Cam for police encounters

Is there a market for a tiny, separate audio recorder, that can be hidden in the car? Looped audio segments, card that will hold days of audio? Preferably easily hardwired?

Maybe but I think you'd need to realise we are the minority on here, the enthusiasts, so it's hard to say if the general public as a whole would go for such a device. My inclination is to think most would be satisfied with the dashcam recording sound.

The recorder I posted above, has a high sensitivity microphone and is suitable for music / studio recording as well as dictation etc. So it should suffice. The real issue is going to be any conversations out of the vehicle - you out and recorder in, it's questionable as to how much will be heard. In a pocket, probably going to get obscured by rubbing sounds as it moves against the material. Outside on person in any event, might not end well if police search you and find you recording them. Probably more OK in EU than US in that regard. My tendency, would still be to activate the recorder and set it down in plain sight on the dash or in the console. If asked, you were about to start dictating. Don't think there's anything illegal about that in many jurisdictions (always check your local law) provided you were hands free.

Google best voice recorder and I'm sure you'll turn up a variety of brands, with a consensus on the best across several sites. Beyond that, it's hard to say on suitability beyond trying one in your car.

Last edited:
Back