Cam for a Work Truck for security

ashevele

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello,

I own a mini bins business. I park my truck Ford F550 2014 and bins at the place which does not have any security cameras. It's basically an outside storage. A piece of land with fence around it and a gate. No electricity so no cameras. The guy parking beside me had his trailer stollen and apparently this happened few times before I started to store my equipment.

So, I figured if I get a dash cam for my truck so it records while it is parked there at night and another for my nissan that is parked there while I am driving the truck during the day I can prevent a possibility of some one stealing my equipment.

I am new to the dashcam world and not sure which dashcam will work for my situation and I am hoping some one here can point me in the right direction.

I need the dashcam to:
1. record while vehicle is in park. is there cameras that are triggered by motion? or is they just record every so often?

2. night vision

3. can not drain the battery

4. small and inconspicuous

5. dont' need a screen. memory card that I'd be able to read on my phone

I apprectiate any help or advice
thanks

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

I have some experience using a dash cam as a security camera three and half years ago. Used my two channel camera (obscure camera Iroad 3300 ch) which has low resolution, poor night vision, but a parking mode that caught a vandal jump between my home and my neighbors home some 10 to 20 feet from car. That camera is on its last legs and I rarely use it now, but I have purchased 4 others (one for a family member). The Viofo A119 has fantastic night vision. The vandal struck a few days before I capture him on my camera, but in low light conditions. As he set off the motion sensor for my neighbours home, I was able to get footage but it was still pretty bad. My A119 would have no problem with the light condtions

I don't know if the newer Viofo products have a parking mode that would detect motion.

I was running that camera off my battery. It would stop recording, even in parking mode after 6 hours.

Another option is a battery pack which allow for longer recording time, but not drain your car battery.

If you turn the screen off, The viofo products should be discreet if placed infront of a rear view mirror. Cameras made by Mobius would lack the screen and be more discrete.

Back