Cabin/passenger camera pulling double duty

Not every solution requires you to succumb to your smart phone addiction, Nigel.
Always use the best tool available for the job; smartphones make good inclinometers. tablets can be even better for measuring larger items.

A famous American once said " we are not about to send American boys 9 - 10.000 miles away from home to do a job Asian boys ought to be doing for themselves"
Just in case, that was LBJ.
My version is " i am not sending anyone dashcam shopping spending hundreds of dollars before that person know what he is doing"

Last edited:
Always use the best tool available for the job; smartphones make good inclinometers. tablets can be even better for measuring larger items.

You can use fancy electronics to measure the angle if you prefer, but why use a $700 plus smartphone when a simple swing arm protractor and a small spirit level will do everything one needs?

Better actually than bothering with a smartphone or a tablet in certain ways as it provides a real world physical reference you don't get with a screen.

Smartphones and calculators can be wonderful but I teach kids to actually use their brains. Comes in handy. ;)

protractor.jpg

level.jpg

Yes using the front camera as a cabin camera are not a good idea, at least if you want to mount it in the best possible place as that will probably mean the mirror are in the way.
Also the front camera have no IR aid like the dedicated interior camera, so at night the footage will be too dark unless you drive in a part of town with a higher level of ambient light at night.
It is also a waste of the front cameras 1440p resolution, that should be used on the road ahead.
Agree.

You can use fancy electronics to measure the angle if you prefer, but why use a $700 plus smartphone when a simple swing arm protractor and a small spirit level will do everything one needs?

Better actually than bothering with a smartphone or a tablet in certain ways as it provides a real world physical reference you don't get with a screen.

Smartphones and calculators can be wonderful but I teach kids to actually use their brains. Comes in handy. ;)

View attachment 56183

View attachment 56182
And why use a calculator when you could use a slide rule with its “real world physical reference“? A smartphone with a good calculator app is better than both options!

To be fair I don't have a protractor or a small spirit level, like most people though I do have a smartphone, neither method is wrong, use what you have to get the job done

And why use a calculator when you could use a slide rule with its “real world physical reference“? A smartphone with a good calculator app is better than both options!

You know Nigel, yesterday evening, I merely made a friendly, innocuous remark suggesting that one could also use a protractor to measure the angle. (with a smiley face emoji, no less)

You could use a cheap plastic protractor too! :happy:

It was a comment that most everyone else would have simply let go at face value. But no Nigel, here you are yet once again as you do repeatedly in response to so many of my posts, engaging in a gratuitous, petty, extended, supercilious and pointless pissing match with me over literally nothing! The last time you did this you carried it on for several days! I'm really sick and tired of it. It is a form of trolling as far as I am concerned. You need to cut it out once and for all or I will ask @DashCamMan to intervene.

well i was only confirmed in my assumption what a protractor was when i saw the picture, while my English are okay some technical words / names for stuff are all new to me.
This problem get even more pronounced if we jump to the German language,Swedish are better as i read quite a few of their car magazines as a teen, so at least in the car DPT i am okay with Swedish.

I was aware that post was aimed at bringing the sides of my mouth up, so no fuss. :)

To be fair I don't have a protractor or a small spirit level, like most people though I do have a smartphone, neither method is wrong, use what you have to get the job done

Many people do have a protractor. I have one that I use in my graphic design studio and it is often the tool of choice over an electronic protractor when working with paper based projects. I use smartphone/tablet apps elsewhere. But I never said one was "wrong" and another "right".

Actually, I sometimes use a carpenter's angle finder. I have a beautiful brass and rosewood one in my shop. I often enjoy physical tools or calculations done with paper and pencil over calculators and apps. Some of my professional carpenter friends are now using digital angle finders which would likely be the perfect tool for the job in question in this thread. Best of both worlds. :happy:

anglefinder.jpg

e_anglefinder.jpeg

Meh- could use an electronic angle-finder like I use for crown molding cuts at corners. Only accurate to 0.05 degrees though so might not be good enough for dashcam aiming :ROFLMAO:

I see Dashmellow beat me to posting about this :rolleyes:

Phil

Back