BW1 Doesn't start recording

simmiv

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,
Just got a new BW1 Dashcam and have installed it according to the manual. It started ok with wifi on and after connecting to it I changed the wifi name and password. I then connected again with it and made some minor config changes i.e. date/time, 1 to 5 minutes.. Sensor sensitivity low to middle.. The software version seems to be up to date v1.06.180528s with wifi on. It seemed to work fine, but then intermittently it began not turning on properly. When given power, the green light comes on permanently, but is a bit dim. No voice or ping. removing and reinstalling power it occasionally comes on normally i.e. green light on and flashing with the voice announcement sd card detected and recording started. Is this turn on with the dim green light on constantly a known issue? I was wondering if I reflash the firmware again! Any advice welcome, otherwise I'd have to return the thing..
Simmi

Tagging @estore009 for some official advice here. It seems to me that this might be a power problem. Are you using the supplied PS and cables, or a recommended hardwire kit?

Phil

When given power, the green light comes on permanently, but is a bit dim. No voice or ping. removing and reinstalling power it occasionally comes on normally i.e. green light on and flashing with the voice announcement sd card detected and recording started
It should be bricked now and will PM you this reset firmware

Is this turn on with the dim green light on constantly a known issue
You should use supplied car charger to power on this camera.

The camera is powered via the supplied 12v adapter. I've used couple of memory cards and it has behaved the same way. i.e. when starting the vehicle the green light comes on, but is dim and nothing happens. If you unplug the power and remove/insert the memory card a couple of times and then reinsert the power it may come good i.e. strong green light, voice announcing it has detected an SD card and announcing it has begun recording. estore009 sent me a pm with instructions and I followed them. When I apply power via a USB cable the green light comes on bright constantly.

If you unplug the power and remove/insert the memory card a couple of times and then reinsert the power it may come good i.e. strong green light, voice announcing it has detected an SD card and announcing it has begun recording.
It happens if its memory card has a broken section. suggest that you test your memory card with the tool T2testw!
When I apply power via a USB cable the green light comes on bright constantly
If led light is always on, it indicates that the camera cannot detect memory card!

Hi, I have done a bit of testing on this camera. If I use a USB cable and connect it with the computer, it starts without fail and begins recording. I´ve done it now a few times in a row and it works all the time. I also took out the microsd card and put it back in and it started again without fail. Using the supplied adapter it doesn´t work properly, it seems to turn on as the blue light comes on, but it is dim. Could the voltage from the supplied power adaptor be too low? Is the pinout for the power as is standard for a usb powered device? I´m assuming so as it starts automatically recording when connected to a USB port on the computer..

Odd, this camera should not start recording if you plug into computer USB socket!
Anyway, please PM me your shipping address, and we send you a USB car charger!

I have a similar problem.

Most times it detects the card and starts recording.
Occasionally it will not detect the card and I have to flick the camera with my finger or pull the 12v adapter.
Also get a "slow card" message at least once a week.
Currently using a Transcend Premium 400x 64GB card.

I have had no issues with this card:
Samsung 64GB 100MB/s (U3)
$15.99 US amazon.com

Hi, I have done a bit of testing on this camera. If I use a USB cable and connect it with the computer, it starts without fail and begins recording. I´ve done it now a few times in a row and it works all the time. I also took out the microsd card and put it back in and it started again without fail. Using the supplied adapter it doesn´t work properly, it seems to turn on as the blue light comes on, but it is dim. Could the voltage from the supplied power adaptor be too low? Is the pinout for the power as is standard for a usb powered device? I´m assuming so as it starts automatically recording when connected to a USB port on the computer..

@simmiv, did you have any fix for this? If @estore009, sent you a new adapter, did it work? I have the same exact issue as you. In that it powers on with all computers and USB chargers I've tested it with, but does nothing but display a dull green light on the supplied one the majority of the time. As you mention, it seems like it's not outputting the right amount of power.

It will turn on when connected to a computer, although not record as expected of this model.

It's not the car itself as I previously had a G1W-C which powered on fine. Also tried other SD cards too, same issue. Using the latest firmware as well.

@Drak - If you still have the G1W-C PS, try it. Both are essentially the same. All USB type systems are 5V with the same wiring layout, but dashcams like having 1.5A available which computer and car ports may not supply.

I've had more trouble with PS's than any other aspect of my many dashcams; it seems most of the factory-supplied ones on less expensive cams either die or fade away in time due to low build quality. For anyone wanting ciggie-plug power for their cams, I highly recommend getting an Anker or Scosche adapter and Monoprice cabling. Look for ones rated at 2A+, more for those with multiple USB ports. Avoid "CCA" cabling. Do this and the PS and cable will usually outlast the cam and be good for the next one too.

Phil

Unfortunately, I gave my G1W-C to a family member living in another country. I would have loved to test it using the G1W-C's power supply, but that's not an option for me now.

@Drak You can give it a try with your USB Wall Charger for iPhone or Samsung phone if you test it in your home! Its camera should start recording when you plug it into your 5V USB Wall Charger!

@estore009, Yes, it works fine when using a USB Wall Charger or plugging it into my laptop. No issues there.

Yes, it works fine when using a USB Wall Charger or plugging it into my laptop. No issues there.
So please ask the seller to send you a new USB Car Charger!

Thanks, I've already contacted them but still awaiting their response.

While waiting, I did a search if anyone else had similar issues and @simmiv seems to being having the exact same issue.

Though I would not try this with any other cam, the B1W has so little current draw that even a cheap ciggie adapter and cheap cable would probably work long enough to get you through until you can get a new PS. Cost only a couple bucks, and if it doesn't work with the cam give it to a friend to charge their phone with. Won't work with most cams but might work here.

Phil

I'll do that. If the supplier does send me a replacement, it'll be good to have a backup as well.

Not sure if the same issue but my dashcam was not able to auto start recording even was saying that card was detected and recording started but after few seconds instead getting blinking LED I heard sound (two beeps repeating by some time).

In my case flashing newer firmware with WiFi default disabled fixed issue (WiFi default enabled didn't fixed issue).

Back