By way of introduction...

Fact

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you DASHCAMTALK and all the users who have supplied a wealth of information. There is so much to know about motorcycle video capturing, but I'm hopeful that if a dummy like me can make a start of it, then it is possible. Three years ago I stumbled onto what you all refer to as a "Chinese" dual camera system for which I knew nothing about accept how to install it. I made the mistakes of, running the rear cam at 25 FPS and the front cam at 30 FPS, I did not process any clips but stored them over the years. I did not know anything about the technical stuff of video/audio. Three months ago I decided it was time to make something of these 10,000 + clips and it was then that my ignorance really shone.

The movies I was able to make helped get my head around the five road trips I made and they revealed many other aspects of the road and my riding habits, that come next season, (I live in cold weather climate), I will be better prepared for the rides and the eventual situations that come with the road. I think dual camera systems not only help in the event of an accident but they help riders learn about being better riders. From the movies I made I can see that I made way too many turn-arounds. I need to be a better planner. Also, I knew my riding style was a tad bit on the aggressive end of the scale and from the movie's rear camera, I can see that perhaps I'm a too aggressive. I'll be more careful on those lane changes in the future.

The camera systems of today are way better than the one I had, and if I'm marginally careful about choosing the new camera system, it will be sufficient. I'm willing to spend some money but I want a return on that expense.

Again, thanks for the interest in capturing your rides. It's more than entertainment--it's educational as well.

The above comments pertain to action camera systems for motorcycles.

Last edited:
Which dashcam do you have? I have the Blueskysea 988 front and rear on our 3 wheeled Arcimoto. I found that I was able to review the clips to see how well my son is driving as he has autism and has very specific routes that his is currently allowed to drive. I have no idea of what FPS it is set at, but find it good enough. I think the visual perception through the camera lens is different than actual real life as it is a bit of a fisheye lens, so things in the video look maybe closer than they really are? Ours is mainly used as a backup camera but because the LCD is alway on and set to the rear, you can always see what's behind you. I also have a VIOFO A119 front dash on the car. I checked some of the video on it. I use a mac so with Preview and Final Cut Pro I can view and edit pretty easily. If we ever drive around again and our town is filled with university students, I was hoping to showcase the abominable driving that takes place. We have lots of red light runners, people that drive super aggressive, drivers that cut off others, etc.

Which dashcam do you have? I have the Blueskysea 988 front and rear on our 3 wheeled Arcimoto. I found that I was able to review the clips to see how well my son is driving as he has autism and has very specific routes that his is currently allowed to drive. I have no idea of what FPS it is set at, but find it good enough. I think the visual perception through the camera lens is different than actual real life as it is a bit of a fisheye lens, so things in the video look maybe closer than they really are? Ours is mainly used as a backup camera but because the LCD is alway on and set to the rear, you can always see what's behind you. I also have a VIOFO A119 front dash on the car. I checked some of the video on it. I use a mac so with Preview and Final Cut Pro I can view and edit pretty easily. If we ever drive around again and our town is filled with university students, I was hoping to showcase the abominable driving that takes place. We have lots of red light runners, people that drive super aggressive, drivers that cut off others, etc.
harriska2, I had an action cam, VGSION dual cam system, which off of Amazon cost me around $120. I have removed it and am looking to replace it with a more suitable system. Your son is functionally autistic and able to cruise around. Smart move on your part to monitor and review his experience. If you are inspecting your captured clips in an editor the likes of Preview and Final Cut, then you have bridged the gap between having a clip and using a clip. One of this site's pillars of camera systems selection is camera discretion. This is also one of mine--I don't want the camera overly visible to others. If you are planning to share your video, you will need to consider to some degree, depending on your target audience, the video quality, duration, and file size. You will also have some time and resources in organizing and storing your clips and projects. If you go internet with the clips, you will have to agree to the site's terms. Let me know what you come up with. Currently, I'm still learning both ends of this process: the capturing and the processing. The public shared viewing is an unexplored aspect for me. Oh, my camera system is for a motorcycle. Sorry if I forgot to mention that. I'll edit my post to include this bit of information.

Oh, and good luck on moving your city council to enforce traffic laws. If you are feeling up to it, better to upscale your vision to encompass the campus as a whole with respect to traffic. I work and live near a campus and I'm telling you traffic comes at you from all directions and all types. No amount lines and signs can deal with it. It comes down to rider/driver awareness. I floated the idea of a "Vulnerable Vehicle" zone to bring to the attention of all who enter the campus traffic areas that there is foot traffic, scooters, skate boards, mopeds, motorcycles, side-by-sides, (if it has wheels, it will be on or near campus) and what have you to be on the lookout for. My approach was more in the line of public awareness similar to how we have changed about road-side repairs and construction zones. We slow down and wake up, eh. The idea sank in the waters I sailed'er.

Last edited:
Yup, our Blueskysea 988 is on a 3 wheeled motorcycle. Ours has a full windshield so the camera is pretty well hidden. But I put the read camera on a custom made bracket that is pretty prominent. I'm not really all that worried about individual privacy mostly because none of my cameras are 4k so they can't read license plates nor show faces clearly.

Back