Brand new unit battery bad?

tetra

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I got it yesterday, charged it up overnight and started recording to see how long the battery life is.
At only 17 minutes of recording, the battery meter shows only 1/4 left.

Guessing the internal battery is no good? I was hoping being able to use battery instead of plugging it in all the time.

Just died around 25 mins from a full charge.

sorry to break it to you but the camera is required to be plugged in for normal operations. the internal battery is really just there to successfully complete a file save procedure when the wired power is no longer present (example: turning off your motor/accessory power).

I was about to post a fresh thread about the same topic, except my issue is that the camera doesnt stay on for longer than 15 seconds when disconnected from power. I did charge it fully before using it as suggested in other threads. However is 15 seconds normal? I have changed the auto off setting to 3 and 5 minutes with no luck.

prior to that i set it up in the car straight out of the box then went for a 30 minute drive. I came home and realised that the camera did not want to switch on and was only displaying a red LED. So i decided to leave it disconnected till the morning and then i would go through the crappy process of exchange with gearbest. I grabbed it and it suddenly it displayed a flashing blue led which means low battery. So straight away i connected it to my iphone ac adapter (1amp) and left to it charge until the red led disappears at full charge. Then it came back alive and its been working ever since.

Ok, so theres good news! I pulled it out of the car and its been going for over 15mins. It still however turns off automatically after 15 seconds when the car key is switched off. HMMM

Ok, so theres good news! I pulled it out of the car and its been going for over 15mins. It still however turns off automatically after 15 seconds when the car key is switched off. HMMM

it's meant to shutdown about 10 to 15 seconds after you remove power, that's normal

Oh i see! Then whats the point of the auto power off in the settings? Also, how does the motion detector work if its powered off?

the auto power off is to shut the camera down if it is not recording and just in standby

motion detect doesn't work great on these

there is some option on these to have them wake on impact and start recording but that can be problematic also

short answer is it's not a security system, use it just while driving and it will work far more reliably for that purpose

I totally agree with you. I have turned off motion detect and let it be.

Last question. Which metering mode it the best?

that's personal choice I think, I'm not sure that any setting is universally preferred, try it and see which you're happiest with I guess

Thanks for the replies guys.. I had a laugh out of that "25 mins is a record" post.
Plugged it in and tested in the car and everything works great so far!

Thanks for the replies guys.. I had a laugh out of that "25 mins is a record" post.
Plugged it in and tested in the car and everything works great so far!

the better ones are generally 10 to 15 minutes, 25 is way above average, a new PB for the series

I'll try it again and see if I can take a screenshot for proof!

Hello guys, I just received mine and trying to sort things out. When I plug it in, the red LED is constantly on. I've been running it on the charger for nearly an hour now, but nothing happens. Tried different styles of pressing the power button, in fact all the buttons but to no avail. Should I return it (ebay)?

Back