Cam on Dash not Screen.

bruno8

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, does anybody have any info regarding a camera that you sit on the dash and not a suction cup on screen. TIA.

A few have done it, but its untraditional.
May i ask why you want the dashcam down there ?

Look for a camera that can be attached to alternative mounts and which can have its recordings inverted. Cams that I've mounted upside-down on the dash top include: Cobra 840, Mobius and JooVuu.

Mounts such as the one in the link >>here<< have a screw holding the top and bottom of the mount together and the screw can be replaced by one long enough to go through the mount and into the dashboard top if you want, with the adhesive back preventing rotation of the mount.
Often the textured dash top surface will make it difficult to attach a mount purely with adhesive tape or suction cup.

However, suction cups will attached to something like this >>link<< although it might not be secure in an accident.

Picture below from an experiment that I did a couple of years ago, with angled Mobius cameras on the mounts in the link above, with the mounts screwed to the dash top.

Attachments

• PICT0267.jpg
    PICT0267.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 20
My first "dash" cam was mounted on my dash, it was more of a cheap spy-cam than a dash cam, but like literally 100% of people who have used cameras on the dash (or at the lowest point on their screen), the viewing angle isn't optimal, especially in stationary traffic when almost bumper to bumper and something happens directly in front of you, you can miss registration plates and even brakelights/indicators, weakening your argument if in a crash

My first "dash" cam was mounted on my dash, it was more of a cheap spy-cam than a dash cam, but like literally 100% of people who have used cameras on the dash (or at the lowest point on their screen), the viewing angle isn't optimal, especially in stationary traffic when almost bumper to bumper and something happens directly in front of you, you can miss registration plates and even brakelights/indicators, weakening your argument if in a crash

If the camera is mounted close to the windscreen in the wiper sweep area near the driver's A-pillar it usually gets a good view. I've attached a screenshot capture showing what my dash-top-mounted (near A-pillar) JooVuu sees.

Attachments

• PICT2297.jpg
    PICT2297.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 23
Adaptors similar to this one >>link<< can help get the camera in the best position (only applies to 1/4" tripod-thread cameras such as JooVuu and Mobius).

It's not my only cam in that car. I have two (angled) Mobius tucked behind the rear view mirror which, between them, cover a very wide angle.
I find an A-pillar camera also gives a fairer view of what I can see compared to a centrally mounted camera, and also has a good view along the centre of the road so it can see past the vehicle in front of me.
Attached is a screenshot of what the three cams combined see. I had to massively shrink the image to create a file small enough to upload resulting in a lot of detail being lost.

Attachments

• M1LRJ2 30.png
    M1LRJ2 30.png
    776.5 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for all your opinions on this question.
I drive a 17 plate focus and find that the central sensor pod ends to far down the screen to accommodate a standard suction cup fit camera.
I will look in to alternative mounting methods and post again if I find a resolution to this.
Regards to all.

a lot of new cars have too much going on around the rear view mirror these days

Back