Cam-friendly Tablet for Wifi Apps?

SawMaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Numerous and ever-changing
I've came across this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Smartab-...-Android-Operating-System/117380967#read-more
and not knowing anything about Android was wondering if it will do OK with the current wifi controlled dashcams? I know there may be better choices but I need this fast and I like a real keyboard plus the fact that it protects the screen when closed. As long as there's no glaring faults for my use I can live with the rest of it's reported issues.

Phil

If its Android 6.0 or newer 7.0 / 7.1 it should be optimal, older would probably also work with most cameras, i know my android 5.0 ( lollipop ) Asus tablet still work fine with the wifi cams i had my hands on.
But for a purchase today i would not bother with older than 6.0 ( marshmallow ) or 7.0 ( Nougat )

I haven't been able to find the specs on this one so it's really hard to say what the performance will be like.

From personal experience with tablets in general performance is less than a laptop and - like with dashcams - you get what you pay for.

I do have a couple of 'cheaper' Android tablets and it is possible to watch videos so if that's your primary use it may be OK. Overall system response will likely be sluggish at best. I have not tried to do any dashcam related wifi functions with either my tablets or phone - yet.

Good new is it's cheap so if it doesn't work out you have a minimal investment. (y)

It's Android 6.0 Marshmallow and reviewed as slow but I can live with that. Just need it mostly to run cam apps and to view cards from my cams while on the road. It can be powered from USB so the small battery is no problem. The price is the max I can spend. I can get it in a couple days which is also important, but I'm open to suggestions ;)

Phil

Some of these systems are cheap for a reason, either packing few cores or maybe plenty cores ( 4 ) but then some less than good performing CPU
And they will also cut corners with the amount of RAM in the machine, here i would also say you need 4 Gb even if you are not doing a lot of multitasking.

If you intend to use it for action cameras too then you might want to check that it can play 4K video files, not really feasible over wifi but if you want to delete the rubbish off a memory card to make space for more without access to a computer then not being able to play 4K videos might be a big issue. Used to require a top spec one for 4K, I suspect it is standard on the ones with newer video processors now?...

1GB system memory with 32GB onboard storage memory which can be added to via SD card. No 4K stuff; will be 1440P at most and probably just 1080P.

Yeah as you can tell I'm pretty lost with this stuff :rolleyes:

Phil

1GB system memory with 32GB onboard storage memory which can be added to via SD card. No 4K stuff; will be 1440P at most and probably just 1080P.

Yeah as you can tell I'm pretty lost with this stuff :rolleyes:

Phil
I wasn't suggesting that it needed a 4K screen, just the ability to show you what is in a 4K file, the screens are too small to need 4K. Although being able to play 4K over HDMI to a 4K TV might be good.

Most camera apps are pretty simple, don't need much processing power. Being able to adjust the settings is good, and being able to adjust the view using live view, but they are not much use for anything more than that so the apps don't get much use.

I've never really needed a keyboard on the tablet, the on-screen one is big enough to use on an 8 or 10 inch screen, not like using it on a phone.

Thought I'd do a follow-up :)

Pros:
The wifi works quite well- much better than my cheap HP laptop built-in wifi does.

Cons:
It works but it is slow- I'm OK with that but most users won't be. Touchscreen can be slow to respond requiring several taps. Can't use keyboard and the SD card at the same time; it's one or the other (Wasn't mentioned anywhere till I read the user manual :mad:) . The small wall charger gets very warm and themanual suggests lowering screen brightness when powered by charger.

Loaded the B1W app but haven't used it. I have a fairly fast internet connection but that took about 5 minutes. I'm still learning the Android OS and it's not too bad so far. Had to order online then do an in-store pickup to get the discounted price.

Conclusion:
I can't recommend this tablet to any serious user but if you can get it on sale like I did it may be worth the price if you just need a basic Android device right now like I did. I'm sure there are much better choices online if you have time for them to ship. Wouldn't have bought had I known about the SD card/keyboard conflict.

Thanks for everyone's help with this :D

Phil

Thought I'd do a follow-up :)
You might be able to adjust the touch screen sensitivity to make it more usable, or maybe use a touch screen stylus/pen to operate it if it doesn't like your fingers.
If you can't use the SD slot while using keyboard, maybe you can still use a OTG card reader or OTG cable and standard card reader.

This is the "G1W" or "DVR 027" level of tablets and I don't think there's much adjustability to it. So far I can make it do what I need and that's good enough for me ;)

Phil

Back