BV900-2CH with B124 Power Magic Ultra Battery

WhateverBear

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all. Not sure if there is an obvious answer to this but haven’t seen any posts regarding this.

I just got the BV 900 and ultra battery installed in my car on Wednesday. Every time I check the battery level on the app, it shows 99%, which sounds wrong. I’m at work for 9 hours a day and come back to a 99% battery level (I don’t drive my car during lunch either).

Is this an app issue? Installation issue??

Exit out of the app to force another Scan of the battery.

If it's still at 99%, it's wired to a constant power source or maybe reinstall the app?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Exit out of the app to force another Scan of the battery.

If it's still at 99%, it's wired to a constant power source or maybe reinstall the app?

Yeah I did exit the app and scan (multiple times) and even reinstalled the app.

I’m not a car/dash cam expert but that’s what I thought, the installation guy might’ve hooked it up to my car battery. My boyfriend took my car in and said the guy seemed pretty knowledgeable about dash cams.

Hopefully they’re open tomorrow...

I found the hard way. That just because they seem to know. Doesn’t mean they do.
One of my installs.. the guy put both wires from a powermagic Pro.. to the same constant wire. That right there is like... seriously?
If you can. Print the installation instructions.. and take it with you.

Also, does it show a voltage reading on the input when the car is off? That's a dead giveaway it's miswired.

38115f296cf8b240ca3eed5b9b46744d.jpg

Last edited:
I found the hard way. That just because they seem to know. Doesn’t mean they do.
One of my installs.. the guy put both wires from a powermagic Pro.. to the same constant wire. That right there is like... seriously?
If you can. Print the installation instructions.. and take it with you.

Haha I guess I found out the hard way too...

The user manual should suffice for instructions right?

Also, does it show a voltage reading on the input when the car is off? That's a dead giveaway it's miswired.

I’m going to have to check that...

Just my luck, the installation place is closed until Wednesday... Do you think waiting until Weds to get it changed is going to be harmful for my car or the BV battery? I have a brand new car (4 months old). I don’t want to have to pay for the fix but I also don’t want to have to pay for a new car battery..

72EE6D65-1AEB-45BB-9D4D-97F85875D4B6.png

Went down to my car and this is what it’s showing. I’ve been parked for about 2 hours now (in a garage) ...

Bear, that looks weird! The dashcam should be drawing some amperage. Unless maybe you have parking mode/motion detection disabled?

Also, if it really isn't drawing any current...your new car battery should be fine.

Last edited:
Bear, that looks weird! The dashcam should be drawing some amperage. Unless maybe you have parking mode/motion detection disabled?

Also, if it really isn't drawing any current...your new car battery should be fine.

Thanks Tfp, you’ve been a big help.
I see parking mode is on (posting pictures after this). The battery is the same as yesterday. But I did realize that the cam didn’t catch any videos all night. I was sitting in my car and turning on WiFi and viewing the app and I heard the cam say “parking mode on” and I didn’t see the recording LED light up.

My educated guess is that the installation guy didn’t hook the ultra battery to the camera correctly? So even though parking mode is enabled it is not getting the juice to perform that option when it’s parked.

Let me know if this sounds correct.

739C430A-A549-4769-AA7F-0AC18A35CB09.png
E1C44F47-4F0E-4D3D-822C-3906AA519099.png

Attachments

• 3DF94C84-C157-40F6-AE49-3D69791D89AD.png
    3DF94C84-C157-40F6-AE49-3D69791D89AD.png
    824.1 KB · Views: 8
  • D2713C8F-91CD-4D26-998B-DB53399A884C.png
    D2713C8F-91CD-4D26-998B-DB53399A884C.png
    627.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 302E494A-E423-44A9-A238-D92FE1CC0393.png
    302E494A-E423-44A9-A238-D92FE1CC0393.png
    646.6 KB · Views: 7
Ms. Bear,
It's so strange that it's not drawing current.

Installing and wiring the b124 is super easy. The dashcam can only connect to the cig adapter port.

I know it's a stretch, but maybe try updating to a newer firmware like the 1.004?

Alright, downloaded the new firmware, about to go down and put the SD in my cam. Already contacted the installation guy and headed over to him afterwards if this doesn’t work.

Okay so I guess I’m visiting the installation guy.

Inserted the SD, waited for the reboot, cam said it started “normal recording.” Waited for a couple minutes for the parking mode to be enabled, battery still in the same mode (Not in use, 100%). Came back to the battery app and now it’s at 58%, declining a steady 1% a second. Once the cam stated “parking mode on,” battery still declines at the same pace but the recording LED light isn’t blinking anymore. While typing this in my car (couple minutes) hear the cam “powering down.” Battery officially at 0%.

Thanks Tfp! You’ve been a big help! Hopefully it’s just bad installation and not an issue with the actual cam/battery.

Battery drained in 4 min

Attachments

• 07AED094-1FEE-4FC6-937B-3A7D1446972F.png
    07AED094-1FEE-4FC6-937B-3A7D1446972F.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 2891CCF4-587D-454E-986A-D394C846A5ED.png
    2891CCF4-587D-454E-986A-D394C846A5ED.png
  • 88A6EDC4-5B25-4DD6-9D71-267B6047B389.png
    88A6EDC4-5B25-4DD6-9D71-267B6047B389.png
You know what, you were right Tfp.

It dawned on me as I left for the shop that maybe the firmware not being updated was causing issues with the battery. Assuming the battery was just dead (the app showed steady decrease of battery until 0%), I would have to charge it and do another test run. Since I had to drive regardless and I told the installation guy I’d be there, drove to the shop, parked and turned off the engine.

The app showed the charging status during the drive. After I parked it started showing discharging status. Waited for the parking mode to be enabled and recording LED is still on!

Thanks again TFP!!

How is your battery holding up now?

I've decided to order one, so should be here in a couple of days.

Do you have yours in motion detection or time lapse mode?

I'm just wondering what the file size is like for time lapse, and whether time lapse has any impact on the battery (less power - lasting longer)?

I've got my DR900S-2ch set to Extreme mode, so I'm probably going to go for time lapse with impact detection.
That way I can still see if anyone is walking round and not just impact, but also get the improved heat management with time lapse, rather than standard video in park mode.

Awesome bear! It's either a miswired install or possibly a bad battery (which I doubt).

Make sure your installer properly grounded the ground wire and has the Power wire connected to a source that is switched with accessory on. That's basically it.

Also perhaps there is a short somewhere along the way.

Any updates Ms. Bear?

Back