Cable not long enough

Robertdempsey

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Camera: blueskysea b1w
Car: Mazda 3 2016

Hi, first post to this fourm..

Got the new camera yesterday everything works great however due to the 12v socket in the Mazda located under the arm rest the 3.5 power cable does not reach (if I try to hide the wire)

I'm trying to work out what the best solution would be.
My thoughts are...

. 12v socket extender
. Longer (might be 4m + micro USB)
. Two USB with cable joiner

So, what would you guys recommend?
Also, I've attached two images of my spare 12v USB adapters. Do I need to be careful using these with a USB cable instead of the included cable?
They say the output power is 5v 2.1a
Sorry for all the questions guys

Hope someone call help

Thanks
Rob

Attachments

• IMG_20181125_171000.jpg
    IMG_20181125_171000.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20181125_170945.jpg
    IMG_20181125_170945.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 19
The B1W doesn't seem to be fussy about power, and doesn't use very much.

Probably easiest to use a USB extension cable.

Electrically, it is better to use a 12v extension because that wont affect the voltage that the B1W receives whereas a USB extension will loose a bit of voltage.

Best solution would be to install a hardwire kit, but that depends on your expertise in electrics.

I was finding it hard to find a USB cable longer than 3.5 meters.

The B1W doesn't seem to be fussy about power, and doesn't use very much.

Probably easiest to use a USB extension cable.

Electrically, it is better to use a 12v extension because that wont affect the voltage that the B1W receives whereas a USB extension will loose a bit of voltage.

Best solution would be to install a hardwire kit, but that depends on your expertise in electrics.

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

I'm not good with electronics so looking for a simple solution.

I was concerned about using an adapter (the ones I took a photo of and attached to the original post) that was "too powerful" for the dash cam and break it. Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

I'm not good with electronics so looking for a simple solution.

I was concerned about using an adapter (the ones I took a photo of and attached to the original post) that was "too powerful" for the dash cam and break it. Should I be concerned about this?
Too powerful is not an issue, the camera will only take the power it wants.

Try to get an extension cable that is not excessively long, and preferably one designed for "charging" (carrying power) with thicker conductors. Long thin cables may loose too much voltage, unlikely with the B1W though.

Too powerful is not an issue, the camera will only take the power it wants.

Try to get an extension cable that is not excessively long, and preferably one designed for "charging" (carrying power) with thicker conductors. Long thin cables may loose too much voltage, unlikely with the B1W though.

I will do that and report back!

Thanks again for your time.

Back