California, Is having a Dash Cam legal?

thinkcat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Joovuu X
Hi everyone,

<I'm in So Cal, and if this question has been asked and answered before, please forgive me.>

My neighbor is really pissed off at me for having a dashcam in my truck :rolleyes:.
I always had a dashcam for the past 2+ years (recently upgraded to a 2 channel). This neighbor is new to our complex (moved in a month back)., and when one day while I was in my truck about to go to work, he stopped me and wanted me to remove my (home security camera overlooking the common area to my front door). I said I won't he threatened me and told me he'd smash it. That's when I told him this conversation is being recorded as well (truck dashcam), and he got even more mad and told me that I am breaking the law (??) and called me all sorts of stuff and that he's going to call the cops. I said sure why not, but I have to go now, so I left.

So now I have a few questions.
1. Am I breaking the law by having a dashcam? (after that crazy incident (last Friday), I printed a note and kept it in the dash of my truck, saying this truck is recording 24/7 :rolleyes:.)
2. Is having a home security camera overlooking the common area of my house illegal (the camera itself is installed inside the house, inside the kitchen window, but looking outwards).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Your neighbor is a nut, I'd be more worried about him damaging your truck or cameras thinking he has the 'right' to do so,....since he thinks they are illegal.
If you're breaking the law with a dashcam, you have plenty of company.

there can be some dashcam legality issues with audio in some states (one party or two party), video though is legal, there may be restrictions if you enter a military installation though

there can be some dashcam legality issues with audio in some states (one party or two party), video though is legal, there may be restrictions if you enter a military installation though
Yeah, we are in a normal street, non-military. I thought if you tell, inform the party that you are recording, you are legally cleared no? Hmm.

Yeah, we are in a normal street, non-military. I thought if you tell, inform the party that you are recording, you are legally cleared no? Hmm.

you only need to advise about the audio (not video) and whether or not you need to advise depends on what state you're in, that doesn't need to be verbal, a sign advising that recording is happening is ok

as to your home camera there may be issues if you have a camera setup to look into someone else's property, if it's common area though that shouldn't be an issue if that area is an entry to your place for example, check your local laws to be sure

California is a 'two-party' consent state when it comes to audio recording. But even then it only applies to 'confidential communications'.

just to add a bit more to this, the rules were based on wire tap, the way it gets interpreted is that if the audio could reasonably be heard by others without trying to intercept the conversation then it doesn't fall under this rule

I honestly didn't think this guy would just explode at me.
I mean, who does that. He just moved in, while the rest of us have been living there for 6 years now.
And usually, when somebody meets another for the first time, you don't just smart off or get angry at him. Especially your neighbor, whom you got to live next to.
That camera has been there for all these years, and no one else had a problem. And so have my dashcam.
Thanks to that jackass, now my HOA wants me to remove the outside camera :(. I said I will with a fair warning, should something happen to me, or my family, it's on you.
Also, decided to keep the camera inside my kitchen looking out the window which isn't against any HOA rules, unless they add a new line.
All I wanted was deterrence or evidence and was pointing at my door and common areas and was there for everybody's security.
As for my dashcam, I'm going to keep it in my truck. What the heck, I just bought it brand new, and spend an hour trying to hook it up. I'm not going to take that down.

Maybe he is making the blue stuff from his apt or is harboring illegals.

Lab-Breaking-Bad.jpg

Unless you can get the HOA to accept responsibility in writing, your fair warning won't mean diddly when something happens. Might want to consider getting together with some of your other neighbors and have your own conversation with the HOA.

KuoH

Thanks to that jackass, now my HOA wants me to remove the outside camera :(. I said I will with a fair warning, should something happen to me, or my family, it's on you.

Just disguise the camera in a plant or something.

planta.jpg

I honestly didn't think this guy would just explode at me.
I mean, who does that. He just moved in, while the rest of us have been living there for 6 years now.
And usually, when somebody meets another for the first time, you don't just smart off or get angry at him. Especially your neighbor, whom you got to live next to.
That camera has been there for all these years, and no one else had a problem. And so have my dashcam.
Also, decided to keep the camera inside my kitchen looking out the window which isn't against any HOA rules, unless they add a new line.
All I wanted was deterrence or evidence and was pointing at my door and common areas and was there for everybody's security.
As for my dashcam, I'm going to keep it in my truck. What the heck, I just bought it brand new, and spend an hour trying to hook it up. I'm not going to take that down.

We have freedom of the press. You as a blogger can record anything that might be newsworthy.
You might be able to claim your house cam is grandfathered.

Note through the door:

"Hi, I'm not the kind of neighbor to suddenly fall out with people. It's perfectly legal to have the cameras where I have them and if you have a problem with that you could just as well have spoken to me like a civilised adult, after all, I'm also one of those. You chose not to do that and decided threats were your best course of action. If you act on those threats, the police will be called. If not, I hope we can be good neighbors that can talk when we have this kind of problem. Take care"

Dont know about CA law but on both my recent trips to the USA I had a dashcam in my rentals in both Canada and right through the USA including a couple of weeks in California. Nobody said anything including a couple of cops I was talking to. (Friendly like) LOL

Back