Cadillac to offer factory installed dash cam

Max record time is 25 minutes before overwriting... Why? If you put a big card in it should fill it before overwriting...

It's a start in the right direction but has severely limited functionality.

The Surround Vision Recorder will record either a front or a rear view while driving, not both, though the driver can change the view on the fly. The driver also has to enable the system, or select the system to operate by default upon start-up.

One thing the aftermarket has on Cadillac's system is location and GPS functionality. The Surround Vision Recorder will not include such information.

Additionally, footage captured with the system is most easily viewed inside the car on the infotainment screen. The owner must remove the SD card from trunk to play the footage on another device. The system will also record from either side of the vehicle if the alarm system is enabled and the alarm sounds. The side-mirror cameras will not record while driving.

the bad thing about OEM systems is they very often fall short of expectations of more experienced users, the good thing though is that they introduce the concept of cameras to an audience that has quite often never thought about them so it's a good thing for raising product awareness

Would be more appealing to offer an AV or HDMI input for your own cam so as to make it swapable/upgradeable. It wouldn’t be too hard.

it's a lot harder actually

It may be “easier” to integrate/hardwire their own cam. That’s not what I’m arguing. I’m saying that it wouldn’t be too hard for them to add a multimedia interface or ports to plug a cam into (similar to USB inputs for audio). They many not want to do so for a whole host of reasons, but it’s not difficult to do.

I’m speaking from experience as I’ve personally retrofitted my own car to do this. I seamlessly added 4 AV inputs to my factory nav/multimedia screen. And not only did I add a whole host of other amazing and rich features (like phone mirroring, tv/audio/video features, etc) but I did so while retaining every single OEM software/hardware features and functions. Even the service manager at the dealership was blown away. All in, cost me less than $1k and less than 2 hours. And if I ever want to swap out/upgrade parts at any point, it’s as easy as un/plug and play. Believe me, it wouldn’t haven’t been hard for a manufacturer to have offered it as an option to begin with. And judging by the responses I’ve gotten from those who’ve seen my diy, they probably would make a mint offering it as a factory option.

multimedia interfaces are no issue, you can buy off the shelf interfaces for lots of vehicles, when you talk about recording those via those interfaces though that is not so straightforward

multimedia interfaces are no issue, you can buy off the shelf interfaces for lots of vehicles, when you talk about recording those via those interfaces though that is not so straightforward

Wouldn’t need to record “via those interfaces”. The dashcam will do the the recording.

As I stated originally: “Would be more appealing to offer an AV or HDMI input for your own cam“.

Wouldn’t need to record “via those interfaces”. The dashcam will do the the recording.

As I stated originally: “Would be more appealing to offer an AV or HDMI input for your own cam“.

when we have remote cameras there's an interface needed to pass the digital data stream back to the recorder to be encoded, you can't just do that via HDMI (AV can only support SD resolutions so that's not even an option), to send via HDMI it would need to be encoded first so your effectively just using the video out function of a recorder, it's not going to interface to your own cameras, the plugs etc are no issue bit what you would like to do isn't really feasible, there's more to it then you might expect, as I said, it's a lot harder than it seems

when we have remote cameras there's an interface needed to pass the digital data stream back to the recorder to be encoded, you can't just do that via HDMI (AV can only support SD resolutions so that's not even an option), to send via HDMI it would need to be encoded first so your effectively just using the video out function of a recorder, it's not going to interface to your own cameras, the plugs etc are no issue bit what you would like to do isn't really feasible, there's more to it then you might expect, as I said, it's a lot harder than it seems

So, you’re saying today’s dash cam manufactures can’t replicate with ease what 5 year old GoPros have been doing for years?

that's just video out, it's still being recorded by the GoPro

Lol. Are you even paying attention or do you just like to mindlessly argue for argument’s sake?

That’s the point I’ve been making all along!!

You’re hilarious.

Lol. Are you even paying attention or do you just like to mindlessly argue for argument’s sake?

That’s the point I’ve been making all along!!

You’re hilarious.

the car has built in recording and a bunch of remote camera, you said
Would be more appealing to offer an AV or HDMI input for your own cam so as to make it swapable/upgradeable. It wouldn’t be too hard.
sorry if this wasn't clear to me but there's nothing about swappable/uprgradeable that sounded like you just want to use their monitor and nothing to do with the original built in recording system, what you want to do can be done with most cars with a display already, don't need to wait for the 2019 caddy

the car has built in recording and a bunch of remote camera, you said

sorry if this wasn't clear to me but there's nothing about swappable/uprgradeable that sounded like you just want to use their monitor and nothing to do with the original built in recording system, what you want to do can be done with most cars with a display already, don't need to wait for the 2019 caddy

Fair enough. I can see how my original post could be misinterpreted in the context of the thread.

What I’m saying ... to draw an analogy ... is don’t build in a cassette, CD or MP3 player that’ll be outdated in a few years with better tech. Simply build an input for me to me to seemlessly intergrate my own device, whatever that may be, which in 2018 is streaming devices (iPhone and AppleTV in my case). Sure that may go against the manufacturer’s master plan for obsolescence, but the after-market will inevitably offer some kind of amenable solution and they’ll take the dollars you could have had you offered the option to begin with.

Years ago, when I was choosing options for my car, I thought long and hard about a $3k option that would have added a night vision/ir camera to the front of my car. While I eventually decided against it, I appreciated the option. I can add that kind of camera now with far better tech through my diy interface, and for a fraction of the price at that, but I had to create extra steps in order to make that possible. If the manufacturer had simply offered factory inputs to make that possible - which it could have done without much difficulty - I would have ordered it without thinking twice, not only because it would have been cheaper but also future-proof.

So, my message remains the same for car manufactures today when it comes to dash cams: it would be more appealing to offer an AV or HDMI input for your own cam(s) so as to make it swapable/upgradeable (not to mention cheaper). Just like I turned down the expensive and now-outdated night vision/ir camera years ago, I would also turn down any sort of built-in dash cam offered today. The only exception I can think of would be the extraordinary and highly advanced 360 surround view system that BMW offers (which it currently limits usage for its parking system).

Yeah I get where you're coming from (now) and agree with your thinking, things like more input options probably will come at some stage from the OEM's but for now that is something that the aftermarket suppliers are servicing, new features take a long time to get adopted by vehicle manufacturers

The Joovuu X cam can also record on its memory card while displaying the video via the HDMI.
So if new cars multimedia units have a HDMI in i see no reason why you should not be able to do that, only problem being that you will probably have to do the switching to and from the HDMI manual, not aware if it can do it auto like reversing cameras.
It might work for ON, but then when the camera are running and displaying, if you want to do something else with the headunit you will have to switch manual.

I really like to replace my semi broken headunit ( no touch screen anymore ) but thats way down the list of things i would like at the moment, i actually dont use it much in my car anymore.

Back