Built Android Dash Cam app

Solarmd

App Developer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Last Spring I was looking for an Android app to use my phone as a dash cam, since I already keep it on my windshield. I wanted it to start recording and navigation at the same time, as directions is what I want to see on the screen while I'm driving.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any that would do that, and being a software developer I created one myself, it's Open Dash Cam. I wanted to share it here, because I believe people on this community may find it useful and I would appreciate any feedback on how to improve. The app is free and open source, so anyone is welcome to contribute to the project!

congrats on your app, not an easy thing to do

you might not get too much feedback as most users here that are looking for apps are looking for something that can play files off the dashcams or interface with wifi models, there may however be some inspiration for you amongst the information here on things that people like to see dashcams do, not always possible on phones as they tend to overheat easily when running these types of programs while stuck in the window, food for thought though

Thank you. Part of the challenge was to optimize the app to use as little resources as possible and I think I was able to achieve some good results. Using the app daily myself (using a magnetic mount on my dash, start and app whenever I drive), but would be good to get some feedback from other users if anyone is interested in trying to see if a mobile app is a viable solution.

The advantage of a mobile app is that it stays updated, and you don't have to bother with manually updating the firmware. Also sharing the videos is super easy, since they are already on the phone.

Mobile dashcam app can be powerful yes, but leaving a phone in the heat trapped environment of a car 24/7 isn't practical for a set it and forget it operation unfortunately. Few people will have the discipline to remove/setup the device every time they park etc. Still nice to see progress in this field though for mobile app options. (congrats) I'm sure better Android-powered camera/hardware options will be made available in the future.

My android devices all use 4.42 not 6.0 or higher.
I have no idea how your app would work

What phone do you use for this application?

It has always been my 1st choice to use my phone as a dashcam, but I never succeeded.

Best apps I ever found are Videoreg from Rubberbigpepper, and DailyRoads.

I never got it right as there is a few things just too difficult to get right.

1) Mount. Never could get it to TOTALLY shake and vibe free, and eis or ois didn't manage that either.

2) AOV. The angle of view of all phones I have ever had aren't wide enough.

3) Night recording. I never had a phone good enough for night recording. The only ones good enough were always the expensive flagships.

4) Long time recording. It's never a good idea to have a phone that's on your dashboard and record hours on end. It might overheat. Besides there's the aspect of power supply, you probably want to power it continuously from your car charger, not good for the overall battery life.

You really would need a phone with an SD card slot, removable (replaceable) battery, as lightweight as possible. The weight or mass of the phone is a major problem, because you need a mount that completely FIXATES / FREEZES the phone's movement preventing it from shaky and vibrating videos.

These are the main reasons why I gave up in 2013 and bought the Mobius. All problems solved. There's a lot of rubbish on the dashcam market, but the good ones aren't expensive either.

So, as much as I like the idea, I need to warn you for taking it up too seriously.

I know phones have better camera's now, but I have Motorola Moto Z Play with a good camera, but still all issues above mentioned are TRUE.

I tried LG 2X, Nexus 5, XIAOMI, Alcatel Idol 4s, and now the Motorola Z Play.

Show me a good enough mount and I'll try again. Besides, with every new phone in my hand, I try again, but every time I get disappointed. Over and over again.

If it works for you, super. I don't think it will be a financial success, but I believe that's not what are aiming for, right?

Have you tried DailyRoads Voyager? It's pretty good, and I don't say something like that very easily....

It can run in the background, as can Videoreg, so you can start navigation too. DailyRoads Voyager can also start automatically at power connect, and Videoreg can start as soon as the car moves...

Just some food for thought.

Oh yeah, both can record and playback maps as you drive.....

Piece.

PS I didn't see the possibility of recording date time info on the video, isn't that what you want btw?

Last Spring I was looking for an Android app to use my phone as a dash cam, since I already keep it on my windshield. I wanted it to start recording and navigation at the same time, as directions is what I want to see on the screen while I'm driving.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any that would do that, and being a software developer I created one myself, it's Open Dash Cam. I wanted to share it here, because I believe people on this community may find it useful and I would appreciate any feedback on how to improve. The app is free and open source, so anyone is welcome to contribute to the project!

Have you tried this one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.camonroad.app
https://camonroad.en.aptoide.com/

Just to let you see why I don't use my phone anymore, here's a couple of videos to compare my Moto Z Play with Autoguard, and my JooVuu X in cinema mode.

Re-viewing this Autoguard clip made me realise it has the video stabilisation feature, which you can see at work when keeping your eye on the dashboard in the bottom part of the video, it seems to be bouncing up and down, while the large view is stable, EIS!!

Truth be told, that in itself is cool, of course!

Have a look at Autoguard in the play store, seems to do all you want?

I just checked what version of Android I have and I have 7 so I'm gonna give your app a test run tomorrow! I'll review it both on here and on the google store for you!
I really want to get a second dashcam for my back window as I was in a collision in my mate's car about a week ago. When I mentioned the dashcam to the driver that hit us, his face dropped and he sheepishly asked if we had one facing out the back. You know what that says to me? He was texting and driving. Evidence like that is VERY hard to fight. So until I get a second dashcam, hopefully your app can provide what I need ;)

Back