BULLETHD BIKER PRO - Problems

@Pier28 Are you still in business?
I can't get to your website, and I don't see much for sale on Amazon anymore.
I was told that there would be a dual camera system available by now also.

@Pier28 has a server problem where a security policy is too strict breaking Chrome connections. (Try Firfox or Safari in the short term)

They do have more Biker Pro Plus in stock and should be sending them to Amazon soon for Prime sale.

I was told by the BulletHD factory the dual channel Biker model is indefinitely on hold at the moment. (no ETA)

@Pier28, I'm hoping you can help me. I'm having a hard time getting hold of anyone from Pier28. I bought the BulletHD Biker Mate from Amazon.ca on 11 May 2016. It worked intermittently but has now completely failed. I've tried everything to fix it. The power is working fine, swapped out cards, re-formatted, reinstalled several times (I use a Transcend 32 GB card) but no luck. Both the red and blue LED lights come on bright and stay on (combined they're sort of a purple colour). Camera is not recording at all. I have the invoice from Amazon if you need it and have also sent an email through the BulletHD.com site (no answer). I'm out of ideas and more than a little disappointed. Any suggestions?

@Pier28, I'm hoping you can help me. I'm having a hard time getting hold of anyone from Pier28. I bought the BulletHD Biker Mate from Amazon.ca on 11 May 2016. It worked intermittently but has now completely failed. I've tried everything to fix it. The power is working fine, swapped out cards, re-formatted, reinstalled several times (I use a Transcend 32 GB card) but no luck. Both the red and blue LED lights come on bright and stay on (combined they're sort of a purple colour). Camera is not recording at all. I have the invoice from Amazon if you need it and have also sent an email through the BulletHD.com site (no answer). I'm out of ideas and more than a little disappointed. Any suggestions?

Send me a private message with your original order number, date of purchase, email, name, and address. I'll see what I can do to help out as my new office isn't that far away from the @Pier28 office.

I bought my Biker pro about a year ago. Never did get it to work properly. went back and forth with Pier 28... they sent me a completely new camera and cables and it still didn't work. Somewhere along the line was told, "Well NO, it doesn't work with all Androids", Of course mine was one that it didn't.
After I offered it for sale and had it sold, then I was offered a refund. By then I was already committed to the sale at about $50 less than what I bought it for..
I find it funny that a year later, the dang thing still isn't perfected.

With so many variations of new/old Android devices out there 100% compatibility is a challenge for developers for sure.

Somewhere along the line was told, "Well NO, it doesn't work with all Androids", Of course mine was one that it didn't.

I've lost count of the number of people that state they don't want a display and just want wifi "to make the device cheaper and more simple to operate" that couldn't be further from the truth unfortunately

Ill take a display any time, as long as it is not the silly large displays seen on some Korean and Chinese cameras, just need it for initial setup and the occasional in camera format.

Ill take a display any time, as long as it is not the silly large displays seen on some Korean and Chinese cameras, just need it for initial setup and the occasional in camera format.
I totally agree. I bought the Biker Mate without WIFI or a display and it does exactly what I want (when it worked...that said a replacement one is on the way....Thanks Robert Yost!). I just need to know it's working and I'm good.

hello,

So I have had this on my bike all summer, and it usually starts, but then when I arrive at my destination it is usually frozen, red eyes on, no blinking light on camera lens, just a solid red light. during the day the battery runs out and it turns off, and repeats on the way home, records for a while then craps out. Jon sent me a new optical cable, this did not change anything, I have given up and decided to just let it be, so it records sometimes for and hour, other times for 10 mins. I now have removed it from my bike and am going to test it inside, as I think it may be a power issue, as when it was on my bike in the drive way it works fine, records for a long time, no issues, however when I ride, it acts up. I am thinking its a power wire getting bumped or pinched as the wires are bundled up under the seat and maybe are disconnecting momentarily as I hit a bump and this is confusing the camera and it locks up.

Thats all fine, I can test inside, in my car etc... to see if I can get it working 100% the problem I have is I can not upgrade the firmware, I follow the directions and when I put the freshly formatted card, with the bin file on into the camera and turn on, it just starts recording, when I look at the card, the bin file is gone, and the usual settings file and the folder DCMI is there with the new recording. I check the settings file and the old firmware showing BP2016030901

How can I get it to take the new firmware? I want to make sure I have the latest and greatest firmware on it before I spend too much time trouble shooting it, and this thing not taking the firmware as directed does not give me confidence that its working properly, so exploring the power theory I have may be a waste of time.

Please help, anyone have this issue, its like it is ignoring the file on the SD card and just recording as normal, I tried editing the settings to default=1 to flush the current settings, used SD formatter and repeated this step over 10 times. everytime, it just turns on, beeps 3 times, and starts recording, when I pop the SD into my PC, firmware file gone and the old settings file and video folder are there.

I have a dashcam in my car, and rely on it, so I want my bike one to be just as reliable, so far it is not. The bikes away for winter now, and I purchased some go-pro mounting stuff, and I want to mount the biker Pro as a rear facing camera inside my car, this way I can test it and see if I can get it to work properly over winter, before I re-install it on my bike (if it works as it should).. I really want this to work as the picture is great quality, weather proof, etc... I REALLY want this to work, but am almost ready to give up and get a different one.

You might have a unit that needs a helper boot loader file to perform the firmware update. I'll try to find it and get back to you.

Here is a troubleshooting guide I've sent out in the past.

1) Firmware settings are in an unstable condition.

In the settings.txt file change
DEFAULT_SETTING = 0
to
DEFAULT_SETTING = 1

Re-insert card, power on, and it will flush out the system. Try running it in the default state without changing anything but wifi name for several days

2) You could have a intermittent HDMI video cable. We can send anther one if needed. (this "usually" fixes the stuck solid red eyes)

3) Your power supply could be intermittently under powered. I've seen replaced power supplies fix similar behaviors. if you have an external USB power bank you can bypass your power supply and test with that.

Also you should only have 1 camera per power supply. We are finding that customers that use one power supply to power two units have unstable results. (Don't charge a phone on the second USB port for example)

4) running any of the wires too close to spark plug wires can cause instability. Customers rerouted wires to the other side of the bike with success.

5) using red/grey SanDisk cards are not supported. Transcend is best. 32GB is the most stable.

6) if you still have issues you can download the Biker Mate firmware, rename the bin file to be the same as the Biker Pro firmware and flash that. You'll lose wifi but recording will be stable.

Wow, thanks Street Guardian, I will try it tonight. I seem to have tried the settings to default fix a few times and still same issue.

Update: So last night at home on the couch, I was testing the camera with a 2A USB powerpack, and it only ever recorded for no more than 10 mins before it locked up, and this is with it not moving, just sitting on the table, so I think I can rule out my theory of bumps or connections getting jarred from riding, as it was motionless, and still froze up on me.

So I am looking forward to testing this bootloader bin file to see if I can reset and flash the thing with the newest firmware and perhaps flush out the bug that has made my camera unstable. If I have to I would flash it with the regular firmware and loose wi-fi, so thats a step I can try as well, if I still have issues with the latest PRO firmware. I am using a trancsend 32GB card as well as recommended. I am on my second HDMI cable as well (original was replaced by Jon from Pier28 with a shorter one - same ends just shorter)

I will post my results.

Thank you for your support, as others have said, support for this is second to none for online ordered gadgets and stuff. Much appreciated..

If I have to I would flash it with the regular firmware and loose wi-fi, so thats a step I can try as well, if I still have issues with the latest PRO firmware. I am using a trancsend 32GB card as well as recommended. I am on my second HDMI cable as well (original was replaced by Jon from Pier28 with a shorter one - same ends just shorter)

I will post my results.

Thank you for your support, as others have said, support for this is second to none for online ordered gadgets and stuff. Much appreciated..

This is the same Jon but I no longer work for Pier28. @Calgary Dash Camera - Robert can help you get a replacement Biker Pro camera in Canada if needed.

Pier 28 helped me out quickly with my Biker Mate unit by sending me a new one. After reading about similar issues I'm pretty sure the problem was the cable. I'm assuming/hoping that when they sent me a new unit it was with the new V2 cable. In any case my dealings with BulletHD were much less successful. They had me try a bunch of things, none of which worked and then they basically threw up their hands and just said sorry. Deal directly with Pier 28 if you can and save yourself some frustration.

Update: So Thanks for the bootloader file Jon, it seemed to work, as I was able to get the newest firmware on my camera, and so far so good, I have it installed in my car as a rear facing camera, and its recorded the last 10 car rides 100% ( I have not checked the recordings, but hear it turn on and off) one drive was over an hour and it beeped like it should when I stopped, so I assume it recorded the whole time, as before it would lock up, and make no beeps when I turn off the power. I will pull the SD card some time in the next few days and see if all the recordings are there. But I am hopeful that its working properly now. I am going to leave it in my car this winter, and reinstall it on my Sportster in the spring if all goes well. I will update here again with my results.

I must say I am liking the idea of a rear facing camera as well, so I might have to get another mobius (tiny camera that can be used as a dashcam - I have facing forward for three years now and works great) for the rear of my car, as it will record idiots behind me, and be evidence of a rear end collision (of which I have been rear ended twice in the last two years)

Thanks for your help Jon.

Back