USA Lawmakers Move One Step Closer Toward Ending Daylight Saving Time Change (permanently)

I've always hated DST but it got shoved down on us because business interests, mostly retail, argued it would increase business and that was that. Out elected officials do what there owners want and there owners are not us...

Brian

I would claim that with the amount of online shopping 24/7 today, daylight saving have lost its meaning if you play the business card.

I would claim that with the amount of online shopping 24/7 today, daylight saving have lost its meaning if you play the business card.

Actually no, without DST old style retailers with a brick and mortar presence will argue they will lost more business to online so they will be even more inclined to push for keeping DST. The idea being that with less daylight after work people needing to buy stuff will be more inclined to order online than venture out to a local store.

Brian

Nuts to the metric system-Two damn sets of tools! Fortunately as an A&P mechanic, at work ,there's no problem-Boeing has to use our system!
MAGA!

Nuts to the metric system-Two damn sets of tools! Fortunately as an A&P mechanic, at work ,there's no problem-Boeing has to use our system!
MAGA!

Car mechs have had two sets of tools, metric and imperial, for, well, decades. Show me any modern car that does not use metric even if they also use imperial. Of course, if the USA had completed metrification in the 70's as they said they would this would no longer be an issue at all, but too many holdouts said it was impossible even though numerous other countries did it!

Brian

Or, as I would prefer if we are going to have DST, stay on DST year 'round and always have the 'extra' daylight in the evening - all the benefit and none of the change hassle.

Yes move the 0 median to Copenhagen instead of Greenwich, what bad could possible come of that. :giggle:

Yes move the 0 median to Copenhagen instead of Greenwich, what bad could possible come of that. :giggle:
That's fighting talk mate. We may not have a decent navy any more, but we can still get at you through the Channel Tunnel. We don't have many soldiers either, but we can conscript a few migrants on the way.

If a TRUE daylight savings system is needed, do this: put the clocks forward an hour all year round, but only at 2pm. Then at 2am put the clocks back. At least that way we, the people, would get some benefit instead of businesses.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Surprised no-one mention Zulu! :)

Zulu is a TV channel here. http://zulu.tv2.dk/

Part of the TV2 station ( public but mainly / not totally funded by commercials and pay walls )

I've always hated DST but it got shoved down on us because business interests, mostly retail, argued it would increase business and that was that. Out elected officials do what there owners want and there owners are not us...

Brian
I am pretty sure that DST came about in the 1970's as a response to the energy crisis. The theory was by adjusting the daylight available less energy would be used. I am fairly sure the theortical energy savings does not happen.

I am pretty sure that DST came about in the 1970's as a response to the energy crisis. The theory was by adjusting the daylight available less energy would be used. I am fairly sure the theortical energy savings does not happen.
We keep it going on the basis that it saves lives, less people driving/walking/cycling around half asleep, proven to work by an experiment around 1970.

That will happen one day, it currently moves across the land surface at a speed of 2.5 cm per year so eventually you will have it, unfortunately for you, it is moving the other way so you will have to wait a very long time for it to make its way all the way around the Earth!

You forget our little "Green" island to the north/west, the sun do set on Denmark, but only for a little while every day

But while our island are indeed huge, then the gap are still large and we have a long long wait ahead of us before Greenwich time become Daneborg time ( Daneborg being the most eastern town on Greenland as far as i can see on google maps )

And that town are mighty small.
https://www.google.dk/maps/@74.3040802,-20.2314738,1042m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=da

Be that the reason or not and whether or not the energy savings were realized I still prefer DST. I can make a much better use of daylight at 9:00PM than I can at 4:30AM. I'd vote for DST year 'round - all the benefits and no hassles with changing twice a year.

You forget our little "Green" island to the north/west, the sun do set on Denmark, but only for a little while every day

But while our island are indeed huge, then the gap are still large and we have a long long wait ahead of us before Greenwich time become Daneborg time ( Daneborg being the most eastern town on Greenland as far as i can see on google maps )

And that town are mighty small.
https://www.google.dk/maps/@74.3040802,-20.2314738,1042m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=da
That is not going to work because Greenland is drifting away from the 0 line towards the west at a rate of about 2.5cm/year.

Of course it wont take Greenland as long to circle the Earth as most places since it is not so far to travel around the Earth up there!

"
The decision to tackle the issue was prompted after the Commission launched an online survey. Some 4.6 million Europeans answered the survey — three million of those respondents were from Germany — with 80 percent of them voting to scrap the practice.

Though critics say that is only a small percentage of the bloc's population, the European Commission argues it is doing what voters expect of it: dealing with big issues.
"

Very democratic the EU! If I had known about the poll then I might have voted, but I see the changes don't start until 3 days following the UK's departure from the EU, so we can keep our summer time :)
Germany is going to take all control once we have gone!

Back