Bought one...

wnypoker

Reaction score
Country
United States
After doing some research, I decided to take a chance and order this model. I liked the idea of having it powered via the OBD port and wanted to try the parking attendant mode.

I drive a 2014 Chrysler 300c and the cam works well and night time recording is much better than the lower cost one I bought before I started doing research on them (Secuvox).

It does overlay the various car stats on the recording.

The motion actived parking attendant mode is a little slow to start recording. If someone walks by fairly quickly, they will be out of frame by the time the recording starts.

If anyone is interested I can post a video.

If anyone is interested I can post a video.
I am a sucker for ODB type overlays. If you could post a video with a few different overlays and go through some of the display choices I would be grateful.
Thanks.

Daytime video

Photo of display with OBD info (taken when parked, safety first :) )
IMG_0680.jpg

I'll see what I can do about a video of the various displays.

Can this info be put into the video?
Like next to your GPS Data on your video would I be able to display Engine Load and Throttle % in the video itself?

That looks good! I miss my 680s
Can this info be put into the video?
Like next to your GPS Data on your video would I be able to display Engine Load and Throttle % in the video itself?
Top left of the screen mate ;)

I had the same thing at first so figured that might be it - looks good :)

it's there, but most of it you have to guess what it is - there are units, but no labels. so what are the various percentages, etc? only one that's immediately obvious is speed.

I copied this list directly from their site:

OBD video informations include the following 15 running parameters below,which shows on the video screen.
1.Battery Voltage(V);
2. Engine Revolution Speed(rpm);
3. Driving Speed(Km/h);
4. Throttle Percentage(%);
5. Engine Load(%);
6. Coolant Temperature(??C);
7. Instent Fuel(L/h);
8. Average Fuel(L/100km);
9. Current Mileage(km);
10. Total Mileage(km);
11. Current Oil Consumption(L);
12. Total Fuel Consumption(L);
13. Fault Quantity;
14. Rapid Acceleration(Times);
15. Rapid Deceleration(Times)

Daytime video

IMG_0680.jpg

I'll see what I can do about a video of the various displays.

Daytime video looks quite good.

What data is shown would vary depending on vehicle type I would think, OBD is a connection standard but it's not a protocol standard

Howdy. This is my first post on this forum.

The GT880S looks like a lot of bang for the buck. I'll probably buy one just to play with it but I have quite a few VERY specific questions for wnypoker (or others with DIRECT knowledge) about this model. I'll break them down to make answering them easier.

1) Is the date/time manually set or automatically acquired/updated via GPS? If manual do you see a lot of time drift? If GPS, how long does it take to acquire a signal and does the unit need to wait until it has valid time before recording can begin? The root of my question is whether I can expect accurate time stamps or if I'll be requited to periodically reset the time myself.

2) Does the date/time account for world time zones and daylight savings?

3) Did your unit read all the available OBD codes correctly or were some parameters unavailable or obviously incorrect?

4) Can you select which parameters are displayed on the video overlay? For instance, can I hide my speed, mask specific erroneous OBD values, or write out clean video with no overlays?

5) Do you know what the specific file format (for example .AVI) for the video files you output from the software? Are there issues playing this video with standard players such as Windows Media Player, VLC, or Quicktime PLayer?

6) Does the display have auto dimming? How visible or distracting is it in bright daylight and at night? Can it be turned completely off?

7) Is speed information derived from the OBD port, GPS, or user-selectable?

8) Does any of the overlay data also appear superimposed over the HDMI or AV video signal? Do these video signals mirror the display (engine stats/camera) or only show the camera?

9) The OBD II port in my Ford has constant 12V power. A connected OBD device for another product was constantly draining my car's battery. As a fix I modified an OBD Y cable and swapped switched ignition power for the constant 12V. Does the GT880S drain your battery? If used with a switched 12V power source can it be set to automatically power up as soon as it sees 12V? If used with a switched 12V power source and the power is shut off/interrupted will the unit cleanly close out the current recording or is there a risk of file corruption? Can the unit be powered any way other than the OBD connector (say via USB)?

10) In the time you have owned the unit have any firmware updates been necessary/made available?

11) My final question is about your satisfaction with the product. Would you say this is an awesome product for the price, so-so, or something with a lot of bugs which might make someone defer purchasing one of these until later or go a completely different route and if so what other models with OBD would you suggest I consider? Were the instructions clear and easy to follow or did you end up just working your way through the menus to learn how to operate the thing?

I really appreciate any information folks can provide. There has been an explosion of dashcams on the market in the last few years but even now only a handful offer OBD support. Trying to contact manufacturers with questions like I'm asking is often difficult due to language barriers or sales people saying "yes" to everything in an attempt to please the customer.

We will have a test and back to your questions very soon!

These comments are all applicable to the unit I got from @GearBest

1) From my testing so far it's manual and not set by GPS
2) No - it's set manually
3) I'm running in a 2014 VW Passat TDI and the accelerator pedal percentage and engine load are way out - the camera could do with an offset setting to adjust baseline but all other values seem ok - it does seem the figure for heavy accelleration is a bit sensitive though and the TDI sets it off every time the turbo kicks in
4) No
5) They're in .MOV format at 15Mbps
6) No - it's either on showing video, there is an OBD screensaver or you can just have it turn off after a delay - in the UK you have to position them so you can't see them anyway so it was hidden behind the rearview mirror and therefore no distraction either way
7) The stamped speed appears to come straight from the ECU via OBD as it read in KPH on mine and showed the speed the car sees rather than the lower real speed that GPS would see. Likewise if you run the camera over normal USB power the camera does save all the GPS metadata into the file but Registrator Viewer doesn't register any speed although it does show position on the map
8) Don't know.
9) The OBD connector has two switches - one always provides power when there is more than 11.6V and the other just turns the camera on and off with the ACC
10) I've not had any response from Seezeus yet so mine is still on the shipped firmware
11) It all depends on how much you value the OBD data. The picture quality on mine has drifting focus issues like many other cameras as the DOD range have - it's likely to be hardware (plastic lens holder or lens) but I can't say for sure until we see firmware updates as to whether it will improve (for example the A118C had what looked like an out of focus image with some firmwares due to image settings).

Reverend, thanks. The unit sounds like a lot of bang for the buck but with the provisos "you get what you pay for" and "your mileage may vary".

I think that's a very fair way of putting it :)

The Shadow cameras are usually good at handling numberplates etc - I'll get some footage uploaded to YouTube to show how it looks.

It's very possible I just have an early sample here which has been revised but I'm waiting to hear back around firmware etc.

The Lukas cameras with OBD have very limited car support so the Shadow is the first I've seen that should work with many vehicles - if they could let you tweak it a bit then it could potentially be much better.

Size wise the thing is the same as things like the DOD LS460W and the Panorama cameras:
IMG_3854.JPG

Back