BMW E90 Dashcam Hardwire Install

Yangorang

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just wanted to post an overview with some pictures of my install.
Imgur Album

I know most people prefer the dual channel setup, but personally I like the view that the Vantrue gets when mounted in the middle where I have it. I can capture all four corners of the vehicle for good parking mode coverage. I can also point the front facing camera down slightly if I want to capture any interior events like a pullover or if I'm having mechanical issues I can record the symptoms. My rear glass is completely unobstructed as well and I can just barely see the Vantrue from the rearview mirror.
Aesthetically I also like having zero exposed wire since the Vantrue can get power from the top contacts. All the 2ch cams I've seen have some sort of external cable sticking out the side.
Definitely a bit of a bear to install this way so not for everyone but I'm a hobbyist anyway and it does what I want.

I like interior mounted but the downside is in sunny weather the exterior gets overexposed, unless you can set the cameras to use the center of the sensor for setting exposure

Yeah I do have the Vantrue set at -1 exposure to avoid this. So far I haven't seen any issues even on the sunniest of days, the Vantrue seems to do a pretty good job of adjusting and it probably helps that I have a relatively light gray interior.

Back