Buffered Parking Mode with Power Magic Pro

xmen155

Reaction score
Country
Afghanistan
I got the PMP over Viofo's HK3 because it's got a on/off button I can toggle and the ability to set timer/voltage. I was also told by the store that PMP works with most dashcam out there.

I have everything wired, buffered parking mode turned on, and with PMP turned off, my A119V3 turns on/off with the car, as it should. But with the PMP turned on, after shutting off the car, the A119V3 continues to record normally, and not switch to parking mode. Since it's still getting power from the battery, it thinks the car is still on?

Anyone using the A119V3 with PMP and have parking mode working? Or does it have to be paired with Viofo's HK3?

When not using the Viofo 3-wire kit, there will be a delay in entering parking mode. The delay is about 5 minutes, but that relies on the sensor not sensing any motion.

That said, the most reliable way to make use of the A119V3 parking mode, is to use the Viofo 3-wire kit.

When not using the Viofo 3-wire kit, there will be a delay in entering parking mode. The delay is about 5 minutes, but that relies on the sensor not sensing any motion.

That said, the most reliable way to make use of the A119V3 parking mode, is to use the Viofo 3-wire kit.
I like to keep the PMP since it's already installed, has the on/off toggle switch, and saves me from spending more money on the HK3.

I tried locking the car after shutoff, came back after like 15min, and it's still recording like it normally would when you are driving. Note that I turned off screensaver, so the screen is always on. I don't even know how recording in (buffered) parking mode would look like.

Also, if it goes into parking mode by relying on the sensor not sensing any motion, wouldn't it go into parking mode if you idle for too long?

When parking mode is enabled, there will be an icon of a car in the top left corner of the screen. When the camera enters parking mode, then that car icon will change to the icon of the chosen parking mode. For Auto Event Detection, it will change to the icon of a stickman.

Yes, if your idling for a long period of time and the sensor is not picking up any motion, then it can enter parking mode. It would be after at least 5 minutes though. This is another reason to use the appropriate hardwire kit.

FYI, Viofo has stated that you should be using a GPS mount if you plan to use parking mode without the 3-wire kit.

When parking mode is enabled, there will be an icon of a car in the top left corner of the screen. When the camera enters parking mode, then that car icon will change to the icon of the chosen parking mode. For Auto Event Detection, it will change to the icon of a stickman.

Yes, if your idling for a long period of time and the sensor is not picking up any motion, then it can enter parking mode. It would be after at least 5 minutes though. This is another reason to use the appropriate hardwire kit.

FYI, Viofo has stated that you should be using a GPS mount if you plan to use parking mode without the 3-wire kit.
I previously updated to 2.0 firmware. Oddly enough, after I downgraded by to 1.03, parking mode now works. Like you said, with GPS mount, Auto Event Detection on, constant power from PMP (which also controls voltage/time cutoff), it now goes into parking mode with the stickman icon. The LED blinks until a motion/shock is detected. Great.

Here's the next problem. Let say I come back to my car and start it up, while it is already in parking mode, will continue to stay in parking mode with the stickman icon. It will not go back to regular recording mode unless I manually turn off/on the PMP (cutting its power) or when it reaches the voltage/time cutoff (runs out of power). Any idea around this? Thanks

I previously updated to 2.0 firmware. Oddly enough, after I downgraded by to 1.03, parking mode now works. Like you said, with GPS mount, Auto Event Detection on, constant power from PMP (which also controls voltage/time cutoff), it now goes into parking mode with the stickman icon. The LED blinks until a motion/shock is detected. Great.

Here's the next problem. Let say I come back to my car and start it up, while it is already in parking mode, will continue to stay in parking mode with the stickman icon. It will not go back to regular recording mode unless I manually turn off/on the PMP (cutting its power) or when it reaches the voltage/time cutoff (runs out of power). Any idea around this? Thanks
There were two versions of V1.03. I believe the first version had this issue and was sorted in the second version (I think). What is the build version on your V1.03?

There were two versions of V1.03. I believe the first version had this issue and was sorted in the second version (I think). What is the build version on your V1.03?
Sorry, I actually have the 1.02. But I'm not sure how either/any version would fix this? The dashcam is buffering in parking mode, constant power fed. How can it possibly know that I restarted the car? Nevertheless, I'll give 1.03 a try.

Sorry, I actually have the 1.02. But I'm not sure how either/any version would fix this? The dashcam is buffering in parking mode, constant power fed. How can it possibly know that I restarted the car? Nevertheless, I'll give 1.03 a try.
Based on movement.

What? And they did not change the version number?

What? And they did not change the version number?
There was a thread detailing this a few months ago. The thread is "Parking Mode Question" and bad build is 20190924. the good one is 20190911 ( a link to this build is in post 32 of that thread) . It was ds2010 who figured it all out. Viofo were informed about this and may have fixed it in the latest firmware but I am sticking with 20190911 until I am sure or install the HK3 kit.

Last edited:
Updated to v1.03 build 20190911 (today is 1yr anniversary), the dashcam is now entering and exiting parking mode (auto event detection) as it should when using PMP or a constant battery pack. Thanks

As my old Mobius seems to be reaching the end of its life cycle, I'm currently thinking on switching to A119 V3, and would purchase the GPS version. However due to my current wiring (fixed, very discreet installation) it would be much better for me if I could use the USB port in the camera rather than the USB port in the GPS mount to power the camera.

So, my question is: Does the Viofo statement above simply mean the obvious, i.e. you should have a GPS mount (to switch to/from parking mode) if not using the 3-wire kit - or does it mean that the camera should also get its power via the GPS mount in this case (meaning that the parking mode would not work if I don't power the camera via the GPS mount)?

I have a Lukas Power Safety Device protecting the car battery from draining in parking mode, so I would not be purchasing the 3-wire kit...

You can power the camera directly and the GPS will still work. Whether or not Parking Mode will work correctly, I’m not sure. Some users say yes, some say no.

I think that only applies to the three wire parking mode, which isn't an issue here.
No, there are users who are trying to use parking mode without the Viofo 3-wire kit, which should technically work. Some users have had trouble getting the camera to either enter or exit parking mode. Viofo released V2.1 to fix this issue, but some are saying there is still an issue.

Updated to v1.03 build 20190911 (today is 1yr anniversary), the dashcam is now entering and exiting parking mode (auto event detection) as it should when using PMP or a constant battery pack. Thanks
Quoting myself here. Haven't bother updating the firmware since it works. In fact, I remember parking mode not working properly on v2.1.

@ANI As stated in OP, I'm using the PMP, which is similar to yours. The car battery essentially works as an external battery pack that shuts off at a preset voltage level. Without the 3-wire kit (I don't), you will need the GPS mount, because it uses the GPS speed to enter/exit parking mode. IIRC, if your vehicle idles (0km/h) for 5min, it goes into parking mode. When you drive at above 8km/h, it exits parking mode and goes back to normal recording.

@xmen155 What I was trying to find out was if powering the camera via the camera's USB connector (= instead of using the USB connector in the GPS mount) still makes parking mode to operate without problems when not using the 3-wire kit.

(And of course I would use the GPS mount - it's only a question if the parking mode still works if I don't use the GPS mount's USB connector).

Have you happened to try this...?

@ANI I did not try it. Logic tells me that it wouldn't work because, without the 3-wire kit, it needs to know the vehicle speed to enter/exit parking mode. And without the GPS connected, the camera won't know the speed.

Definitely buy the GPS mount version not only for parking mode to work, but also the ease of removing the camera from vehicle.

@ANI I did not try it. Logic tells me that it wouldn't work because, without the 3-wire kit, it needs to know the vehicle speed to enter/exit parking mode. And without the GPS connected, the camera won't know the speed.
The User Manual states that "For GPS version mount, use the female Mini USB port on the mount or on the camera’s side". So my understanding according to the Manual is that one can use either USB port to power the GPS version of the camera.

The reason for my question was the discussion in the forum. I think that it may have implicated, that despite to what the manual states, there may be (or have been - at least in some FW version) a difference concerning if/how the parking mode works in real life without the 3-wire kit...

Back