Bought a SGGCX2 V4(2018) from Amazon but firmware says SG20171103.V3

codeacode

Reaction score
Country
United States

How can I check I actually got a V4? Does this mean I have to update the firmware?

Attachments

• SG.PNG
    SG.PNG
    342 KB · Views: 16
We lovingly call the new SGGCX2 for the V4 as it are a successor to the old GC V 1-2-3 cameras, but its easy to see the houses are different on the new CX2 / "V4" cameras

SG9665GC V3
71o6Bezt-gL._SL1417_.jpg

SGGCX2
SGGCX2_Reflect_White.jpg

I belive the SG cameras will always be shipped with the latest official firmware, but the guys are always working on new stuff so no doubt there are newer beta firmware around.

We lovingly call the new SGGCX2 for the V4 as it are a successor to the old GC V 1-2-3 cameras, but its easy to see the houses are different on the new CX2 / "V4" cameras

SG9665GC V3

SGGCX2

I belive the SG cameras will always be shipped with the latest official firmware, but the guys are always working on new stuff so no doubt there are newer beta firmware around.

Thanks for the swift reply. I can confirm I have the SGGCX2 design, however why do I have a firmware version that says V3 and 2017 when on Amazon it says 2018. If I am supposed to update the camera how do I do that? Thanks.

SG20171103 firmware applies to both the SG9665GC and SGGCX2.

Though it's the same firmware, ideally should have a separate download link and firmware name/number.

Last edited:
I am not quite sure if the actually share firmware's too, they both run on the same SOC ( novatek 9665 )
But the GC use the IMX 322 sensor, the CX2 use the better IMX 323 sensor, as i recall the lens are the same ( no need to fix it if it isent broke )

Don't know about better but yes, being a different sensor the firmware in all probability is exclusive for each model.

Got confused, for a second I thought it was just the lens, but IIRC that was a V2 to V3 change.

These are the latest firmwares on the SG home page.
SG9665GM – Firmware update latest

SG9665GCV1 – Firmware update 20170904

SG9665GCV2 – Firmware update 20171103

SG9665GCV3 – Firmware update 20171103

SG9663DC – Firmware update V1.14

No mentioning of the CX2 there, probably due to its so new it have not gotten its own dedicated firmware, or firmware name at least.
But i am sure it will pop up there soon, as i recall there are already development gong on with beta firmware's, and i am sure you can get in on that too.
The SG beta firmware's are normally tested in a little closed group first before it get "released" to the general public to help beat on them ( the more eyes the faster problems should be found )
The Beta firmware's are normally considered safe for general use as to camera stability and functionality, so should not be a danger to use a beta firmware.

There are some changes ( good ones ) going on within SG at the moment, new models - new brand ( Guardtrak ) ASO, rest assured the guys will do their best to proceed on the work of their own backs and not the customers.

Updating firmware are no problem, you can try to Dl the Firmware to one of the older GC models, in there there should be a TXT document outlining how its done.
But basally you put the new firmware named something.bin on the memory card or another memory card, then put that in the camera and turn it on, the camera then detect the new firmware on memory card and will update itself, after that it will reboot and start recording, but its then needed to format the memory card and reset settings to default and then do them again, to make sure you start off with a clean slate so to say.

BUT ! i am sure you have the stuff you have paid for alright, its just a matter of the camera share firmware with the GC V3 cameras, soon there will be firmware's for the CX2 as shared firmwares will just mess things up, so even if thay are the same better to name it so there are no doubt what model it is for.

Last edited:
These are the latest firmwares on the SG home page.
SG9665GM – Firmware update latest

SG9665GCV1 – Firmware update 20170904

SG9665GCV2 – Firmware update 20171103

SG9665GCV3 – Firmware update 20171103

SG9663DC – Firmware update V1.14

No mentioning of the CX2 there, probably due to its so new it have not gotten its own dedicated firmware, or firmware name at least.
But i am sure it will pop up there soon, as i recall there are already development gong on with beta firmware's, and i am sure you can get in on that too.
The SG beta firmware's are normally tested in a little closed group first before it get "released" to the general public to help beat on them ( the more eyes the faster problems should be found )
The Beta firmware's are normally considered safe for general use as to camera stability and functionality, so should not be a danger to use a beta firmware.

There are some changes ( good ones ) going on within SG at the moment, new models - new brand ( Guardtrak ) ASO, rest assured the guys will do their best to proceed on the work of their own backs and not the customers.

Updating firmware are no problem, you can try to Dl the Firmware to one of the older GC models, in there there should be a TXT document outlining how its done.
But basally you put the new firmware named something.bin on the memory card or another memory card, then put that in the camera and turn it on, the camera then detect the new firmware on memory card and will update itself, after that it will reboot and start recording, but its then needed to format the memory card and reset settings to default and then do them again, to make sure you start off with a clean slate so to say.

BUT ! i am sure you have the stuff you have paid for alright, its just a matter of the camera share firmware with the GC V3 cameras, soon there will be firmware's for the CX2 as shared firmwares will just mess things up, so even if thay are the same better to name it so there are no doubt what model it is for.
Thanks man, not sure if you work for Street Guardian, but just wanted to say I love you guys. I've bought at least 6 of these cameras for family and friends. Gonna use my old V2 as a rear camera.

I am not on the payroll, but the company some times send me cameras and other goodies to play with, so fair to say i am affiliated at least.

But if it is needed i will cry wolf, but it seem like with SG that's not needed.
A few other brands also send me stuff to beat on, so that's pretty nice to have something to deal with as i am early retired for health reasons so money are tight though i live in the world famous wonder country that is Denmark.
Its not like i do reviews as such but i try to let people know what i think, and provide footage / information so people have a chance to make a informed decision as to what to try.
Dont really have the technical skills to help anyone that way, all my educations have all been hands on things, so while i am somewhat of a geek it is just on a user level for most things.

And after wasting much of my youth being a taker, i now try to restore my kama account by being a giver instead, but its a hard job as its now a 1:1 exchange ratio.

I am not on the payroll, but the company some times send me cameras and other goodies to play with, so fair to say i am affiliated at least.

But if it is needed i will cry wolf, but it seem like with SG that's not needed.
A few other brands also send me stuff to beat on, so that's pretty nice to have something to deal with as i am early retired for health reasons so money are tight though i live in the world famous wonder country that is Denmark.
Its not like i do reviews as such but i try to let people know what i think, and provide footage / information so people have a chance to make a informed decision as to what to try.
Dont really have the technical skills to help anyone that way, all my educations have all been hands on things, so while i am somewhat of a geek it is just on a user level for most things.

And after wasting much of my youth being a taker, i now try to restore my kama account by being a giver instead, but its a hard job as its now a 1:1 exchange ratio.
I appreciate your help. Denmark must be beautiful. I live in California, United States. I believe reviewing cameras and trying them out is a great job, I am sure you really enjoy it :) . Beats my depressing 9-5 job! Everytime I talk to people about cars I will mention dashcams and how they have made me money! (sometimes my videos will go 'viral' and marketing companies pay me for it)

I do put stuff on youtube too, but i have all things turned off there, not sure if that put a damper on things of mine going viral.

I had a recording of a woman fall to the ground from a 2 floor not long ago, but needless to say i cant really post video of a poor old woman falling to her death ( i think incident got no mentioning in media )
But idiot drivers we offcourse have in spades here too, and i have caught a few really bad ones and one so bad i just had to turn him in to the police.

You can always try and hit @Street Guardian USA up to see if you can get in on some beta testing.

SGGCX2 has new private tooling/housing. Lens now swings a full 90 degrees for true vertical windows. PCB is at a new angle so the cables plugged into the top ports no longer hit the window when you plug in the cables. The same lens found in the new SG9663DC is also used in the SGGCX2. Maximum Heat and Cold tolerances have been increased. Ventilation has been enhanced. SG9665GC has a 322 Sensor, SGGCX2 has the 323 Sensor. SGGCX2 warranty can be extended to 24 months for free if you register online.

They both use the same firmware currently.

How can I check I actually got a V4? Does this mean I have to update the firmware?

that's the correct firmware at this time, it will get updated with the next release, if you've done your warranty registration on our website you'll get sent an email notifying you when new firmware is available, we are working on firmware at the moment

I am not quite sure if the actually share firmware's too, they both run on the same SOC ( novatek 9665 )
But the GC use the IMX 322 sensor, the CX2 use the better IMX 323 sensor, as i recall the lens are the same ( no need to fix it if it isent broke )

From what I read at https://www.unifore.net/product-highlights/sony-imx323-cmos-image-sensor.html

"The IMX323 is the cost down version of current IMX322, it adopts CSP (Chip Scale Package) design. Delivering the exact same image quality under lower cost"

True that.. but there are plenty of cameras with imx322 installed that are available.

True that.. but there are plenty of cameras with imx322 installed that are available.

we bought the last of the IMX322 stock that was available at the time, some cameras are possibly still out there that have them, nothing getting made now though, the cost differences are negligible but savings of cents still matter when manufacturers are producing components in the millions of pieces

Well I guess then any camera with a IMX323 is likely going to be a newer version than a similar camera with IMX322.
ie. Amazon has a SG9665GC v3 + 128GB (IMX322) for $185
the new 2018 version SGGCX2 + 128GB (IMX323) lists for $235.

From what I read:
IMX323 is 2.19MP
IMX322 is 2.43MP
There are other differences as well, but I don't know if I can agree to calling it an upgrade...maybe just an update!

SGGCX2 is also being marketed as the “SG9665GC V4” The new private tooling/housing called for a new model series name along with the other updates listed.

Back