Bus vs Cyclist Investigated

adselrecom

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Having a look at this video where a bus run a cyclist off the road

but there there might be more to it

Safer to drive car

I think the bus driver is at fault, but I’m not a big fan of cyclist. “Sharing the road” doesn’t work very well when they’re doing 25MPH in a 45MPH zone. Even 15MPH in a 25MPH zone is pretty agonizing when you’re stuck behind them.

My favorite is when there is a dedicated bicycle lane yet they choose to cycle in the traffic lane.

Other things I find annoying about bicyclists:
  • Riding on the shoulder, but then abruptly moving to the traffic lane without any indication forcing cars to dodge them.
  • Blowing through stop signs and stop lights.
  • Most of them seem to think their safety is the car driver’s responsibility. A car driver is definitely going to be cited if they hit the bicyclist, but you would think bicyclists would do everything in their power to not be hit. It would be nice if they rode defensively.

but there there might be more to it
The bus driver should have made sure that he could overtake safely before attempting to do so, which he clearly failed to do.

But this is the UK, and the law does say that the cyclist should not do anything to hinder a vehicle that is overtaking, so the cyclist should have let the bus complete the overtake without riding back up alongside and banging on the windows, once the bus was in front it had the right to use its brakes.

It is not entirely clear from the video if the bus did get fully in front, I think it probably did, the camera lens is not particularly wide angle, so makes it look like the cyclist is further forward than reality when viewed by people used to dashcam video, it certainly got its rear wheels well passed the cyclist, and at that point the cyclist should have accepted that the bus was going to pull back in and it did not make sense to argue about the last few mm.

It is clear that this is a cyclist who owns the road and will stop for nobody, not even the red traffic light he flew through at the start of the video, where the other bike had stopped. This is definitely not a good example of how to ride a bicycle under UK traffic laws, and if he had been injured and tried to take the bus driver to court, the court would put a significant amount of the blame on the cyclist.

I always say to be careful what you ask for because you just might get it, only to find out it wasn't what you wanted :eek: When the majority of cyclists refuse to follow the rules of the road (as they usually do where I live) then scream when someone else doing the same thing in a motor vehicle impedes or injures them, then they can expect the problem to be addressed by the elected government restricting the cyclists, for they certainly won't get re-elected trying to restrict motor vehicles which have a thousand voters for each cyclist vote :cautious: In a free society if you cannot or will not control yourself to the standards of that society, then that society will take steps to control you for the good of their society in general :cool: Cyclists would do well to understand that they are creating the answer they aren't going to want to have ;)

Phil

Back