Buttons stuck? No action in the button press. [update: likely caused from hot battery expanding]

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone have this issue? This happened before after I thought maybe it got too hot in my car but now it happened again when it wasn't even hot. The first time it just seemed to fix itself but now it hasn't. The buttons work but there is no action or "press" in the buttons they just feel stuck.

I took a video of it but I work for 6 more hours so I can upload it when I get home.

It's very strange. I might have to take it apart and see if something shifted inside. Don't think I've dropped it anytime recently it's just been in my car.

Before you take other action, please do below,
  1. Format your SD car inside camera,
  2. Fresh the FW.
Just do it, and keep update.

Does your dash cam have a "Reset" hole on the back of the device?
If you have it, use a needle to insert into and then try to press the "on" button again.

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday. I thought it was too hot and that something inside melted. It's weird that it happened cuz I just left it in the car and didn't touch it. I took it apart and everything seems fine, buttons are working. No idea what happened.

Sorry guys I haven't had a chance to get to my PC or update you. I haven't tried anything yet since last posting but I'll get to it tonight.

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday. I thought it was too hot and that something inside melted. It's weird that it happened cuz I just left it in the car and didn't touch it. I took it apart and everything seems fine, buttons are working. No idea what happened.

Do not need to worry about the case is too hot.
One of reason to make aluminum case is about heat conduction.
Thermal conductivity material inside case well contacted the chips and aluminum case, all heat has been well conducted to case.
So even the case is hot, but all are good inside.

Last edited:
so I just got home and uploaded my video footage... and the video quality is all screwed up. i actually noticed this issue starting a few weeks ago, and I assumed it may have been from bad lighting. i tried reinstalling the firmware and clicking the reset button but that doesnt change the quality, and the buttons are still stuck. i guess i am going to have to try taking it apart and see if the insides shifted from a jolt or something.

ill check back here once i do that.

actually i dont think i can take it apart since the C2 lens is glued in and needs to be removed to take the front plate off.... hmmmmm

this is what the video looks like now in all my videos the past few days.... this is an unlisted video FYI so its not publicly listed.

i just dont get why the buttons started to have issues at the same time the picture started to go bad.

Sucks since Rock just recently sent an L shaped cable for me to test out! arg!

I think I have dropped it once... but that was quite some time ago... I dunno what could have caused it.

The video is unusual.

Let's review into details,
  1. The button stuck and bag picture only came out after testing the L shape cable, right?
  2. Now even you do not use L shape cable, but the above two problems could not disappear, right?
That may happen between the two PCB connection as the attached photo.
I will do further study and keep update.

_MG_7185.jpg

no i havent gotten the L cable yet. i noticed the picture going bad few weeks ago actually but i thought it was just from poor lighting and it was very minor.

the buttons got stuck last week once but after awhile it was fine.

whats funny is now the buttons work ok and it had just been sitting on my desk, i didnt do anything to it, but now they click down fine.

but the video is still weird like the video i uploaded.

I think I'm 99% sure what's the problem with the buttons. I took apart my camera yesterday and at first I didn't really pay attention, but now it dawned on me! The problem is the battery. The battery bubbled up a lot!
The battery is very tightly sealed in some plastic/aluminum tape. Well guess what, the battery was really INFLATED. In my case I'm sure it's because of extreme hot temperature. So instead of being flat, it became almost round...
So there you go...The battery expands (rather air/gas inside the enclosure) and it pushes against the board of the camera, which in turns pushes against the metal case...
So when it cools down, it contracts somewhat and they work just fine once again.

no i havent gotten the L cable yet. i noticed the picture going bad few weeks ago actually but i thought it was just from poor lighting and it was very minor.

the buttons got stuck last week once but after awhile it was fine.

whats funny is now the buttons work ok and it had just been sitting on my desk, i didnt do anything to it, but now they click down fine.

but the video is still weird like the video i uploaded.

Take the camera apart and chech the battery and disconnect the lens and main PCB, and re connected to see what happen.

I think I'm 99% sure what's the problem with the buttons. I took apart my camera yesterday and at first I didn't really pay attention, but now it dawned on me! The problem is the battery. The battery bubbled up a lot!
The battery is very tightly sealed in some plastic/aluminum tape. Well guess what, the battery was really INFLATED. In my case I'm sure it's because of extreme hot temperature. So instead of being flat, it became almost round...
So there you go...The battery expands (rather air/gas inside the enclosure) and it pushes against the board of the camera, which in turns pushes against the metal case...
So when it cools down, it contracts somewhat and they work just fine once again.

Good findings!

Do you need us to send you the new battery?

Do you think I need it? Right now I connected the camera directly to the power source in my car. Seems to be recording.

Back