ago. The problem is not rare despite the denials. I'm now on my third GC with focus issues. I've witnessed this sort marketing propaganda all too often with each and every issue that arises with this brand. We often hear blatantly false statements such as, (quote) - "no heat warping, no heat focus shift, no problems." It's not that SG doesn't take care of any issues that may arise, it's that there is effort I've observed for quite some time (and can document in detail) to stamp out potential brush fires and act like the problems that arise don't really exist.

The fact that SG has changed the lens and housing in the GC (multiple times AFAIK) is a sign that the company is making a serious effort to address the issue which is highly commendable and welcome but is also de facto admission of the problem. Yet the narrative is always that there really is no problem. Here's a new camera for you friend, sorry for the trouble...... nothing to see here folks, move along.

Focus issues, hot pixels, previous serious AE table problems that took far to long to resolve (also never actually acknowledged) along with a few other issues and teething problems aside since the V1 I would buy another Street Guardian product in a heart beat. It is the only camera I've come across that is completely reliable in functionality under ALL conditions other than the Mobius. It never fails to capture video, one way or another. Most of the time the video IQ is excellent. The products appear to be getting better and better. When someone asks me to recommend a camera I tell them to buy a Street Guardian if their budget allows.

What I don't care for is marketing BS and propaganda.

Last edited:
Back