Buffered parking for ~$300

mikalcarbine

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all

I really like what I've read on the SG9663D but I'm looking for something that can support buffered parking mode, inclusion of a rear camera would also be a plus. I'm not a huge fan of the F800 Pro mostly due to the price and that it records at 10Mbps bit rate. Are there any other cameras I should look at?

Mike

After posting this I stumbled across the A129, it seems like the parking mode is kind of watered down, it doesn't offer true prebuffered normal quality recording

1. Auto Event Detection (almost same as motion detection): When a moving objects is detected while parking, a video is recorded for 60 seconds. This recording mode is not pre-buffered so it is not ideal if you are hoping to capture the moment of impact.
  2. Time Lapse Recording at 1fps, 2fps, 3fps, 5fps or 10fps. While parked, the camera will be always recording at the low fps but no audio is recorded.
  3. Low Bitrate Recording at approx 4Mbps will always record when parked and audio is recorded

Would 4mbps bitrate or 10fps video be sufficient or useful enough to capture anything in these scenarios?

After posting this I stumbled across the A129, it seems like the parking mode is kind of watered down, it doesn't offer true prebuffered normal quality recording

1. Auto Event Detection (almost same as motion detection): When a moving objects is detected while parking, a video is recorded for 60 seconds. This recording mode is not pre-buffered so it is not ideal if you are hoping to capture the moment of impact.
  2. Time Lapse Recording at 1fps, 2fps, 3fps, 5fps or 10fps. While parked, the camera will be always recording at the low fps but no audio is recorded.
  3. Low Bitrate Recording at approx 4Mbps will always record when parked and audio is recorded
Would 4mbps bitrate or 10fps video be sufficient or useful enough to capture anything in these scenarios?
Buffered Parking Mode is currently being beta tested and should be available in an upcoming firmware update.

Have you tried buffered parking mode on the A129 yet?
No, unfortunately my A129 is incapable of running it, which is partly why I provided the link that I did - a suggestion that the low bitrate parking mode might be found preferable anyway...

I don't think timelapse is ideal, even at 10fps, since no sound is recorded.

Buffered Parking Mode is currently being beta tested and should be available in an upcoming firmware update.
The A129 beta buffered parking mode that I tested recorded at 8Mbps. This may change in the final FW version.

Last edited:
This is a sample A129 4mbps low bitrate parking video. I don't think timelapse is ideal, even at 10fps, since no sound is recorded.

The A129 beta buffered parking mode that I tested recorded at 8Mbps. This may change in the final FW version.

Did you trim the video or did it cut off early?

I think i would use low bitrate regular always recording for parking mode, i like time lapse too if it wasent for the missing sound.
The old fashioned buffered parking mode i find less than ideal, at least with the amount of buffer we have in cameras today.

Garmin DashCam 55 has a good, reliable buffered parking function. It is a single channel only and it does not include parking videos in normal rotation.

I emailed that Amazon vendor (Dashoto) and they said they work directly with VIOFO and the warranty is in tact (which is 1 year). I think I'll give the A129 a go! I'll give the low bitrate parking mode a try and hopefully newer updates might bring about new features

I emailed that Amazon vendor (Dashoto) and they said they work directly with VIOFO and the warranty is in tact (which is 1 year). I think I'll give the A129 a go! I'll give the low bitrate parking mode a try and hopefully newer updates might bring about new features
Since you are in USA, you could try CaptureYourAction who posted above, might get better service from there.
The Viofo factory warrantee would require returning to China, best to buy from someone who will provide local returns.

The Goluk T3 also pre-buffers at a lower price level than the usual Korean cams noted for this. I'm hoping the A129 will soon support this.

Phil

Back