C lens design fault?

alan philp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a C lens for my original Mobius as I was delighted with the results from buying a second Mobius with the C lens already fitted.

I ordered from ebay-eletoponline365 and it took a few weeks as usual (China to UK) but after removing the undamaged packaging I noticed a crack at the focus grub screw. eletoponline wants me to send it back for them to check and are trying to tell me it must have happened during shipping as “We test items carefully before sending out”. They are also haggling over the return shipping and will supply accessories to the value or I have to send it with the cheapest possible shipping and they will refund up to £3.80

Out of interest I opened up my newer Mobius and was shocked to see a similar crack. This was also purchased from eletoponline. I have been looking at some ebay pics and found it hard to find any of this newer C lens screw, but in the last image below you can just about see a crack in the plastic.

Should I even be worried about this? Is it a common issue or maybe just a bad batch?

New C lens
image.jpg

Mobius with C lens
image.jpg

Ebay image
image.jpg

So the replacement(s) might be the same or even develop the same fault at some point? I couldn’t find any posts relating to the damage, but loads about going out of focus… is this what’s causing it?

they used to use a metal lens base and for whatever reason I'm not sure they changed to a fibre reinforced plastic lens base, maybe as a weight saving thing for the RC crowd, not sure, while it might have some advantages it does seem to come with some disadvantages as well, no idea if they intend to change it again but it's rather unfortunate as it was otherwise probably the best option at the price point, kind of hard to recommend for vehicle use with this current hardware, no word yet on what (if anything) they are doing about it

Thanks for the info

I though the issue with the newer base was down to the metal plate on the module warping as it heats up? I can’t see any posts relating to cracks on the case.

I suppose I could repair it with small lateral cuts and epoxy?

first report I've seen of cracks, I don't think I'd attempt a repair myself but if you're going to otherwise replace it perhaps not a lot to lose

most complaints have been around focus issues with heat and the grub screw not working as intended in the FRP material

Last edited:
The previous c lens mobius seems to have been working fine and returning the new lens will be more trouble than it’s worth… especially if they send something similar back.

I will do some testing with the new lens and see how it goes. I already use super caps and little heat sinks attached with artic silver epoxy so it will hopefully be enough to keep the temps down. If I need to adjust the focus and the screw doesn’t work I will try some Araldite :)

image.jpg

Where did you get the little heatsink...it looks good.

Thanks for the links guy's I'll check them out.

Back