Buffering in parking mode?

Chazz

Reaction score
Country
United States
In this Youtube interview by Vortex Radar with DOD VP, Andy Wu, at around the 8:45 mark Mr. Wu states that the RC500s buffers 15 seconds before and after motion is detected in parking mode. Anyone confirm that this is current fact, or projected future firmware. In the same interview, he says that the camera enters parking mode after 15 minutes. That seems excessive to me.

I just received a reply from Cecilia Feng of DOD, in response to my inquiry about buffering in parking mode. Here is her response:

"Hello Charles,
Thanks for contacting DOD Tech, Taiwan. My name is Cecilia.
We will release the updated FW before Chinese New Year.
Thanks
Cecilia"

Chinese New Year (the year of the brown earth dog) is February 16th, 2018. So, if they hold to this projection, we can expect this new functionality within the next few weeks.

Actually, my unit has also a functional buffering. The only problem was to use "right" SD card (Samsung's/Kingston's UHS-I U1 card).

Actually, my unit has also a functional buffering. The only problem was to use "right" SD card (Samsung's/Kingston's UHS-I U1 card).
Yes, I had seen your post in another message thread about that. Does your unit provide the full 15 second pre-buffering, and does it take 15 minutes to go from drive mode to parking mode? Your finding is very encouraging! I am getting very close to pulling the trigger on a buy.

Yes, almost everytime it records 15-seconds (1s tolerance) before actual event. Unfortunatelly i didn't measure the time between drive and parking mode and now it's in RMA process because it didn't react to impact(at least not in my perception how it should work - i was jumping on my car and it didn't trigger the recording). After that, i'll let you know.

But as i've said in other thread, according to the local DOD, there are two versions of this cam. Who knows where buy the right one.

Last edited:
...But as i've said in other thread, according to the local DOD, there are two versions of this cam. Who knows where buy the right one.

Sounds like you got the right one, other than for the impact thing. Hope the RMA gets you back to where you should be and doesn't screw up the buffering. :)

I just got another reply from tech support in Taiwan. I was told that, with the soon to be released new firmware, the delay from driving to parking modes will be about 10 minutes, not 15.

I must live in some kind of future because on the DOD webpage they claim there already is 10 minutes timeframe between drive and park mode. :D

Thanks for the link, Nath!

Back