Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC v3
Here's how things looked before the last firmware update:

BXEjyDN.jpg

AFTER updating to the last firmware of November 2018:

z1KgDGY.jpg

Got darkened and unsharp, even blurry in some conditions if the sun is not blazing bright.
Brightness & contrast got sunk.

LqbQ1QN.jpg

It will also oscillate the brightness around in orientation with the sun

HfY1y5z.jpg

What to do, what to do go back to an earlier firmware?
Nothing else was messed with - no lens filter or any of that.
Just firmware.

can't really compare results from two different days, what firmware version where you on previously?

"You have the camera aimed a bit too high. "

Look again - the camera is in the same exact position in both the good and bad photo examples. Like I said in the post "nothing else was messed with". The only thing changed was the firmware - it was doing good before that occurred.

"Did you reset to factory default settings after the update?"

Nooope - didn't do any manual reset. Never did it before - things were usually all reset during the update, and would only have to go back and redo the date and various preferences.

can't really compare results from two different days,
I picked convenient examples that represent what issues are being experienced. How many do you need? I could fill this thread up with pic after pic from day after day, but it'd get pretty redundant. What you see is what is going on.

what firmware version where you on previously?
Whichever main release it was prior to the November 2018 update.

different time and place will deliver different results, there are
Like I said, how many examples do you need across different times & places? It's all dark & yucked up no matter where or when. It was all good - then it wasn't.

no image quality related adjustments between the version you have now and the prior version
Gonna put that theory to the test on the next outing in the next few days - will roll back the firmware version and see what happens then.

these are the changes to the firmware you updated to, nothing image quality related

1. Change - Update card detection algorithm at startup for improved memory support
2. Change - Set default date after updating to 01/01/2018
3. Change - Firmware version to 'V4'

4. Add - Romanian language menu option

"You have the camera aimed a bit too high. "

Look again - the camera is in the same exact position in both the good and bad photo examples. Like I said in the post "nothing else was messed with". The only thing changed was the firmware - it was doing good before that occurred.

Move the lens to include a bit of the dashboard.

Reactions: EGS
Like I said, how many examples do you need across different times & places? It's all dark & yucked up no matter where or when. It was all good - then it wasn't.

Gonna put that theory to the test on the next outing in the next few days - will roll back the firmware version and see what happens then.
regardless of the before and after firware upgrade and pictures you have provided, you will see the difference if you just lower you camera lens a little bit. Just try it! it wont cost you nothing, and if that doesn't work then you shall proceed with your claim. I used to have mine barely seeing the nose of my vehicle and yes, I had beautiful sky view but trees and cars where way too dark. then I reposition my camera where it needed to be, to see the cars not the birds on the sky and the plate numbers on the cars finally became readable. yes, the sky line may become a bit overexposed at times but my main goal is to see detail on cars not the sky in case there is an unfortunate event i need to save.

Last edited:

Move the lens to include a bit of the dashboard.
that is a great example you posted. I did the same in mine whay back and it helped tremendously.

It is almost always best to have no more than 40% sky in the top of the image so that the cam can better adjust itself to the various lighting conditions. This is how they are usually designed to work.

Phil

Reactions: EGS
Fell back to the SG20171103.V3 firmware from November 2017, with a new EVO 128g card - improved results

8MwV5Ht.jpg

Had a lot of scattered cloud cover this day, dodging in & out of light - colors are better, not so washed out as before, vid crisper. Don't know if there was actually some odd firmware issue or a prob with the card - a new EVO 256g card was put in at the time of change to the November 2018 vSG20181127.V4 firmware - maybe the firmware and that sized card don't play well together.

Focus is noticed to have worsened. It was out of focus at the extreme left from the time I got it and it has gradually progressed towards the right. Can't even make out the yellow sign. That's gonna need work.

regardless of the before and after firware upgrade and pictures you have provided, you will see the difference if you just lower you camera lens a little bit. Just try it! it wont cost you nothing, and if that doesn't work then you shall proceed with your claim. I used to have mine barely seeing the nose of my vehicle and yes, I had beautiful sky view but trees and cars where way too dark. then I reposition my camera where it needed to be, to see the cars not the birds on the sky and the plate numbers on the cars finally became readable. yes, the sky line may become a bit overexposed at times but my main goal is to see detail on cars not the sky in case there is an unfortunate event i need to save.

Not going to be anything different. Like I said NOTHING WAS CHANGED from when it was doing good. The pics I posted are clipped - there's info on the bottom I don't want posted all over the internet.

then you shall proceed with your claim

What are you talking about - I'm not making a "claim" about anything. I'm just trying to figure out what happened and get things back to the way they were.

It is almost always best to have no more than 40% sky in the top of the image so that the cam can better adjust itself to the various lighting conditions. This is how they are usually designed to work.

Phil

That's how it's set - the photos are cropped from full size, good part of the bottom was clipped off.

The focus or resolution does seem a little poor, especially when looking at that yellow sign and plates. Here's some recent shots from my SG9665GC which is a v1 and I've been running this for God knows how long now and it's been very consistent. I can check what firmware and settings I'm running if you want.

Day.png

Night.png

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dashmellow SG9665GC 455
scootle SG9665GC 6
Back