C3 vs SJ1000 vs Sj4000 (motorbike)

diedekaas

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hello everyone,

I would like to start experimenting with a cam for when i'm riding my motorbike. As i'm not getting into motovlogging or some other kind of serious filming, I don't want an expensive camera like a GoPro or a Drift. I narrowed the options down to three camera's: the Innovv C3, the SJ1000, the SJ4000 and the M10. From what I've seen, they all seem to give a comparable image quality, but of course the C3 has got the external mic, which means I could mount that near the exhaust to hopefully get some cool engine noise on the vid. The downside is its pricetag, though. What do you think would be the best option for me?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I would like to start experimenting with a cam for when i'm riding my motorbike. As i'm not getting into motovlogging or some other kind of serious filming, I don't want an expensive camera like a GoPro or a Drift. I narrowed the options down to three camera's: the Innovv C3, the SJ1000 and the SJ4000. From what I've seen, they all seem to give a comparable image quality, but of course the C3 has got the external mic, which means I could mount that near the exhaust to hopefully get some cool engine noise on the vid. The downside is its pricetag, though. What do you think would be the best option for me?

Thanks in advance
Add in the SJCAM M10 which is just an SJ4000 in a better size and with a better user interface

Edit: I see you just added it.

Last edited:
If i dont remember too badly then the microfone on the C3 use the same plug as you will use to power it if its a capasitor version like mine, so to take advantage of the external mic you will have to use the battery C3

As kamkar1 said, you can not use external mic if you're planning to connect C3 to external power source.
Also, if you want to capture the exhaust note, what you need to to is to try to cut down the wind noise, NOT to mount the mic close to the exhaust tip.
The best you can do is to use external mic, and mount it where it does not get the direct wind blast (such as inside of tank bag, inside of full face helmet. One of the reasons that Ghost (Drift) is popular among moto-vloggers is because it is very easy to do "mic inside of chin bar" set up.)
What kind of bike do you ride? And what type of video do you have in your mind? Where and how are you going to mount the camera ? (all these things play roll when choosing the system.)

Hmm, okay. I am not really planning on making any long videos, so an external power source wouldn't be necessary. My bike is a Honda SS50 (I know, it's officially a moped, but bike sounds cooler) and I'm probably going to mount the cam on the fuel tank. My helmet is not a full face one and I don't think I'll ever record my own voice while riding. It would be nice if the camera recorded mostly engine noise.

Thanks in advance

hehe well down there i am sure that 50 ccm bike is allowed to go faster then the 30 km/h thats the max here.

The onbord microfone of the C3 is pretty sensetive, but on a bike i am sure wind will be most of what it will pick up.
If you have the recorder unit in a pocket in the jacket it should pick up the exaust just fine, doing the same myself ( walking and driving my car ) there have been no problem for the mic to pick up voice and other audio around me.
On the bike if you have the recording unit under the seat or where the tool kit is it should allso pick up the surrounding sounds fine.

So the C3 would be the best as far as engine sound recording goes? The problem I have with the C3 is the whole snake camera thing. A lens directly attached to the body would be a better solution in my opinion. Or would it be possible to attach a mic to the C2?

Well the others go inside a waterproof housing, witch will dampen the microfone some, but offcourse so will the cover do if you hide the main unit of the C3 where the tool kit is on the little honda.
But at least it will then be closer to the exaust, where the others will sit all the way up on the handlebars.

I was thinking if the lens could be mounted below the headlight, then the wire could go between the tank and frame to the compartment with the tools, then when you go for a drive all you have to do is open that compartment ( witch i thing is done tool free ) and then plug the main recorder into the wire from the camera.
That way the camera on the wire will allways be on the bike, and you just bring the recorder part with you to get footage off memory card and recharge battery for your next drive.

I dont think there is a seperate mic for the C2, and i am not sure if the C3 microfone can be used on the C2. ( i dont think so )

Just throwing ideas out there.
I am not sure if that compartment with the tools on the little bike is water / rain proof, or can be made to be like that.
The C3 main unit still need to be kept dry.

Your main issue will be vibration. The SJCAM SJ4000 (not the M10) has two doors included with the waterproof case. One has openings to allow sound in; it's not waterproof with that door yet you will hear the engine better. It also includes almost every mount you could ever need and a few pieces of mounting tape, Velcro, etc. The GoPro mounts work with the SJ and batteries are easy to swap so you can keep extras on you to extend recording time.

What makes the C3 nice is the ability to place it inside your helmet to truly conceal it and not have to remove the camera when parked. Ask yourself how you will use the camera, if it will be used off your bike, underwater? List those and that will help you determine which is best for you

I'm probably not going to use it all that often. I think i'll go for the SJ4000, which hopefully records a bit of engine noise and not just wind. If I'm going to use it more often or am really disappointed with the sound quality, I might hardwire an external mic onto it and put that under the seat.

Safest two places to buy are FoxOffer and GearBest, there are a ton of clones out there. Those two sell the real cameras. For a few bucks more, go with the WiFi version, it makes it much easier to aim rather than trying to see that tiny screen. GearBest has a coupon code, PM @GearBest if you need it.

Another thing that plays big roll is your video editing tool.
First, take a look at this video (done by me, years ago.) You will get the idea of how much exhaust note can be captured by internal microphone. (And how much wind noise it would pick up. I used two cameras for this, Contour and Go Pro)

You can manipulate the sound a little bit in editing stage (or , cover up with BGM).

If you want to learn more about wind noise reduction, watch this guys video.

The latest example (by me) of how you can control wind noise.

Two cameras used. Ghost HD with external microphone with faux, mic sensitivity at the lowest setting, and Mobius with nothing done to cut down the wind noise.

Back