Buffered parking mode with motion detection on

I do wish that @viofo will set the motion detection to low bitrate which I believe will be able to lower the power consumption and thus lead to lower heat. Or at least maybe an option for us to decide what bitrate we desire as some might want maximum bitrate lol.

This will be useful for us who are in warm / hot climate especially where i stay and during summer season in other part of the world.
We will update the auto event detection recording solution 4K 30FPS to 4K 10FPS for using less power, while the car in the parking, the 10fps is enough.

We will update the auto event detection recording solution 4K 30FPS to 4K 10FPS for using less power, while the car in the parking, the 10fps is enough.
Nice one. Thanks for the improvements.

I do wish that @viofo will set the motion detection to low bitrate which I believe will be able to lower the power consumption and thus lead to lower heat. Or at least maybe an option for us to decide what bitrate we desire as some might want maximum bitrate lol.

This will be useful for us who are in warm / hot climate especially where i stay and during summer season in other part of the world.
I don't know about the latest beta firmwares, but last time I looked at the motion detection bitrate it was 8 Mbps, so fairly low already, and reducing bitrate does not make much difference to the heat, unless it is the memory card having heat problems. Reducing the frame rate will make a useful difference to the heat.

I don't know about the latest beta firmwares, but last time I looked at the motion detection bitrate it was 8 Mbps, so fairly low already, and reducing bitrate does not make much difference to the heat, unless it is the memory card having heat problems. Reducing the frame rate will make a useful difference to the heat.
Yeap. I think i got the wrong thing. It should be frame rate / fps as per @viofo mentioned above. Thanks for the clarification.

Looking forward for the refined FW.

Hey @minc3,

I think this is happening to my camera too. I have it set to "auto event detection" and after about a minute my camera turns off when parked in the garage and it's cold too. I tried pressing the buttons but the camera is unresponsive/even taking it out of the GPS mount and putting it back in and it won't turn on. I have to actually turn on my car ignition for the camera to turn on again, is that what you are experiencing?

Hey @minc3,

I think this is happening to my camera too. I have it set to "auto event detection" and after about a minute my camera turns off when parked in the garage and it's cold too. I tried pressing the buttons but the camera is unresponsive/even taking it out of the GPS mount and putting it back in and it won't turn on. I have to actually turn on my car ignition for the camera to turn on again, is that what you are experiencing?
Guess that’s the freeze issue happened to some of the PRO owners. The red led on right and left are on and unresponsive to any button clicks.

try flash the FW provided by viofo in this thread

@viofo i noticed some weird behaviour with the PRO in motion detection parking mode when i go through the video clips today.

I parked the car approx 3pm yesterday. Checked the files today approx 3pm (24hrs). I realised that there’re video clips where motions detected throughout the whole night (ie every 20-30 mins) which is expected since the place i parked has moderate traffics (neighbours / cars passing by). It stops approximately after 9am (consider decent hours recorded since I only drive every one or two days).

However when i scrolled to yesterday’s video clips (time after i parked my car), i noticed there’re only recordings after 9pm which i think it is unusual as like what i mentioned above, i parked in a relatively moderate traffic area. So there’s a gap of 6 hours without any motion detected / recorded.

Edit: In fact, I did noticed it some time ago (missing gap of 2 - 3 hours) but did not think twice about it.

Based on the previous occurrences, the missing gap is usually right after i parked.

Regards

Last edited:
is there missing video, or it has been overwritten by the time you checked it?
Nope, I am using a 512gb. Still yet to start looping after storing more than 2.3k of video clips. Lol.

The videos on the day way before the said occurrences still in the micro sd card.

EDIT: no motion / recording as soon as i switched off my engine (according to the last clip) and the next motion detection video is after 9pm. Weird huh. Lol

I thought they may have allocated an allowance for parking videos that are seperate from the regular files, this can cause those to recycle even if the card isn't full

I thought they may have allocated an allowance for parking videos that are seperate from the regular files, this can cause those to recycle even if the card isn't full
Possible but not in my case as those parking videos from the day before and far away from that still in the card.

Parked my car at a high traffic area. Did in fact sat in the car for awhile after checking it switched to parking mode (ie blinking buffering and solid when recording). saw at least two to three event recorded (by looking at the led blinking solid n etc but did not verify by checking sd card).

came back after more than 6 hours (10pm). Checked the recordings and it appears that nothing was written to the sd card as soon as i left my car (including the 2-3 events when i sat in the car) until 8.30pm (5 hours later).

Not a good sign as it used to occur once in a week or two. But now it starts to occur twice in a row.

Switched to low bitrate parking mode and see how is it tonight. Gonna test and see if this happens to motion detection only or the parking mode in general.

Last edited:
Are 512GB cards supported? I have not heard they are officially supported. Maybe try a 256GB or less to test.

Tried low bitrate parking mode last night. Successfully recorded for 16-17hrs of continuous video clips.

Switched back to motion detection and sat in the car for a sort while. It appeared to be failing in detecting motion when cars and people passing by. I waved my Hand in front of the lens and no motion detected. It will only detects when i close the lens with my fingers. weird. Sensitivity level for motion detection has been medium since day one and no issue.

Edit: 512gb sd card looping without any drama.

Changed back to motion detection parking mode. So as expected, motion recordings only started after 3 hours. Ie parked at 3pm, first parking recording at 6.57pm.
ps:- parked at a super busy area.

Since I have confirmed that it only happens to motion detection then i shall leave it to @viofo to address the issue.
Looking forward for the new Firmware.

Back