Cable assignment of the cable for the rear cam

Lurkee

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hey,
after 2 hours of carefully putting the rear cable under the plastic covers I had to realize... the cable was too short.
It wouldn't be such a problem if the faulty cable extension I ordered wouldn't have destroyed the pins in the rear cable USB.

Well, I'd like to avoid the work of installing a new cable so I wanted to solder the rear cable to the faulty extension cable.
After cutting the rear cable I've been surprised by 6 cables as to my expected 5 cables.
Colors: Red, Black, White, Green, Blue and Pink (I think)

Does any one know what the sixth cable is for? And did they use the right colors (e.g. red is plus, black is minus,...)?

you didn't get a faulty extension, you got a 5 pin extension and you tried to connect it to a 10 pin connector

you need a new cable, it's not going to work

yeah the 8M cable would be better by the sounds of it, in a lot of vehicles though it's because people try running the cable along the floor instead of through the roof

you didn't get a faulty extension, you got a 5 pin extension and you tried to connect it to a 10 pin connector

you need a new cable, it's not going to work

Oh damn, **** me. Do the 10 pin connectors have a name? I know Viofo sells them on their page, but I'd like to know how I can find this kind of cables.
Do the wrong amount of pins really destroy the pins tho? As far as I am concerned Mini-USB should fit into each other despite different kind of wirings.

yeah the 8M cable would be better by the sounds of it, in a lot of vehicles though it's because people try running the cable along the floor instead of through the roof

Yea, that's exactly what I did. Unfortunatelly the manual for workshops for my car is a software which doesn't work on more modern computers...
I didn't want to destroy anything (not really keen with cars) so I just opened up the plastic covers a little bit and slipped the cables through.

it's a 10 pin mini USB connector, save yourself the grief, admit defeat, and buy a replacement cable (8M if you need to run it via the floor), you're only going to make things worse if you try patching something together, even if you got it to work it's going to be prone to interference

it's a 10 pin mini USB connector, save yourself the grief, admit defeat, and buy a replacement cable (8M if you need to run it via the floor), you're only going to make things worse if you try patching something together, even if you got it to work it's going to be prone to interference

No, it's really only for educational purposes. I'd like to know how these cables are called so I know they exist and I can find them.
If I wanted to solder it with another cable I'd need a 10 pin cable which I would have to buy... so I can just buy the 8m cable right away.

Probably explains why that rear cable is so thick as well!

I had the same problem. The exit was to buy another cable 8 meters directly by viofo online store.

Enviado de meu FRD-L19 usando o Tapatalk

Hey,
after 2 hours of carefully putting the rear cable under the plastic covers I had to realize... the cable was too short.
It wouldn't be such a problem if the faulty cable extension I ordered wouldn't have destroyed the pins in the rear cable USB.

Well, I'd like to avoid the work of installing a new cable so I wanted to solder the rear cable to the faulty extension cable.
After cutting the rear cable I've been surprised by 6 cables as to my expected 5 cables.
Colors: Red, Black, White, Green, Blue and Pink (I think)

Does any one know what the sixth cable is for? And did they use the right colors (e.g. red is plus, black is minus,...)?

The cable too short? Hell, I had so much excess, I was jamming it into the headliner. What type of vehicle are you hardwiring? I'd guess it's more likely you didn't wire things properly than it is the cable is too short.

I've seen cables being ran in SUV's via Youtube that had more than sufficient length.

Ah, alright. That explains the lack of results I've faced while looking for one.
Thanks for your help, jokiin!

What vehicle are you trying to wire? There shouldn't be a Sedan or SUV on the market where the stock cable isn't long enough to reach from the front windshield (Front Camera) to the rear windshield (Rear Camera). Are you trying to wire a stretch limo? Again, photos of vehicle + route you took might be beneficial to post so we can offer advice.

You'd be surprised. Given the ups, down, twists and turns, the stock 6m cable wasn't long enough for my Mini Clubman. It took well over 6' of cable just to get it through the door, out the wiring conduit (which brings it outside the vehicle), and then back into the passenger compartment. Then there was the whole run back to front to the camera... The 8m certainly has plenty of slack, but it was required in my case.

My SUV headliner is 11' straight down the center, but I can't run a cable straight down the middle due to sunroof, 2 drop down entertainment screens (2nd row and 3rd row), air vents/ducts, and temp sensors for the automatic climate controls.

Running it to the side, then rearward, then back to the center rear window would take 15-16', not counting if you have a lot of side curtain airbags needing to work around/avoid.

Then if you run the cable through the rubber boot going into the hatch/liftgate to attach the camera to the glass, or just leave a loop of slack so when the rear hatch/liftgate opens, the 6 meter cable will be very close.

I ordered the 8 meter cable before I even installed my camera. I'd rather have a few extra feet then not enough. I didn't want any possible interference with my XM radio antenna or remote key fob, etc. and ran my cable to the passenger A pillar, then down to kick panel and underneath the door rocker panels to the back, then back up the D pillars at the rear.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When planning a new rear cam install always check and carefully measure the planned rear cam cable routing before buying to be sure things will go as planned. A lot of new cars have side airbags which makes this point very important to determine ahead of time ;) If it's going to be close best to buy the longer cable with the cam and run it from the beginning to avoid the hassle of doing the job twice. If even the longest cable may not reach confirm with the seller ahead of time that you can return the cam for a full refund if it doesn't work out for you, as this isn't normally considered a warranty-resolved issue so they are not obligated to do a refund otherwise.

Phil

Back