Buy Now or Wait For F800 "Pro" Version?

Ontarian

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A119S
I've been deliberating between buying the F800 now or waiting until the release of the Pro/Cloud/F900 version. Until today, my main reasons for waiting were to see whether or not the new version would revert to a stealthier unit without all the chrome and if it might accept a 128GB card. The ability to monitor via the cloud has no great appeal to me.

Today, however, I noticed that bestbuy.ca is offering the F800 for $349.99 CAD, $100 CAD off their regular price. A 22% reduction on a new item is very tempting, and I wonder whether I'd be foolish not to grab one at this price. Any thoughts on the matter? Is the stealthier look and (possibly) larger card capacity really worth $100? Are there any other known features of the new version that would make it worth waiting for?

if there's $100 off already means the margin is there, no doubt you'd still find a deal on one at a later time

I finally got out of google to do a search. (Amazing how you get hooked). And found this with another search engine. Scroll down on the page to read about the air feature.
https://m.clove.co.uk/thinkware-dash-cam-f800
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, the factors I'm most interested in aren't answered ("Micro SD supported - maximum size TBC") or even addressed (eliminating all the chrome). On the other hand, it does appear from this link that those who purchase one now will be able to match the air specs through a free software upgrade.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, the factors I'm most interested in aren't answered ("Micro SD supported - maximum size TBC") or even addressed (eliminating all the chrome). On the other hand, it does appear from this link that those who purchase one now will be able to match the air specs through a free software upgrade.

The chrome is still on the lens, and 64GB is tops on Micro SD

I've been deliberating between buying the F800 now or waiting until the release of the Pro/Cloud/F900 version. Until today, my main reasons for waiting were to see whether or not the new version would revert to a stealthier unit without all the chrome and if it might accept a 128GB card. The ability to monitor via the cloud has no great appeal to me.

Today, however, I noticed that bestbuy.ca is offering the F800 for $349.99 CAD, $100 CAD off their regular price. A 22% reduction on a new item is very tempting, and I wonder whether I'd be foolish not to grab one at this price. Any thoughts on the matter? Is the stealthier look and (possibly) larger card capacity really worth $100? Are there any other known features of the new version that would make it worth waiting for?

I would buy one and try it out. It is a very nice camera. You won't know until you try.

Chances is that the F800 and F800 pro will be very similar in terms of specs and performance (I.e., most people will not notice the difference).

I would buy one and try it out. It is a very nice camera. You won't know until you try.

Chances is that the F800 and F800 pro will be very similar in terms of specs and performance (I.e., most people will not notice the difference).
Thanks for the comment. A couple of days ago I was leaning that way, but now that Thinkware has published the specs for the F800 Pro (http://www.thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/F800PRO), I think that I'll wait for the Pro. The 128GB card capacity, the energy saving parking mode and the elimination of the chrome tip the scales in its favour for me, depending on what the price difference will be. The Thinkware Canadian site still doesn't show it, but hopefully soon.

I am guessing it might cost an additional 50 to $100 for the "Pro" model.

The Thinkware F800 Pro camera has been released to the US and is priced at $279.99 for the front camera. We we're notified by Thinkware that although the camera is available, and we at DashCam Bros are carrying the camera, the cloud features are still not available yet, but will be made available via a firmware upgrade from Thinkware within a month or two.

Back