Boscam R2 Dash/Backup camera unbox and review

Jay Brown

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Boscam
Is there any dash camera that has rearview, which also can be used as a backup camera?

Not really.

There are the mirror cameras, which are probably the most suited ones as most of those have a larger screen in a place you can see it..
And some of them actually have reversing camera functionality.
But the main issue with using dashcam as a reversing camera are placement.
A dashcam ( front or rear ) are best put up high on the glass, and facing almost level towards the horizon, so this is fine if you have a van or a SUV style car with a fairly flat rear end, but if you drive a regular car ( sedan ) it will have a boot, and it could hide a child playing behind the car.

Also dashcam rear cameras don't have the guide and distance markers reversing cameras have, and often you cant mirror the image so the image on the screen go right when you reverse your car right.
And also most dashcams have tiny screens, and placed ideal ( in front of mirror as high as it can get, then most often you cant even see the LCD screen, also dashcams dont have the LCD screen come on when you put car in reverse, and they also don't switch to that camera automatic.

I have a lot of cameras in front of my mirror, and really from my seat and with my 6 foot 2" height i can see them ( above mirror ) but the screens are sso small, and also hard to read in sunshine ( they dont put high quality LCD or AMOLED screens in dahscams )

img_20180414_143906-jpg.37474

img_20180414_143857-jpg.37475

But how it is of course depend on a lot of factors, i am fortunate my windscreen are all clear of stupid sensors ASO, and my mirror are mounted off the roof and not the windscreen.
And i have a dotted area onto which most of the camera sit so its only the bottom 1/3 of it you notice from the outside.

You are much better off buying a true reversing camera, one of those with a 5 - 7 " LCD screen you can get for 50 bucks i reckon, and its camera you can put down low where no child can sneak under the radar so to say.

I drive a tiny Jap 5 door hatchback, that have its hatch that are pretty flat and vertical aside for a couple of degrees, still the first couple of feet behind my car i can not see in the footage.

My car after it got molested by a 4x4 driven by a phone junkie. ( 1 car between me and the 4x4 )

eba2a39a8b284ad0b858aedc4ce4bb22f9b12fed.jpg

Last edited:
Check this out, it gets extra camera on the back which can perfectly satisfy what u need. u can install the camera on ur rear window or license plate as needed for a better view.

Thanks @kamkar1 . Really appreciate it.

@Brett Coventry @kamkar1 Thanks for you guy's information. I got myself a Boscam R2 after all, because I always want a mirror dash camera. I just finished install the unit. I will try to do some review about this unit. So far so good.

Last edited:
1583315717392.png
Hi guys, some of you are probably wondering what is the meaning of "Dash/Backup camera". The reason why that I use this term is Boscam R2 actually can be used as dash camera and also the backup camera. I post a thread on our

"What should I buy?" section, which was asking for dash camera that can be also used as backup camera.

1583313933813.png

Thanks to @Brett Coventry @kamkar1, I found out Boscam R2 is the product that I always want. I used to worry about the quality of R2, because Kamkar1 told me that Mirror Dashcam were usually suffered from this kind of problem.

Anyway, I got one because Uber dashcam is not really my type, so I took my chance.

Fortunately, the quality of R2 turn out surprising good. The video quality is good, and the version is also pretty clear. More importantly, the backup camera. The backup camera is working great too. The point is that I pay less

than $140 (which is way cheaper than Vantrue N2 pro) to get two product's features. One for two. That is enough words to describe already, here is the video I made which including unboxing, and road testing. Again, thanks to

@kamkar1 for being so nice to me all the time, thank you for helping me to really learn the knowledge of dashcam. Thanks @Brett Coventry for letting me know the Boscam R2. This is my first review video, I will keep improving.

Thank you for reading, and also really glad to part of it. Have a good one.

Myself i am probably going to use something along these lines / a reversing camera.
My back are not overly happy about me turning my torso to see out back, seem like my body are slowly hardening and all my flexibility are gone.

15 years ago i could still put my palms flat on the ground in front of my feet whine standing up and legs stretched, today i can barely touch my knees that way.

Hi dear, my name is Lingxu. I am from the Boscam Amazon marketing department. First of all, we love your video. I found your post while I was googling my product. I registered an account as soon as I could. We are wondering if you are interesting of selling this video to us. Also, can you make more of these video for us? Of course we will pay you for doing that with a reasonable price. Here is my work email address: dashcam-us@boscam.club Email me if you are interested in my offer.

It is off the roof, otherwise i would not be able to have as many SG products on my windscreen :cool:
But i am more inclined to go with a regular reversing camera, but just need a better / new 2 DIN headunit for that.

Hi dear, my name is Lingxu. I am from the Boscam Amazon marketing department. First of all, we love your video. I found your post while I was googling my product. I registered an account as soon as I could. We are wondering if you are interesting of selling this video to us. Also, can you make more of these video for us? Of course we will pay you for doing that with a reasonable price. Here is my work email address: dashcam-us@boscam.club Email me if you are interested in my offer.
I am extremely flattered. Yes, I can sell you the video. But I afraid that I cannot making more of these, because my job as accountant is extremely exhausted. Therefore, I can do this for fun. Anyway, thanks for the offer.

Kamkar1 ! My teacher:LOL:! Thank you so much my friend!

I am extremely flattered. Yes, I can sell you the video. But I afraid that I cannot making more of these, because my job as accountant is extremely exhausted. Therefore, I can do this for fun. Anyway, thanks for the offer.
I'm sorry to hear that. Thank you for replying anyway. Please email me therefore we can talk more details about the payment.

I'm sorry to hear that. Thank you for replying anyway. Please email me therefore we can talk more details about the payment.
Will do, thanks.

yeah saw you have a few screens too, but i think mirrors like that are illegal here, hence why i wanted to use the head unit.
TBH i also thing the current one will still accept a reversing camera and switch to it automatic, i assume so cuz i can not change anything / much on it as for the love of Christ i can not get the remote to work in some of its menus.
I can get into the menus, scroll up and down in settings, but get into any of the sub menus and make changes i cant do, i have spent several hours trying buttons on the remote and it just will not work ( as you recall the touch screen stopped working years ago )
And the few buttons on the actual unit are also of no use in this.

My mirror screw up into the bracket in the sealing with just 2 screws, 6 - 8 mm or so.

img_20180414_143857-jpg.37475

yeah saw you have a few screens too, but i think mirrors like that are illegal here, hence why i wanted to use the head unit.
TBH i also thing the current one will still accept a reversing camera and switch to it automatic, i assume so cuz i can not change anything / much on it as for the love of Christ i can not get the remote to work in some of its menus.
I can get into the menus, scroll up and down in settings, but get into any of the sub menus and make changes i cant do, i have spent several hours trying buttons on the remote and it just will not work ( as you recall the touch screen stopped working years ago )
And the few buttons on the actual unit are also of no use in this.
if it has reverse camera input on the headunit then it should be auto switching so one of our cameras should work with that no issue, I'll send you one to try with the next stuff I send you

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A China 11
BgDeal Dashcam China 22
estore009 China 1
BgDeal Dashcam China 0
BgDeal Dashcam China 17
Back