Cam doesn't seem to loop record once the card fills up

rjk

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't know if it's just me or something, but it seems that once the card fills up, the camera does not erase the oldest file and start a new one - it just stops recording. I checked the card today, and the last recording was from a few weeks ago!
I turned on audio notifications and it doesn't say any kind of problem or error. I don't want to auto-format, because I want to keep a rolling history of videos. Anyone have any ideas?

After taking the card out and saving a new config to it (did not format), I then put it back in and it started recording as normal and looping as expected. I took it out later to verify and did have some new files, but I ran chkdsk just in case and found no issues. So hopefully it keeps working fine.

I would prefer if all dashcams could stick to using normal size SD cards, because then I could use industrial SLC disks in them for guaranteed performance. I don't really like microSD.

MicroSD is the way forward unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on where you stand)

is there really anything better than being able to store mass amounts of data on what is basically a fingernail??!

Well, one good reason to use MicroSD would be to plug it into my phone and read the files, but now manufacturers don't seem to be building in MicroSD support in phones either. So that leaves bluetooth or wifi connectivity, and neither of these ever work well on dashcams in my experience. My previous Lukas cam used a full size SD and it was the most reliable camera I've ever used.

Back