C30 stops recording

Ron O

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am trying to record for 45 minutes to 1 hour and my camera stops recording after it generates a 4 gig file. I am using 1080p60, loop recording off, gyro off, auto shut-off is off, etc. There is still plenty of space on my sd card (class 10 SanDisk Pixtor), and plenty of battery left. The camera just stops after generating a file of about 4 gigs (about 25 minutes of recording) and doesn't start a new file to continue recording. SD card was formatted in the camera before use. Defective camera????

Defective camera????

no, 4GB is a file size limitation of the FAT32 file system

if you want longer files leave loop on and just export and join the files together as one afterwards, can do that without re-encoding the files

On my other action cameras (SJ cam, etc) if you leave loop recording off, the camera will automatically start a new file before it reaches the 4gb limit and keep recording until the card is full, the battery is dead, or you hit "stop record" on the camera. Are you stating that the SooCoo C30 will not do this?

some cameras will start a new file when they hit the file size limit, plenty don't, some that do start a new file lose a few seconds when they start a new file, using the loop function you will get a continuous recording but it will be made of smaller individual files (think of it like chapters on a DVD movie) which can easily be made back into a single file anyway and you don't lose anything, much less risk of losing anything due to file corruption also

I checked the instruction manual for the C30 and it clearly states that the camera "will continue recording until the battery is exhausted" if loop recording is turned off. It seems to be hit and miss with this camera. I have done some tests and sometimes it does keep recording in segments of about 3 gb, while other times it stops when the file size hits 4gb. Your suggestion to use loop recording is reasonable, just wanted to understand the inconsistencies in the way this camera operates.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SOOCOO Official SOOCOO 0
Back