Button-press for File protection...?

Update to my last comment....
I've updated my G1W-S and the M button does save the files (Brilliant ) BUT.... once i was setting my menu the way i like note to save files with the M button the G sensor must be on low (minimum) or it dosent work, no big deal i just thought i'd share what i found.

Yes you have! I wasn't on here to see your comments yesterday but glad you sorted the firmware update... I just put the .bin file on a 2gb card and put it in the camera whilst still in the car, it does the rest itself. then you have to reset everything to your liking!

I haven't touched my G-sensor settings though, even now I don't know what its set to, but the file save (M) works fine so I'm happy!

Only thing I'm not pleased about is the Viofo logo has been replaced with a generic welcome/goodbye logo :(

Did you get a GPS module for yours yet, I know not everyone wants speed and coordinates on their footage but I like stuff like that, got a cheap Chinese one for mine, it's quite cool looking at journeys on mapping software

I hadn't noticed the logo change. I'll check tomorrow. The only other thing I've noticed is a longer delay before recording starts but it's only about 3 seconds... I can live with that.
The gps module tbh I'm not bothered about. I'd rather have decent quality video and audio and it is alot better at night than my g1wc.

Last edited:
hi do I just copy the bin file to my card and put it in my camera to up grade the firmware, sorry never done this before

If you google it viofo have done a step by step process. But this is just for the G1W-S. Not for any other variance of g1w camera. Bascally you format the sd card. Drag the .bin file onto it. The put it in the camera ( powered down ) then turn it on ( it was plugged into my laptop ) and wait about 60 seconds. Then it comes back on. Once it has you need to format the sd card again so the .bin file isn't there anymore or it will put the firmware on every time it turns on. Then test the camera. This is what I did.

Russelluk has the G1W-s :)

I don't even know if my firmware update is the same as that one, Viofo (forum member) gave me a link to his stored file as opposed to the Romanian site link where yours is from, but they could well be the same

But yeah @Russelluk just put the FW96650.bin file onto a BLANK memory card, put it into your cam and then power your cam, make sure the cam stays powered, so either with your car running, or plug it in to the wall using a mini-usb phone charger lead, it'll do the rest itself

(I always use a little memory card to do firmware updates so there's no chance of me accidentally leaving the .bin file on the 32gb card I use for recording)

ok so I copied and pasted the file well I think I did as you can not open it on my laptop, straight on to my formatted sd card, placed it in the camera that was turned off, then turned on, and the camera just acted normal and started to record as if nothing has been done? so it did not do the up dates. anyone got a link to a video as it looks like I am doing something wrong

Are you sure it's not done it. Make sure the g sensor is on and then do a test recording and press the M button. It does just boot up as if normal when finished. If it has worked don't forget to delete the file from he sd card

just rechecked no function to change date format to dd/mm/yy or KPH to MPH with gps.

Ah sorry. My issue was the M button. It sorted that. As for the others I can't answer.

what version does you camera say mine says G1WS_ V1.1_ 0119

Only thing I'm not pleased about is the Viofo logo has been replaced with a generic welcome/goodbye logo :(

Oh you poor thing you............. Im yet to find out what my new Viofo A119s V2 says but I would prefer Gidday/Seeya

ok managed to do something tried it with another card, so the hello and welcome screen in green as now appeared, but that's it, still says same version in the menu, also not change to date format, and no options to change to KPM to MPH.

ok managed to do something tried it with another card, so the hello and welcome screen in green as now appeared, but that's it, still says same version in the menu, also not change to date format, and no options to change to KPM to MPH.
Version # didn't change and they haven't added the MPH option yet. I confirmed this with Viofo a few days ago.

ok cheers, I've managed to alter the date now as well. so far all is good apart from the MPH. I hope that can come later.

I never had issues with date and time settings even from day one. They'd said earlier in this thread that MPH hadn't been sorted out with this firmware and that it'll possibly come later.

Oh you poor thing you............. Im yet to find out what my new Viofo A119s V2 says but I would prefer Gidday/Seeya

Customiseable would be great, My welcome could be "S'up, dog?" and then shut down could be "Well f*** you, then"! :D

Back