Bought Z22L, really dissapointed

billybobboy

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Hi.
I wanted to buy a cheap alternative to a dashcam. Thought i should try the xiaomi yi. It's the Z22L version with the latest firmware (1.2.13 i think).
I knew it couldn't be better than a dedicated dashcam (or a gopro), but i didn't expect so poor performance from this camera. Purple/blue-ish edges in low light (sometimes). HUGE lens flare with purple spots. It's like a russian car crash waiting to happen.
Even using it indoors, if there's a light turned on i have some blue spots.
Unless it's a cloudy day the footage is almost useless.

I didn't see any problems with the focus though.

And i don't think changing the lens would be an alternative (price/shipping/taxes).
Maybe someone has an advice.

Thanks.

Return it and:
a) get a new one.
b) get your money back.
c) get a dashcam.
d) get a gopro.

Feel free to post sample shots of what you're experiencing for comparison and diagnostic purposes.

not many action cams make good dashcams, probably the closest you'll get to dual purpose model will be the GitUp Git1, @Mtz might be able to advise the best way to buy one of those to avoid any excessive taxes or duties in Romania

Return it and:
a) get a new one.
b) get your money back.
c) get a dashcam.
d) get a gopro.

Feel free to post sample shots of what you're experiencing for comparison and diagnostic purposes.

a) i would rather buy a replacement lens. customs wanted to tax 20% of the product value (these are the taxes here). they let me go this time
b) to get my money back, i have to return it - read a)
c) too expensive if i want a good quality one, and honestly i don't want to use it just as a dashcam (travel - bla bla)
d) still expensive, even second hand, accesories as well. i'm gonna think about that, but i want to avoid this

not many action cams make good dashcams, probably the closest you'll get to dual purpose model will be the GitUp Git1, @Mtz might be able to advise the best way to buy one of those to avoid any excessive taxes or duties in Romania

So many videos online showing that YI can do both in a decent way.

Attachments

• xiaomi yi flare.jpg
    xiaomi yi flare.jpg
    609.2 KB · Views: 31
  • xiaomi yi flare 2.jpg
    xiaomi yi flare 2.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 29
depends what your expectations are I guess

Less lens flare would be one of my expectations.

Does anyone know what lens replacement involves? What lens, where to buy one, would it be worth it in my case?

Thanks for your help by the way.

You bought model without UV filter (all L models) thus pink sport, flares etc.
As dashcam i recommend Mobius, for xiaomi z23A or S model.

i have a z22L. i did the 35mbps and de noise script. im happy with the quality so far

You bought model without UV filter (all L models) thus pink sport, flares etc.
As dashcam i recommend Mobius, for xiaomi z23A or S model.

It's IR filter, not UV.

First off, clean your windshield or else get shots without it in front of your cam.

I will try to make sample photos if you really want, but it's the same...indoors too, but less of course.

Update.
Even though i said it performs well on a cloudy day, i was wrong. I did tests inside and outside car,

Check corners in photos and you can see that they are brighter. Not normal...

So, can anyone help me with info on changing the lens, please?

Attachments

• 2016-01-30 10.40.24.jpg
    2016-01-30 10.40.24.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 2016-01-30 10.41.07.jpg
    2016-01-30 10.41.07.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 2016-01-30 10.37.42.jpg
    2016-01-30 10.37.42.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • 2016-01-30 10.38.48.jpg
    2016-01-30 10.38.48.jpg