BMW Announces OEM Dash Cam

DT MI

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than my wife thinks I need.
$459USD plus installation, but it includes a free SD card. Actually I don't know if it's just announced, I just became aware of it.

"Movements are detected and analyzed by radar" (I assume the car parking radar sensors).
This is a nice feature.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Yes the best use i can think off for car onboard sensors, i cant even imagine myself parking using a camera or sensors, but maby thats cuz i have never tried it.

The Vantrue T2 dashcam uses radar sensing for parking mode, and Nextbase has said they're going to be doing that in the future. So my guess is that it's all in the cam rather than using car sensors.

Phil

The Vantrue T2 dashcam uses radar sensing for parking mode, and Nextbase has said they're going to be doing that in the future. So my guess is that it's all in the cam rather than using car sensors.

Phil
Yes, although that sensor isn't a true radar since it doesn't do the "r" bit, which is why they call it a "microwave sensor", it doesn't differentiate between approaching vehicles that need recording and departing vehicles that don't. I think it is basically a Doppler movement detector, although it does detect people walking passed at right angles which the supermarket door openers don't. It would be useless for parking.

The parking radars would probably use far too much power, the one on the T2 can run for many weeks on the normal car battery.

I'm all for car manufactures now installing oem dash cams, but from BMW and at $459 + installation I would've expected something a little more descrete. Maybe it's just me.....

Seems as though this was introduced in summer 2018. Agree the rear camera in particular could be more discreet.

One user on a BMW UK forum hinted that by default it only records when the g-sensor is activated, which I figure could allow it to be used in Germany. Others though mentioned recording full-time, so that one owner's report may be inaccurate.

Poor choice, would have expected better for something they are going to put their name on
People don't buy BMWs for the quality or performance, they buy them for the badge, and it has the badge, thus it is desirable, it even has the flashing LED to tell everybody outside that you have it:

A0261684_6606.jpg

People don't buy BMWs for the quality or performance, they buy them for the badge, and it has the badge, thus it is desirable, it even has the flashing LED to tell everybody outside that you have it:
Careful Nigel...your ignorance is showing as you ride by on the anti-BMW bandwagon. I don't give a crap about the badge. I look for technical features and quality. BMW was the only hardtop convertible to have a feature that lifts the folded hard top out of the way so I could use the rest of my trunk space with the top down. Since I bought my 2016 BMW the only major change to what was available factory, is more horsepower (which it doesn't need) and a more conversational voice activation feature set. I'm on year four of my 4 year warranty, and I've had no issues beyond regular maintenance, which was also included. My next car will probably be an electric, and no I'm not loyal to BMW for that. I simply am enjoying my current car and see no reason to change.

The fact that this is eye 2.0 means the basic system is at least a generation old. Reading their specs, it seems to compete with a large common feature set. They are probably rebranding or at least customizing an already existing unit from the orient anyway. Since they are a car company their is no point to them reinventing the dashcam. The benefit to the BMW dashcam is that if there is a problem and BMW installed it, then you take it to BMW and they can't say "not my problem". BMW is famous for claiming that aftermarket equipment is the cause of your problem. That confidence has $ value too and is why many BMW owners will go for it, given a comparable dash cam @ less money.

I've been holding off on buying a dash cam in anticipation of Street Guardian's waterproof camera. I want a rear camera mounted outside the car so that it works top up or top down. The BMW system simply doesn't fit my needs and so is not an option whether it says "BMW" or not.

Dan

Last edited:
Not all people driving a BMW or for that matter other stigmatized brands are idiots, but the mere fact that this is debated suggest there are at least some data hard to bypass.
Though nowadays it also seem like just hating on something or someone is a sport or culture of its own, which in itself are also silly.

There can be no doubt about the brands motoring history which in general have a excellent reputation, even if they too made a lot of stuff for the Nazis.

Some people say if you drive a little car, well thats becuz you have given up or have zero to little interests in cars.
But i can assure you i am very much a gear-head and into cars, but really the only thing that make sense for me to drive is a little car like my Suzuki.
But trust me with a lotto win one of the first orders of the day would be shopping for a new larger car, but untill then all i can do is to be smart with my little pension.

There can be no doubt about the brands motoring history which in general have a excellent reputation, even if they too made a lot of stuff for the Nazis.
The owners were Nazis.
The study shows that Günther Quandt joined the Nazi party in 1933, the same year that Hitler became Reich Chancellor. Four years later, he was put in charge of the Nazis' so-called "armaments economy" supplying ammunition and military hardware from factories that used thousands of slave labourers from concentration camps. An execution area for disobedient slave workers was set up at at least one of the Quandt plants.

During World War II, the BMW workforce was made up of slave laborers provided by the Nazis. Some sources put the figures as high as 50,000 forced civilian laborers, prisoners of war and concentration camp workers. In 1943, with direct support from the SS, the Quandts were able to establish a company-owned concentration camp directly alongside their battery works in Hanover. KZ (Concentration Camp) Hanover, a satellite of KZ Neuengamme, exploited the labour of both Jews and resistance fighters, as well as forced labour from France and Czechoslovakia. Prisoners from the KZ Neuengamme were selected for hard labour at the Quandt battery works. BMW was then owned by Günther Quandt, and he and his son Herbert were intimately connected with Hitler and his regime. BMW’s factories exclusively produced aircraft and motorcycle parts for the Nazi war effort. In fact, many inmates were put to work on the Luftwaffe engines, namely the BMW 132. The Quandts also benefited greatly from the eradication of Jews and their livelihoods—they were handed multiple businesses seized from enslaved Jews. In 1937, Günther Quandt was appointed the “War Economy Führer.”

Last edited:
Hehe yeah. back then you was either "with me or against me" a term which many to this day still use strongly which are a bit scary knowing what it can lead to.

Back