Bought a new mount today for timelapses - a GPod Mini Magnetic

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
I wanted a mount to do some timelapses while away so nipped into the local PC World to see what they had that would suit and picked up one of these:

buybox.jpg

http://joby.com/gorillapod/gpod-mini-magnetic/

It was only £15 and looks perfect for the Mobius - it has magnetic feet too so I'll be able to get seriously creative with this. Assuming my little girl doesn't go and hide it somewhere :)

I haven't seen these mentioned before - you can pick them up for just over £10 from Amazon and they're less than $19.99 in the US.

I did also pick up one of these Monkee grips but it didn't turn up in time:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00AFSLE3E
Fingers crossed I'll get some good footage now!

It looks like a toy to both the mrs and the daughter - not sure which one will be pinching it first!

Had a play around this morning with it - the magnets are plenty strong for such a small mount and plenty for the Mobius - it's been held on all night onto the boiler!

IMG_0983.JPG

reverend: Thanks a lot for your heads up. Got it yesterday, what a little beast and its magnetic feets are priceless. Thanks again.

I took a gamble but found out from experience it happily stays stuck onto the roof of a car at 80kph :)

I wouldn't recommend it but it got me some footage I wasn't planning on this week!

Off roading isn't a problem either.

Next - streamlined casing for the Mobius so you can do 100kph in safety?

How do you prevent a midge from going splat and wiping out the view from that tiny lens?

I've got the video version of that mount, very similar but with longer legs and a pan-tilt head with Teflon bearings - I've had it years and it seems to work and last really well.

I took a gamble but found out from experience it happily stays stuck onto the roof of a car at 80kph :)

I wouldn't recommend it but it got me some footage I wasn't planning on this week!
Ha that sounds really cool. If only my roof wasn't glass

I did that the old fashioned way of jumping out the car and checking the lens every 15 mins to make sure no dead things were on there - nothing fancy like the rotating screen in F1 here!

I'd not planned on doing any driving and only took the Mobius for timelapses and family videos in the pool / sea etc so quite happy with some of the random footage I did get :)

The first one is part of a timelapse of sun rising on the island but was recorded as normal so I could process later.

Frame 2012.01.06 23-52-06 (1-07-35.497).jpg Frame 2012.01.07 00-13-04 (1-28-33.684).jpg Frame 2012.01.07 00-14-34 (1-30-03.783).jpg Frame 2012.01.07 00-35-08 (1-50-37.771).jpg Frame 2012.01.07 00-46-52 (2-02-21.731).jpg

Very nice, Rev, welcome back. That looks like a neat little tripod. I look forward to seeing those time lapses

It's a stunning little island so lots to work with there - I found this promo video that is incredible - I'd love one of those mounts that slowly moves the camera during a timelapse as add a whole new element. I might have to have a play with a Raspberry Pi to see if I could do it with that and a Mobius :)

It won't win any prizes for stealth but this is how I ran the Mobius for all footage with this mount:

DSC_0205.JPG DSC_0664.JPG

If you fold all three legs together it makes a nice little handle for handheld stuff :)

Those Jimny's are great fun!

Last edited:
your picture is very nice, also this gadget is in cute appearance but good using :D

Does the screw mount that comes with the mini magnetic tripod fit/screw in to the cover plate that we get with the Mobius?

Yep, standard Tripod mount 1/4"-20

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Mobius 19
Tony lovelock Mobius 53
N Mobius 10
Lola Mobius 25
M Mobius 5
Back