Breast Pocket Mount - almost anyone can do better

JimGunther

Reaction score
Country
United States
EmptyA.jpg EmptyA.jpg EmptyA.jpg I used my Mobius camera while walking around in Venice last year. Carried the darn thing (on its car mount) with battery pack in my pocket. No apologies: it recorded some nice memories but was a little clunky.
Thought a discreet (not official SPY) set-up could be a more elegant solution.

The attached photos are a very rough solution that works for me (So sue me - I'm neither an engineer nor mechanic<G>). .

I added the 2" lens cable to my Mobius. I sticky'd a piece of Velcro to the flat-back of the lens.

Took a (roughly) 3" by 6" piece of light gauge aluminum. Gouged-out an opening sufficient to allow the Mobius to "press-in" with the mounting tray preventing it from pushing through.
I then notched-out a provision for the power cord.

Lastly, I cut- off two corners at the top and sticky'd Velcro to "attach" the lens.

Slide the "mount" into the breast pocket of a jacket - bend the top tab forward (just a bit) and you've got a very discreet "walking camera" and hands free for a regular SLR camera. Yes, you do get fairly predictable movement depending on the pace of your waddle.
I'm visiting Italy again shortly and hope to document a visit to the Vatican Museums.

I'm sure ANYONE can do a cleaner and more elegant version and if anyone wants to do so commercially, you're welcome to it (Let me know, I may purchase it.

Attachments

• FrontA.jpg
    FrontA.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 86
  • SideA.jpg
    SideA.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 92
  • RearA.jpg
    RearA.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 79
That looks kinda' cool. Somewhere here on DCT someone did a similar mod only they mounted the lens module under the brim of a baseball cap which has the advantage of following where the cap wearer was looking and I think might also shoot more stable footage while walking. Perhaps you might post a video sample so we can see the working results from this project?

The hat reminds me of the Larry Middleman character from Arrested Development.
http://arresteddevelopment.wikia.com/wiki/Larry_Middleman

I was aware of the HatCam but wanted something more discreet.
I'm pretty sure the HatCam would result in a much steadier image (the Pocket mount could cause sea sickness).

Attaching photo of Mobius "installed" in Shirt, then, in Jacket breast pocket.

The dark blue blazer installation (without even blacking-out the aluminum with electrical tape) is quite stealthy. The stealty-ness can be improved in "shirt-mode" by bending the bottom inch of malleable metal mount..

PS: I've also fooled-around with a Lexan version but - so far - appreciate the ability to modify (depending on what I'm wearing) by simply bending as needed.

PPS: My mount is pretty crude. I hope someone more skilled might improve on the idea.

Attachments

• JacketA.jpg
    JacketA.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 74
  • ShirtA.jpg
    ShirtA.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 67
FWIW: Just returned from my Italy vacation.
While I documented the whole thing, installation in the breast pocket - while discreet - gave less than satisfactory results. That is, the rocking of the body coupled with a sideways orientation (the open jacket tended to aim the lens left) wasn't as I hoped.
My dash cam, though, was great.

Hehe, nice mounts. Well I guess they all work but still the mobius isn't ever going to be a spy cam I suppose! I've thought about taking one of my mobius with me to capture my walk to work, then speeding up the edit to get a time lapse effect. Maybe I can adapt the idea of post #1 to try this, but still I think I might get a few funny glances :)

I've - subsequently - played with removing the lens from the camera (with the longer cable) and "installing" the camera "inside" a hat with the lens on the underside of the brim/bill of the hat. Promising but, haven't used it enough to brag about it yet. Not certain how hot the heat sinks might get.

PS: A baseball cap has a tendency to give one the appearance of having a brain tumor. The brim/bill is nice and solid for a Velcro mount.
OTOH: An Ausie(?) sytle floppy hat allow the camera body to be more discreet but, the floppy brim is less stable for anchosing the lens (Velcro or otherwise).
PSS: You might be surprised by how FEW funny glances I got with the breast pocket set-up ('course I wasn't trying to do face-to-face secret agent interviews.

Hehe, nice mounts. Well I guess they all work but still the mobius isn't ever going to be a spy cam I suppose! I've thought about taking one of my mobius with me to capture my walk to work, then speeding up the edit to get a time lapse effect. Maybe I can adapt the idea of post #1 to try this, but still I think I might get a few funny glances :)
The Mobius lens is far to large to be used as a spy cam. You'll have a lot more possibilities if you use the #16, possibly with an extension lens. The #16 is produced by the same people who developed the Mobius and has similar parameter settings but can only record 720p (HD instead of full HD). Even though it's quite old, the #16 is still an excellent camera and well worth considering if you want a smaller camera and can live with lower resolution video.
The original #26, which comes from a different manufacturer, can record in 1080p and has a much smaller lens than the Mobius. However, the camera is not very popular and the firmware is primitive in comparison to the Mobius or #16. Support is virtually non-existent, so you're basically on your own.

I'm not interested - per se - in a Spy-Cam (the breast pocket deal is hardly spy-worthy).
I am, however, interested in a Point-Of-View thing that I can just set-and-forget and isn't obtrusive, and doesn't make me look like (too much of<G>) a geek..

For example: I want to an NHRA Drag Race last week and recorded 4 or so hours of qualifying just holding the Mobius in my hand with the external battery in my pocket. Great intuitive tracking. Of course no telephoto, so, "use-ability" was as good as the seat or position I had relative to the cars. The hat mount may (or may not) have not been a bit simpler.

Putting aside for the moment just how "geeky" it would or wouldn't look, it could be an interesting idea to replace a flashlight headlamp with a remote lens mounted Mobius. If the lens were mounted on a swivel like in this headlamp design, it would make for an excellent POV cam.

headlamp.jpg

Putting aside for the moment just how "geeky" it would or wouldn't look, it could be an interesting idea to replace a flashlight headlamp with a remote lens mounted Mobius. If the lens were mounted on a swivel like in this headlamp design, it would make for an excellent POV cam.

View attachment 14175

why is there a light on that up side down thong :D

Back