Blurry video on A118-C bought from Spytec

Michael73072

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just noticed this problem from my A118-C that I bought on April 30 from Spytec. The video is very blurry and it's hard to read licence plates even if I'm right on their bumper.

Here's a image sample: http://puu.sh/hSiMs/5f55af2e58.jpg

Firmware version: A118c.20150403

Is there anything I can do?

Is it blurry from very first minute or after some time ?

Is it blurry from very first minute or after some time ?

From the very first time, however the camera was already pretty hot since it was in the sun. Do you think it could be caused by the camera heating up?

EDIT: After reviewing some more video, it appears it happens once the camera is warmed up.

Last edited:
The plastic lens housing of the B40/A118 is is susceptible to heat warp. This why the SG9665GC has a metal lens housing. (No warping)

Is there anything I can do to mitigate this? Do you think exchanging it on Amazon would help, or do they all have this problem?

From the very first time, however the camera was already pretty hot since it was in the sun. Do you think it could be caused by the camera heating up?

EDIT: After reviewing some more video, it appears it happens once the camera is warmed up.

Yeah, - that what I was afraid of. Most commonly it is due to generic model uses plastic lens shell and holder that is sensitive to the hot / cold, hens the result in image blur when camera ( CMOS ) get hot. Some high-end models using heat resistant plastic lens shell and holder, but unfortunately in cheaper dashcams, especially with popular models like B40 / A118 which are made by few factories, - they do compete with the "best price" and in many cases saving $ on using a cheaper hardware components. For example premium model of SG9665GC uses metal lens shell and holder ( and many other higher quality hardware components ) but of course price is much higher.

There has been some similar reports of blur video when B40 get hot, but it is not that massive. Maybe some new batch had cheaper lens shell used. Try to talk to seller, explain situation, show examples of videos from cold-recording and what happens after when unit get hot and I am sure they will help you out.

Possibly there is a lens plastic cover on the lens that most people forget to remove.

Yes some people forget to remove the plastic film off the lens. If I understand the reply above his video is clear when cool and blurry once hot. If the plastic film was left on it would be blurry all the time.

Yeah, - that what I was afraid of. Most commonly it is due to generic model uses plastic lens shell and holder that is sensitive to the hot / cold, hens the result in image blur when camera ( CMOS ) get hot. Some high-end models using heat resistant plastic lens shell and holder, but unfortunately in cheaper dashcams, especially with popular models like B40 / A118 which are made by few factories, - they do compete with the "best price" and in many cases saving $ on using a cheaper hardware components. For example premium model of SG9665GC uses metal lens shell and holder ( and many other higher quality hardware components ) but of course price is much higher.

There has been some similar reports of blur video when B40 get hot, but it is not that massive. Maybe some new batch had cheaper lens shell used. Try to talk to seller, explain situation, show examples of videos from cold-recording and what happens after when unit get hot and I am sure they will help you out.

Okay, thanks for the information. I contacted Spytec, and they said to go through Amazon to get a replacement. Should I even bother doing that since they will all have that issue? I live in Oklahoma by the way. I also noticed that once the air conditioner has been running a while, the blur is still there, but it's not that bad.

Once the plastic lens housing is heat warped there is a potential for it to never be perfectly in focus again.

I don't think that's happened with mine yet. I had it in my house this afternoon and the video from it was very clear and sharp. It's just unfortunate that a camera marketed for hot climates (since it has a capacitor) still has issues with heat.

I don't think that's happened with mine yet. I had it in my house this afternoon and the video from it was very clear and sharp. It's just unfortunate that a camera marketed for hot climates (since it has a capacitor) still has issues with heat.

just adding a capacitor doesn't make it suitable for hot climates unfortunately

Should I even bother doing that since they will all have that issue? I live in Oklahoma by the way.

Some DIY-guys would buy higher quality lens with metal shell and holder and replace theme-self, but first of all any DIY will void warranty, 2. It will cost around 15-20 usd extra, 3. take a lot of time, patience and knowledge on how to replace the right way.
Yeah, living in an areas with hot climate leaves no choices, but to stretch a budget and get dashcam which is suitable for extreme conditions.

Back