Broadcast to YouTube Live

AdamHLG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone actually gotten this to work? I can get as far as the dialog where I am asked to select my YouTube account from accounts.google.com, and I select my account, and then it asks me to grant access to Blackvue to manage and view the account, but when I click "allow", the next screen I get is blank with a pop-up that says "Failed to start live broadcasting".

I am curious if I am missing an obvious step. I mean, I have a valid YouTube account.

Thanks

bf98df4e844e7eea1aa1cd40e8934a20.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

does that service work on their free accounts?
I have no idea. Is this why it is not working? I have found zero documentation on the issue.

I have no idea. Is this why it is not working?

not sure, don't know the ins and outs of the service but do recall it being mentioned that the service had some limitations if you just used it free and didn't subscribe to the monthly service

Has anyone actually gotten this to work? I can get as far as the dialog where I am asked to select my YouTube account from accounts.google.com, and I select my account, and then it asks me to grant access to Blackvue to manage and view the account, but when I click "allow", the next screen I get is blank with a pop-up that says "Failed to start live broadcasting".

I am curious if I am missing an obvious step. I mean, I have a valid YouTube account.

Thanks

bf98df4e844e7eea1aa1cd40e8934a20.jpg

Hi there,
There is no restriction of time on YouTube Live or Facebook Live usage, even with a Free BlackVue Over the Cloud account. You could be streaming for hours to your Facebook Page, personal account or YouTube channel without it counting towards your daily Live View time.
For YouTube streaming, however, you might need to first enable streaming at your YouTube account level.
The easiest way to do this (as far as I know) is to connect to your YouTube account, then go to Creator Studio > Channel > Status and features > Live Streaming > Enable.
Let me know if that helps.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi there, you should

Hi there,
There is no restriction of time on YouTube Live or Facebook Live usage, even with a Free BlackVue Over the Cloud account. You could be streaming for hours to your Facebook Page, personal account or YouTube channel without it counting towards your daily Live View time.
For YouTube streaming, however, you might need to first enable streaming at your YouTube account level.
The easiest way to do this (as far as I know) is to connect to your YouTube account, then go to Creator Studio > Channel > Status and features > Live Streaming > Enable.
Let me know if that helps.
Thank you.
Tried that. No luck. I have live streaming enabled, my channel is verified, and I have no live stream retrtictions. Blackvue has access via Google account settings.

I got it working! I deleted the blackvue access permission from my Google account on my computer thinking perhaps if the app seeks a new permission it might work and it did!

Profit! Thanks for the suggestions I can confirm this is working.

I got it working! I deleted the blackvue access permission from my Google account on my computer thinking perhaps if the app seeks a new permission it might work and it did!

Profit! Thanks for the suggestions I can confirm this is working.

Glad to hear that. Thanks for the followup!

This is amazingly cool I might add. This is all very new to me. I was actually able to find and copy the URL to my youtube live stream from the YouTube control panel. I assume this URL never changes and if this is the case I can simply send that same URL to specific friends if I want them to view the camera when I enable a live broadcast. On the YouTube control panel I did set broadcast to 'private' which I assume means people will need my specific URL if they want to watch.

I am learning as I go but if anybody has any other tips and suggestions this is as good of a thread as any to track suggestions. Thanks again for the help.

This is amazingly cool I might add. This is all very new to me. I was actually able to find and copy the URL to my youtube live stream from the YouTube control panel. I assume this URL never changes and if this is the case I can simply send that same URL to specific friends if I want them to view the camera when I enable a live broadcast. On the YouTube control panel I did set broadcast to 'private' which I assume means people will need my specific URL if they want to watch.

I am learning as I go but if anybody has any other tips and suggestions this is as good of a thread as any to track suggestions. Thanks again for the help.

Usually if something is set to "Private" on YouTube, only you can see it.
If you want to share a YouTube link without the video being searchable publicly, it should be set to "Unlisted".

Usually if something is set to "Private" on YouTube, only you can see it.
If you want to share a YouTube link without the video being searchable publicly, it should be set to "Unlisted".
Got it. Will do. Thanks!

I have tried the Youtube live function a couple of times and got it to work fine, but I get a bit annoyed over the aspect ratio! Somehow the camera (or youtube) mess with the ratio and the video is squeezed a bit. Anyone know if there is a way to fix this?

If you look at this screencapture from a live ... The video is not as wide as it should be and has black edges to the right and left. (It's from a DR650GW, but it's the same with the 750)
When you grab the file and edit it's full size.
Skärmklipp 2018-01-16 21.28.09.png

Edit:

Live view and live on facebook/youtube is 720x480... That doesn't add ut to the same aspect ratio as 1920x1080. It compresses the 1920 2,67x and the 1080 2,25x! Why did they do that? Stupid! :/

Last edited:
Can I ask in a nice way why you would want to do this, other than because you can. I took a camera on a holiday in the USA and saved all the recordings..

On looking at them later found it was as boring as bat***t looking at hours and hours of tarmac and little else. Ended up deleting 99%of it.

Same with trips locally booooorrrrriiiiingggg.

Like most things people buy something for one purpose and then use it for another. I bought mine in case I have an accident and for nothing else I occasionally look at the video when I format the card about every two months or so. Apart from that I couldnt care less about it.

As far as I can see thats what they were intended for.

Also in the above pic your camera is looking to high 1/3 sky 2/3 everything else

I have a Youtube channel with about 10k subscribers. It would be nice to be able to do a live session some times.. For example I was driving through Stockholm yesterday in a snow storm.. That could be speciell enough for a live session. :)

I have a Youtube channel with about 10k subscribers. It would be nice to be able to do a live session some times.. For example I was driving through Stockholm yesterday in a snow storm.. That could be speciell enough for a live session. :)
With that many subscribers the viability of live stream sessions increases dramatically, especially if there's likely good content from driving on the day, fun inter-activity from the viewers, etc. I'd do it, especially as it's becoming as easy and cost-effective to stream as upload.

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

Yes, live streaming is a very interesting option, at least when you have the feeling that what is happening in that moments is interesting. But maybe live streaming on Facebook will be more interesting for other people.
This is good as backup or for some special moments. I know the video quality can not be good because of streaming possibilities but at least, you have ”something” instead of ”nothing”.

enjoy,
Mtz

I have tried the Youtube live function a couple of times and got it to work fine, but I get a bit annoyed over the aspect ratio! Somehow the camera (or youtube) mess with the ratio and the video is squeezed a bit. Anyone know if there is a way to fix this?

If you look at this screencapture from a live ... The video is not as wide as it should be and has black edges to the right and left. (It's from a DR650GW, but it's the same with the 750)
When you grab the file and edit it's full size.
View attachment 35755

Edit:

Live view and live on facebook/youtube is 720x480... That doesn't add ut to the same aspect ratio as 1920x1080. It compresses the 1920 2,67x and the 1080 2,25x! Why did they do that? Stupid! :/
Hi VolvoDashcam, you make a good point here. I am not sure if this will change in the near future but I wanted to share a bit of background on why the D1 format was chosen (it is actually 704x480). When BlackVue Over the Cloud was being developed back in 2014/2015, the developers had the possibility to use the VGA resolution (640x480). However, VGA was considered too "low res" and quite far from the 16:9 ratio, so they went with a higher resolution which was also closer to the 16:9 ratio (although not exactly 16:9). In the end, it all comes down to having a standardized resolution that allows for an OK quality at the target bitrate.

The Live View video stream covers the whole frame recorded by the dashcam (although at a lower resolution and slightly different ratio). On the BlackVue App, the Live View feed is resized to match the 16:9 ratio. However, when streaming to Facebook or YouTube, the stream is sent directly to those services "as is". On YouTube, the 480p option displays videos in a 854x480 pixels resolution, hence the lateral black bars.

I reported this issue to the developers and although they have a lot in the pipeline, they will eventually work on addressing this issue.

Thank you.

Edited for accuracy (2018-01-25).

Last edited:
Thank you very much Jeremie!
I did mail the issues to the support but got an answer showing that the one at the first line support didn't know much about aspect ratio or the live view function. I was going to try to explain in an answer but it seems like you know what I am talking about and that the information al least has gone through to the right place. :)

Now we just have to see if there will be any improvements. I have another dashcam I can connect to my computer and stream in 720p if I want to.. But it's a bit more prepararion and I have to have the computer instead of just the camera and a phone. I hope Blackvue gives us a chance to stream in a little higher resolution in the future. Or at least at the right aspect ratio. ;)

Higher resolution is not good for data mobile usage. 16:9 480p should be OK for such feature. The best is to offer two solutions: 480p and 720p.

enjoy,
Mtz

Higher resolution is not good for data mobile usage. 16:9 480p should be OK for such feature. The best is to offer two solutions: 480p and 720p.

enjoy,
Mtz
Leave the desicion about resolution and bandwidth to the user. I have a dataplan for 40gb per month on my phone. Also has a 4g modem with 10gb that I can fill up extra if needed.

I don’t mind if 480p is the standard resolution, as long as I have the choise to set it higher.
Problem might be if the camera is to slow to process and stream a higher resolution/bandwidth. :/

Back