bmw advanced car eye dash cam switching for parking mode and driving mode

wuwentao

Reaction score
Country
China
Hi

I'm using BMW advanced car eye dash cam for my car from year 2016.
Why I bought it: I know it's not a good solution and really have a high price and low quality, but I MUST bought it when I bought the car, all the BMW dealer in my china location selling the car with an additional/optional part package, so I just selected this one

I want to know how it works for parking mode and driving mode, after i understand it, maybe I can select another dual channel dash cam to replace with it and continue using the power cable from the car.

current testing:
I just pull out the bmw advanced car eye from the car to my desktop for testing.
it have 3 wires for DC 12V in, from some forum info, it maybe :
1. GND
2. Battery
3. ACC+

I'm not sure the wire order and info in the car eye device, so I take out all the screws from the advanced car eye and directly connect it to an external DC 12V Power.

test 1:
1. connet to GND wire 1 to DC 12V [-]
2. connect to wire 2 to DC 12V [+]

result: car eye can power on and startup , then switch to parking mode, video recoding can works well in parking mode, so the wire 2 should be Battery, as I only connected two wires from external power

test 3:
1. connet to GND wire 1 to DC 12V [-], no change for this wire in test 1
2. connect wire 3 to DC 12V [+]

result: care eye can't be power on and can't startup anymore, seems the ACC+ and GND can't startup the car eye dash cam ? is there any additional setting to power on it in normal driving mode on desk ? the external DC 12V voltage is not enough?

I'm a newbie to it.
in fact, I also did some testing in my car with multimeter, seems the wire 3 and GND have 12V power, but it still can't power on it. I will try to check and confirm it tomorrow, as car is parking outdoor, it's raining all day

Thanks

1. GND
2. Battery
3. ACC+

1. GND - Ground
2. Battery - Permanent power
3. ACC+ - Switched power (that goes off when you turn the car off) - for signal purpose

1. GND - Ground
2. Battery - Permanent power
3. ACC+ - Switched power (that goes off when you turn the car off) - for signal purpose

is this mean acc+ and battery works with 12v + ? and both wire 2 Battery and wire 3 ACC+ can be connected to the same one DC 12v [+]?
as external DC power only have two + and - ports.

test 1 will have gnd and battery on, acc+ off,
test 2 only have acc+ and gnd, missed battery caused it can't be power on

Thank you very much for your reply and help.

Yes ACC are also +12 V if you connect both battery and ACC to the + side of a car battery and GND to - side the camera should start up, if you then take off the ACC wire the camera should turn into parking mode, and if you put ACC wire back on 12 V + the camera should change to normal record mode.

The Battery wire sort of power the camera always no matter what mode it is in, but it will not work alone, the ACC are like a key / switch that tell the camera to start recording normal, or if ACC are lost turn into parking mode.
BUT ! the camera must have been in normal mode before parking mode, so thats why just connecting the battery and GND wire do not work.

really thanks @Harsh and @kamkar1

I have connected both acc and battery to 12v + and gnd to 12v -, it works in normal driving mode.
remove acc, keep battery and gnd connected, it will switch to parking mode.

acc is a switch for on and off.
I will try to search and got a new dash cam with 3 wires power supply and 12v , then I can directly use the exist power cable for it(maybe need to change a new power plug).

as I found most of the dash cam only have 2 wries power supply, even is support 12V power, not 5V, so it can't support parking/driving mode switch from the dash cam iteself, and it need an additional 3 wires to 2 wires power switch.

Last edited:
Back