Bricked after attempted firmware update.

Is there any way to actually get the firmware on a bricked device?
The seller wants me to pay return shipping to China, which is ridiculous under these circumstances.

If trying the reset button and all else fails you may want to consider investing in a new PCB mainboard which is available from digitalele889 on eBay for approximately half the cost of a new Maxi. digitalele889 is a direct seller outlet for the Mobius manufacturer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323780740949

The seller wants me to pay return shipping to China, which is ridiculous under these circumstances.
did you pay for the Maxi with PayPal? they offer return shipping refund

I believe there is a tricky process involving Windows 7, advanced boot modes, shorting out the PCB and reinstalling device drivers. Not for the faint-hearted!

I bricked one of my beta test Maxi a few months ago but have not got around to trying to run Win7 on my Win10 machine so I can fix it.

I thought Mobius said they would pay for the return shipping:
please help to send the old one back to us, we will cover the shipping cost

If trying the reset button and all else fails you may want to consider investing in a new PCB mainboard which is available from digitalele889 on eBay for approximately half the cost of a new Maxi. digitalele889 is a direct seller outlet for the Mobius manufacturer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323780740949

I'm not prepared to spend any more on one of these cameras. The same thing could just happen again. How does someone with a capacitor ever update?

did you pay for the Maxi with PayPal? they offer return shipping refund

Yes I did, I'll take a look into that.

...I thought Mobius said they would pay for the return shipping:

I had misunderstood Mobius' reply. Thought they were asking for it back first then deciding on contributing to a return cost. I'll get in touch and go from there. Thanks

I'm not prepared to spend any more on one of these cameras. The same thing could just happen again. How does someone with a capacitor ever update?

The problem is highly unlikely to reoccur with a new circuit board, especially if you follow the correct procedure for updating the firmware. The solution to updating firmware on a Mobius with a super-capacitor installed is quite simple. Once you've transferred the new firmware .BRN file to your memory card and inserted it into the camera all you need to do is power up the camera using a standard USB 5V Wall charger and a standard 5 pin USB-A to Mini-B cable. This will avoid the issues you will encounter if you plug the camera into a computer.

wall_charger.jpg

usb_a_mini_b.jpg

The same thing could just happen again. How does someone with a capacitor ever update?

I think they have made changes in the latest available to avoid any further bricking while updating. I've personally not had any problems updating with a capacitor installed but then I've always made sure that the camera doesn't lose power when the update is in progress.

I think they have made changes in the latest available to avoid any further bricking while updating. I've personally not had any problems updating with a capacitor installed but then I've always made sure that the camera doesn't lose power when the update is in progress.

My camera is brand new. I own 3 others for many years. If it can happen to me, I don't see how it can't happen to others, often.

Tried to reset, tried with battery, tried with capacitor, tried with msetup connected to camera and pc. Removed lens from extension cable and put back on the original one, all efforts have been in vain.
Contacted the main seller of these (electophone) on the bay, lets see what the customer service is like, will report back if/when I hear back.
I am in the exact same situation after using the Mobius Maxi camera one weekend. Every time I used mSetup it wanted me to update the firmware. So I did. Fully charged the oem battery and the update seemed to go by the book, but at the end, the camera never restarted itself when it should have. Hung there. fwiw, I also have two Mobius Cams, the originals, so I am somewhat familiar with them.

So the Maxi is bricked now after following every suggestion listed here. Green charging light when attached to pc or charger. mSetup not seeing it. Again, never used a capacitor. I opened the camera to see if the connections were secure. They appeared fine. Regardless, I reset each of them twice to no avail. Solid green light is all it get, no blinks, just green light. Asking for refund or replacement from China. 90 days after purchase, used this one time as a dash cam in my race car.

Attachments

• Mobius cam green.jpg
    Mobius cam green.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back