Bricked after attempted firmware update.

@sharpharp @MavenDE one other thing i could think of, have you tried manually reflashing the firmware -
using a formatted sd card with only the firmware file on it?

@sharpharp @MavenDE one other thing i could think of, have you tried manually reflashing the firmware -
using a formatted sd card with only the firmware file on it?

Yes, tried that today. Deleted everything on SD card, placed the latest firmware file in the root of the sd card, insert card, but then when what do you do? None of the buttons respond as previously mentioned, there is no response from plugging into a pc via USB (other than the 2 sec green circle light - when with capacitor installed), so how you meant to manually reflash it?

Thanks

@sharpharp It seems the camera got bricked due to incomplete firmware updating. We noticed a few cases happended especially when using super capacitor. The power of super capacitor is only enough to close a recording file and turn the system off, not enough for a firmware updating process. Even with external power connected, sometimes the USB connection may not be stable and any power interruption during firmware updating could cause failure. The best procedure for updating firmware for Mobius cameras (actually for any digital devices): A fully charged battery + Stable external power supply.
Please don't worry, the reseller will send you a replacement camera. Appreciate your understanding they will need the camera shipped back for testing.

@sharpharp It seems the camera got bricked due to incomplete firmware updating. We noticed a few cases happended especially when using super capacitor. The power of super capacitor is only enough to close a recording file and turn the system off, not enough for a firmware updating process. Even with external power connected, sometimes the USB connection may not be stable and any power interruption during firmware updating could cause failure. The best procedure for updating firmware for Mobius cameras (actually for any digital devices): A fully charged battery + Stable external power supply.
Please don't worry, the reseller will send you a replacement camera. Appreciate your understanding they will need the camera shipped back for testing.
does this mean that everytime i flash a new firmware with a capacitor installed, i'm in a risk of bricking the Maxi ? I've already done so many times. didn't get a battery with my Maxi, so I don't have any other option

Most dedicated dashcams have capacitors, not batteries. To avoid problems when updating firmware on any dashcam it is important to use a stable power supply

A fully charged battery can be used as a stable power supply if you have one.

@Isoprop posted this useful firmware update guidance on the RCGroups Maxi support page :

If you have a weak battery or are unsure of the battery state then it is better (safer) to follow the instructions below:
  1. Connect the camera, with a blank freshly formatted card inserted, to your computer.
  2. Copy the firmware .bin file to the blank card.
  3. Use Windows to 'Safely Remove" the USB device (camera). DO NOT disconnect the camera.
  4. Once you get the message telling you it is safe to remove the USB device press the large power button to turn the camera off. DO NOT disconnect the camera.
  5. Wait until only the green LED is lit, or possibly, no LED is on.
  6. Press the large Power button to turn the camera on. DO NOT disconnect the camera until the LEDs have stopped flashing. This will take a minute or two, so be patient.
  7. The camera will beep when it automatically connects as an external drive once the firmware has been correctly updated.
  8. All the camera settings will be reset to their default values. The date and time will also be reset to their factory values.
The boot loader is, very unfortunately, integrated into the firmware so it is imperative to never interrupt the firmware update process.

Never update the firmware in a rush and always follow the instructions precisely.

Last edited:
Yes, tried that today. Deleted everything on SD card, placed the latest firmware file in the root of the sd card, insert card, but then when what do you do? None of the buttons respond as previously mentioned, there is no response from plugging into a pc via USB (other than the 2 sec green circle light - when with capacitor installed), so how you meant to manually reflash it?

Thanks
I meant using the manual flashing procedure from the manual , i use an external power supply instead of a PC

Manual Firmware Update
DO NOT PRESS ANY BUTTONS during the firmware update process.
There are two methods with which you can update the firmware.
Method 1 without pressing any buttons (recommended method):
• Turn off the camera.
• Connect the camera to the computer and wait until the card is recognized as a
Removable Drive.
• Copy the new firmware files into the camera's flash card root folder.
• Disconnect the camera from the computer and wait until it turns off.
• Wait until all the LEDs are turned off.
• Connect the camera to the PC. The green LED, indicating the battery is charging,
may turn on. WAIT.
• The LEDs will blink rapidly indicating the firmware is being updated. WAIT
• The firmware will be updated when the LEDs stop flashing and the camera is
recognized as a Removable Drive.
• The firmware file will have been automatically deleted.

If this is the case, why are there no instructions provided to all Capacitor users NOT to update firmware while Capacitor is inside? Another failure to get the communication out to customers.
Yes the reseller has been in touch about a replacement camera, so will update here when it arrives and how I get on.

I meant using the manual flashing procedure from the manual , i use an external power supply instead of a PC

Manual Firmware Update
DO NOT PRESS ANY BUTTONS during the firmware update process.
There are two methods with which you can update the firmware.
Method 1 without pressing any buttons (recommended method):
• Turn off the camera.
• Connect the camera to the computer and wait until the card is recognized as a
Removable Drive.
• Copy the new firmware files into the camera's flash card root folder.
• Disconnect the camera from the computer and wait until it turns off.
• Wait until all the LEDs are turned off.
• Connect the camera to the PC. The green LED, indicating the battery is charging,
may turn on. WAIT.
• The LEDs will blink rapidly indicating the firmware is being updated. WAIT
• The firmware will be updated when the LEDs stop flashing and the camera is
recognized as a Removable Drive.
• The firmware file will have been automatically deleted.

Tried all that Tom, no LED blinking when connected to PC, in a word its "bricked", awaiting replacement.

Not sure why everyone is harping on about a "Stable power supply", the Maxi provided USB cable itself is supposed to be the Stable power supply isn't it?
The battery is fully charged, even with that seated, there is no return for the "Mobius Bricksi"

Will give Mobius the benefit of the doubt and see if the replacement is a better batch when it arrives and update here

Mobius, where is the new firmware, mSetup and android app?
I am clicking to update every day and nothing new is shown:(

I am sure they will let us know when something new is ready.

Will a USA reseller take back a mobius maxi sold by you for exchange>?

They sent me a replacement, just setting it up, but having issues getting it to work with a capacitor (see the other thread I posted)

All up and running, got another capacitor and that charged up fine...

Now to see how the picture quality is with the replacement and the lens extension

My maxi stopped working. I think the supercapacitor is bad.
When I put the battery in the lights came on. Trying to update the firmware things went wrong. Now all I get is a steady green light.
The maxi is not even recognized by the computer.
How do I get this working again?

This happened to me way back in December i think, the issue was NOT the power supply it was the USB connector was loose, its a cheap USB port on the board that has always had a bit of wiggle to it. i bumped it while it was flashing and it lost power for a second or so and bricked the device.

I had posted about this bad flash on the forums for the RC stuff where the dev's are and never got it re flashed to any useful state.

I went to buy another one, but nobody had them in stock in north america when i tried to buy one again in January.

Right. Hi Guys,
I've just joined the forum right now.
I own 3 mobius cameras. Have had them years and always recommended them. 2 of the originals. Then one that's an updated model of the original with the square LEDs. So seeing the 2.7K mobius I decided to get it.
Plugged it into the car for the first time this morning after waiting weeks for it to arrive.

Took the camera inside to look at the video it's recorded. I use my mobius cameras as dash cams. Front and rear. Well. First only 1 file saved as valid. All others were the normal size but wouldn't play.
I wasn't very impressed with the image quality.

Anyway being a long term mobius user of a few years I decided to see what software i needed to do the settings on the camera. Turns out it's the same software. Great, I thought.
Immediately it told me that the camera I've bought and used for 40 mins in the car already has a firmware update available.

ok. Familiar with the process I did it. But seems like many others either the usb connection is crappy or the capacitor hasn't much juice. Update failed. Camera is now a brick.
Have tried the reset button. It does nothing. Wont recognise on the PC anymore as it did before. Green light comes on if i plug it in. After few secs it goes out. So capacitor is charged I'm guessing. But if i just touch the usb it comes back on so clearly a poor connection. This is the cable I use with my 3 other cameras.

This is really irritating. Literally bricked within the first hour of use. This is going to be a real pain in the A now to get my money back. I won't be asking for a replacement. I have no faith in this junk.

Oh, I also tried copying the firmware to the SD card that retained the contents. Firmware wont update manually either...

@AllWheelSteering Sorry it seems the camera got "bricked" due to incomplete firmware updating from SD memory card. The power of super capacitor is only enough to close a recording file and turn the system off, not enough for a firmware updating process.
Please PM your shipping address and where you purchased the Maxi from, we will get a new camera sent to you. If the new camera is tested OK and satisfactory, please help to send the old one back to us, we will cover the shipping cost. Thanks.

@Mobius @Isoprop The firmware update instructions in mSetup should probably make it clear that if a capacitor is being used, the camera should not be disconnected from the computer during the update.

@Isoprop posted this useful firmware update guidance on the RCGroups Maxi support page :

If you have a weak battery or are unsure of the battery state then it is better (safer) to follow the instructions below:
  1. Connect the camera, with a blank freshly formatted card inserted, to your computer.
  2. Copy the firmware .bin file to the blank card.
  3. Use Windows to 'Safely Remove" the USB device (camera). DO NOT disconnect the camera.
  4. Once you get the message telling you it is safe to remove the USB device press the large power button to turn the camera off. DO NOT disconnect the camera.
  5. Wait until only the green LED is lit, or possibly, no LED is on.
  6. Press the large Power button to turn the camera on. DO NOT disconnect the camera until the LEDs have stopped flashing. This will take a minute or two, so be patient.
  7. The camera will beep when it automatically connects as an external drive once the firmware has been correctly updated.
  8. All the camera settings will be reset to their default values. The date and time will also be reset to their factory values.
The boot loader is, very unfortunately, integrated into the firmware so it is imperative to never interrupt the firmware update process.

Never update the firmware in a rush and always follow the instructions precisely.

--------------

This advice also applies to cameras with a capacitor instead of a battery.

Is there any way to actually get the firmware on a bricked device?
The seller wants me to pay return shipping to China, which is ridiculous under these circumstances.

Back