BMW's 360 Surround View

Yes, a diagnostic program would be very welcome. If only as a pre test to see if a memory card is likely to be reliable. Real use is the ultimate test, but diagnostics can help speed up fault finding, especially for intermittent faults.

But then again, even PCs etc don't have decent diagnostics these days, so hoping for this on a dash cam is a bit optimistic. Maybe one of the more reputable manufacturers might take it up though?

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

Same as with the car data the computers store now, there are no assurances that it will work correctly, only that it should. As both are not functions directly related to operating safely it would be very hard to show that a cam failure in itself caused enough harm to merit litigation. If you had enough evidence to prove that, then you had enough evidence to not need the cam's evidence in the first place ;) Plus I'm sure they'd use something better than SD cards for critical data storage just as they now do with the car data inside the computer. But given that we're talking about BMW owners, I'm certain that somebody would feel bu++hurt enough to whine about a cam failure anyway :rolleyes:

POST diagnostics would be nice in dashcams,but given the size and cost of the cams, there's only so much we can really expect to get. I'm pretty sure an 'ultimate' dashcam could be built but it would have to cost so much that you'd be hard pressed to sell more than a dozen a year world-wide. So I guess we will never see one :( Still, we're not doing bad with what we've got now in the better cams so I'm not complaining :cool:

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Xybone Dash Cam Discussion 1
Back