Budget Dash Cam

Mfizz1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to buy a dash cam for my dad. So far I have narrowed it down to the following and was wondering if one has any benefits over the other.

Xiaomi Mijia DVR - £37.83 (China)
Yi Dashcam (2014) - £38.24 (Amazon UK)
Aukey DR-01 - £39.99 (Amazon UK)
AzDome A305 - £45 (Amazon UK)
360 J511 - £46 (Gearbest)

Key thing above all else is reliability followed by quality. I live in the UK so whilst capacitor would be preferable its not a deal breaker. Did get rather hot here recently. Wifi would also be nice as it allow him to quickly view what videos are on there without dismounting the dash.

A level of parking mode be it time lapse or motion detection would be nice too. This is why the Anker Roav C1 appeals to me as well but it is just a bit too much knowing that it was on offer for £55 about 3 weeks ago.

Want very little tampering and needs to be disccreet.

If i am missing a particular dash cam that would be better suited then let me know.

Thanks

Last edited:
Does your father have/use a smartphone.

A couple of those cams have smartphone apps/capability.

I think he'd prefer it he struggles with small screens and buttons . He manages with his large screen phone 6 plus I think.

Just saw an offer on gearbest for 360 so i'll add that on here too.

Last edited:
I like the YI, and it's pretty reliable, 'user friendly' to some extent. Not 'stealthy', though.

I'm not familiar with the Aukey, but it seems simple and has decent specs.

FWIW, the Aukey DR-01 (and the identically priced (on Amazon) Aukey 1080p wedge cam) come with a 45-Day money back guarantee and 24-Month warranty, which is unprecedented compared to other dash cams.

Last edited:
@Dashmellow identically priced? it is 69.99 and 39.99 could you please send me a link. If the wedge is the same price it is a bargain then.

ah i see. The UK one is priced at £69.99 or $90 for you guys. I think the warranty alone for 2 years is pretty good for the Aukey Dr01? I am being swayed...

ah i see. The UK one is priced at £69.99 or $90 for you guys. I think the warranty alone for 2 years is pretty good for the Aukey Dr01? I am being swayed...

Yeah, it's USD vs £. :)

Amazon plays a lot of games with pricing which can be a double edged sword but can also be a great thing if you happen to buy at the right time. Sometimes I've kept my eye on certain products on Amazon and waited for the inevitable (temporary) price drop.

If you're buying from the UK 2 year warranty is standard, not sure if that will change once brexit is official as that's an EU thing

The two year warranty seems to be an Aukey thing, not connected to any UK or EU standards. All Aukey products (such as their power banks, for example) come with a 45 day return policy and a 24 month warranty.

UK was mentioned, two years is the standard there, currently at least, can't see them going back to one year once brexit goes through though as people won't want to cop less than what they've been getting in the past

agreed it is a EU thing electronic items that it must carry 2 years. Remember apple trying to get away with the 1 year warranty until it became a problem. In addition UK also has a sales of goods act, whereby a product that is suppose to function for a long time dies without any out of ordinary use. I.e. TV or console, this one though is upon retailers discretion unless you want to take it up with the courts.

agreed it is a EU thing electronic items that it must carry 2 years. Remember apple trying to get away with the 1 year warranty until it became a problem. In addition UK also has a sales of goods act, whereby a product that is suppose to function for a long time dies without any out of ordinary use. I.e. TV or console, this one though is upon retailers discretion unless you want to take it up with the courts.

the more I read about UK rules and regulations the more apparent it is that we seem to pretty much follow what happens in the UK

So I ordered the dr-01 because of the capacitor and warranty and trusted brand. Might put up a review for it once I have it installed. I shall be back when I need a cam for myself. Why can't viofo just make the a119s with WiFi and buffered parking? Can't be that hard lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

So I ordered the dr-01 because of the capacitor and warranty and trusted brand. Might put up a review for it once I have it installed. I shall be back when I need a cam for myself. Why can't viofo just make the a119s with WiFi and buffered parking? Can't be that hard lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
How are you & your dad getting on with the DR01? I just picked up one today in an amazon lightning deal that I plan to install in my wife's car. Of course I'll have to test it first ;)

How are you & your dad getting on with the DR01? I just picked up one today in an amazon lightning deal that I plan to install in my wife's car. Of course I'll have to test it first ;)
Well I tested it for a couple.of hours seems good enough. Have a few issues the led is on the left, bad for right hand drive.

The accelerometer sensor for me doesn't seem to work.

It has no way of knowing that your are parked. Other than that it's all good. How much did you get yours for?

Well I tested it for a couple.of hours seems good enough. Have a few issues the led is on the left, bad for right hand drive.

The accelerometer sensor for me doesn't seem to work.

It has no way of knowing that your are parked. Other than that it's all good. How much did you get yours for?
LED placement prob isn't an issue for me but I'll see.

I don't intend using the accelerometer / g-sensor, or motion sensor. I just want to record constantly, including when parked.

Price was £34

Back