Bumped car

Bluenose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 622GW
Someone bumped into my car on a car park yesterday and I am wondering why my camera didn't kick-in and record an event or at least catch it in Parking Mode which is set to 6 hours but, having looked at the video it doesn't seem to record in parking mode for anything like 6 hours.

The one time that I need some evidence and nothing happens!

Anyone have any ideas please.

Last edited:
Please check if your g-sensor is activated?

I find that a good practice to get into if you want to use G-sensor is to tap the camera with your finger when setting up the camera and adjusting the sensitivity. That way you can get a feel for exactly how much of an impact is needed to trigger the sensor. I've noticed over time that different cameras are more or less G-force sensitive depending on the brand and the user needs to get to know the camera before you can rely on the feature. Of course, you have to remember to turn the feature on in the first place. :)

Please check if your g-sensor is activated?
Yes it was activated but I can't remember what setting it was on as I have altered it since having a look at the video. I think that it was on 'low' but can't be sure. What setting is best so that it records small impacts?
I thought that when I looked at the in-car screen it did show two items, there was a zero against the top item and a 1 against the bottom one but I can't remember if it referred to the 'G sensor'

Any thoughts on why the parking setting isn't recording for any length of time?

Thanks for your help

Not saving bumping was probably due to too low g-sensor value. Best way to see which g-sensor settings value suits personally is like @Dashmellow noted - to tap dashcam with different force.

By the way how heavy and in which place (front, rear, sides?) was your car bumped?

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

The G-Sensor can be a tricky feature. I happen to live on a dirt road that can be very bumpy certain times of year and so I always have to set the camera to the lowest G-Force setting, otherwise I'll get a whole folder of locked files. One camera I owned would always trigger every time I closed the car door but it was a good test of what might happen if the car was bumped in a parking lot.

Tapping the camera to test the G-sensor will definitely works but our advice is to trying closing your car door. The reason is when you tap the camera, the kind of shock is directly applied to X2; however, when you close the door, it is the actual shock that is transferred from the car to the camera. So, it will create a more realistic scenario similar to someone / something bumped into your car.

You can use different kind of force to close your door and see how sensitive you should set the G-shock sensor. This is what we advise our customers.

Tapping the camera to test the G-sensor will definitely works but our advice is to trying closing your car door. The reason is when you tap the camera, the kind of shock is directly applied to X2; however, when you close the door, it is the actual shock that is transferred from the car to the camera. So, it will create a more realistic scenario similar to someone / something bumped into your car.

You can use different kind of force to close your door and see how sensitive you should set the G-shock sensor. This is what we advise our customers.

Makes sense.

I believe that the X2 feature set includes Parking mode, which records 4-5 seconds before motion is detected, & for 13-15 seconds after motion is “gone”. Each camera records motion detection footage separately. For example, if there is a motion detection in front of the car, it only saves video file from front camera.

This being so, the G Sensor issue is secondary to why the pre-buffered motion detection failed to record the incident.

Someone bumped into my car on a car park yesterday and I am wondering why my camera didn't kick-in and record an event or at least catch it in Parking Mode which is set to 6 hours but, having looked at the video it doesn't seem to record in parking mode for anything like 6 hours.

The one time that I need some evidence and nothing happens!

Anyone have any ideas please.

I believe that the X2 feature set includes Parking mode, which records 4-5 seconds before motion is detected, & for 13-15 seconds after motion is “gone”. Each camera records motion detection footage separately. For example, if there is a motion detection in front of the car, it only saves video file from front camera.

This being so, the G Sensor issue is secondary to why the pre-buffered motion detection failed to record the incident.

Not sure I understand how the parking mode can record 4-5 seconds before motion is detected, how could it know that there is going to be motion? Or are you saying that it will save/protect the parking video from 4 to 5 seconds before the motion is detected and then about 15 seconds after it?

I'm still not sure why I only have a few minutes of parking video when the camera is set to 6 hours.

Not sure I understand how the parking mode can record 4-5 seconds before motion is detected, how could it know that there is going to be motion? Or are you saying that it will save/protect the parking video from 4 to 5 seconds before the motion is detected and then about 15 seconds after it?

I'm still not sure why I only have a few minutes of parking video when the camera is set to 6 hours.

it constantly buffers to memory before writing to card, if there's an event it takes the content of the buffer as the starting point which will be around 5 seconds prior to whatever triggers the event and will continue for around 15 seconds after that

Can anyone answer my query regarding the 'Parking Mode' please. It is set to '6 Hours' but when I look at the video there are just two files on the card in the parking folder.

To give a bit more detail, I arrived at my destination at just after 2pm and didn't leave until about 6.50pm. The files on the memory card shows the following :-
23/02/2017 14.02 109490kb
23/02/2017 14.05 18962kb

and that is all that is on there in respect of parking mode.

I would have thought that with the setting on 6 hours there would be loads of data available. Is something wrong with the camera, or have I done something wrong myself.

Thanks again for all the input.

Well I have now updated my X2 to the latest firmware, thanks to all who helped me get there.

I'm please to say that at the moment it seems to be recording properly again whilst the car is parked.

Interestingly, the dealer collected my car today to take it in for some work to be done on it. Whilst in their possession the camera is showing 8 'Events' but after looking at them all I cannot see anything untoward.

Any thoughts anyone?

Back